Thread: Making one car from two...

My Cars
    328i

Making one car from two...

Alright the deal I'm working on now is I'm trying to pick up a wrecked 2003 and a solid 2001 (both 540i's). The 2003 has been rolled, the roof and trunk are smooshed, has no keys, and a salvage title. The 2001 is straight and clean, clear title, keys, etc, etc, but the engine is seized. I'm hoping to make one car from both...but my first hurdle is making sure the 2003 engine is in running condition. The guy says he drove it off the trailer a year ago to where it is parked now so maybe.

To start, busting the column apart to get to the switch is not a big deal...but not having the chipped key kind of is. Can I pull the ECU out of the 2001 and stick it into the 2003, and use the chip from the 2001 key to start the car? I did something similar with an Audi some years ago but that car stored the transponder code in the ECU...I don't know how the BMW handles it.

My Cars
    328i
    Barring the above suggestion...would the BMW allow me to crank it without the key? The Audi scenario I had encountered in the past locked me out of everything without the key.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    How did he drive it w/o a key?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    328i
    It's sat for a year after his kid rolled it. Not everyone keeps up with stuff like that very well.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    You need the key because the EWS will not allow the engine to start otherwise. What you could try to do is swap the 2001's DME, EWS, and ignition key cylinder to the 2003, that should allow you to start it in theory. The important thing is to keep the components together— the EWS will not allow the engine to start if it's not synced to the DME.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    328i
    Thanks! Will it allow me to crank it without swapping the EWS or DME? I'd like to be able hear it run but for the right price I probably won't care.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    Thanks! Will it allow me to crank it without swapping the EWS or DME? I'd like to be able hear it run but for the right price I probably won't care.
    Nope, the EWS will prevent it from starting.

The easiest method would be to take the title to a BMW dealer and buy a cheap valet key for the car. It'll cost a lot less than a remote key and it'll let you start the engine without doing any electrical tricks. After you pull everything apart you could make that money back by selling the DME, EWS, ignition cylinder, and key as a matched set on eBay.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    328i
    I meant just to crank it....not the start it. It'll probably be enough for me if it cranks without making a any wierd noises and has compression on all eight.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    I have a little push button set up with a couple of clamps that is designed for remote starting whilst wrenching. Probably got it from harbage freight.
    That would do what you want, just gotta get one of the clamps down on the starter

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You could swap the EWS, DME and cluster(so no tamper dot) to the wreck. Stick the matching key into the switch for the antenna to read it and turn the switch with a screwdriver after removing it from the column.
    My rule of thumb is if it's wrecked it was probably moving under it's own power when it happened so a running engine seems moot point. Condition is another.
    If the car has front damage look carefully for accessory mount and/or timing case damage.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe buy a valet key for the '03 from the dealer, should cost that much.
    You could then start it and when your done sell the EWS, LCM, Cluster, DME, ign switch, key, etc to recoup some of your costs.

My Cars
    328i
    Anyone know how much a valet key costs?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Maybe buy a valet key for the '03 from the dealer, should cost that much.
    You could then start it and when your done sell the EWS, LCM, Cluster, DME, ign switch, key, etc to recoup some of your costs.
    Is the LKM also part of the "aligned" group?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Ask the owner of that '03 to order a valet key from dealership and you pay for it if he don't want to, it's a reasonable expense to be sure that you're not buying a peace of junk after all
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination