Thread: Best correct code reader for e46?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Best correct code reader for e46?

I bought an OBII code reader on-line..$22 for my Audi back in 2007. As I discovered soon after, it did not actually read codes, but instead did erase codes! So when my Audi was scheduled for emissions inspection, I would erase codes some 40 miles before driving into the inspection bay! It has worked this way for me for 11 years. My Audi always passed!

Code reader sellers of less than honest may still lurk...knowing this, I want a real code reader for my new-used 325xi.

Is there a 'real' code reader available for this BMW car that is under $300, a real deal code reader giving real info for the 325xi?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You own a laptop with a USB connector? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-DCAN-O...oAAOSwHMJYCDyh
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    golf
    Hello, there are lots of tools dedicated for bmw under $300, actually for your model you can get a very comprehensive pack at around $30-$40.

Not only that you can diagnose it and see live data but you can enable different features by coding it with NcsExpert, for example you can enable/disable DRL's, lock doors after a certain speed, fold mirrors from keyfob if you have folding mirrors, roll windows up/down from keyfob and so on.. here is an example how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZqfl_dz0xM

good luck!

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I have one of the cables mentioned above, but am still working on getting a laptop setup to use it. I'm sure that it will turn out to be the best option for doing anything and everything that might need to be done. I also have a Carly unit, which is wireless and works in conjunction with an app (IOS or Android). It works pretty well when it comes to reading codes and doing basic coding. I also have a Foxwell NT510, which is a self contained handheld reader which will read and clear OBDII and BMW specific codes. It also has the capability to code/register new parts, clear adaptations, etc.

I really can't comment on using the cable with a laptop yet, but from what I've seen, it is going to be the most difficult to setup (for those that have never done it before) and the least convenient to use.

The Carly, in theory, comes across as being convenient to use, but I've found it to be a bit of a pain to actually use. You have to change the wireless settings on your portable device to connect to it and once you're connected, you can't access the internet to look up what the scanner is telling you. I also paid extra to be able to reset service intervals, but that option does not work with my car for some reason and tech support has been no help in resolving the issue. All they've told me is that not all options work on all cars.

Of the two handheld options I've tried (Carly and Foxwell) the NT510 has worked the best for me. It's easy to use, does what it should in terms of reading and clearing codes and I've used it to reset adaptations. You just plug it in, it powers up and you use it. I've found it to be much more convenient than the Carly. The downside is that tech support is a bit iffy because support comes from people that really don't speak english. It hasn't been a problem for me because I haven't needed tech support yet.

Both the Carly and Foxwell NT510 cost under $200.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I use the OBDFusion app on my iPhone. The app cost $10 ($4 for the android version). iOS uses a wifi communications adapter while android products use a Bluetooth adapter. The adapter plugs into the obd2 port. OBDFusion allows you to read and clear codes (natch) and to log data that can be exported for analysis on a conputer. Go to E46Fanatics and search for threads on OBDFusion in in which jfoj has commented. He's the guru. Best ~$25 I've ever spent.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I have used this Actron pocket scan tool for the last 5 years or so. It doesn't do the more advanced codes, but you can probably get it locally for $50 or less at an Autozone or Advanced auto parts.