Thread: USB or 5v or 12v power

My Cars
    some

USB or 5v or 12v power

After I first got my e34 one of the disappointing things was the only 12V cig outlet was in the ashtray, and it didn't work.
    For now the main thing is getting power to a dashcam so I was going to wire something through a filter/voltage reducer PCB from the interior lights or sunroof motor for a short USB cable from there to behind the mirror for the dashcam. I'm just going to take apart the 12v to usb adapter that came with the dashcam and hard wire it.

But later I thought I might want to run something through maybe the glovebox or somewhere for phone charging or GPS etc. What have people here done for 12v cig or 5v USB power outlets? Ideas or pics would be great.
    Last edited by fo3; 06-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    some
    Also, another quick random question if this thread is a waste of time: Does the main check/control display on the dash normally follow an error up with a date and time?
    Last week I drove just around the corner because I was lazy and when jumping in my car I heard a bell but didn't look at the display because as I was pulling out into traffic. When I glanced at the c/c it just had a time and date on it. I couldn't pull anything off the c/c after I got home. I restarted the car to see if it would happen again but nothing. I can't pull any codes since my car doesn't have a check engine light.

Also can't find anything to say that a time and date shows up when a fault occurs. All I can think of is alarm/immobiliser went off because I took too long to start the car after turning alarm off so it may have triggered. But it's probably got an aftermarket alarm/immob so doesn't make sense for the cc display to show anything about that. This random alarm and just a date and time shown when I eventually looked only happened twice, both times last week (wed and fri)

So to end my rambling, what can the cc possibly show that has a message (that I missed), followed by date and time, but it never repeats the message once I have started the car and doesn't do it again for days?
    Last edited by fo3; 06-25-2017 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    2nd USB cable from radio which can be used for light duty charging,

Cheap 1 port USB charging adapter with a switch so you can charge a phone with the ignition off.

Then added a 2 port USB charging adapter,

demet

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Your hazard switch is upside down

My Cars
    some
    That's always a hazard.
    Thanks demetk

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
    Your hazard switch is upside down
    Ha, I would never have known.
    demet

My Cars
    hiss by my window

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Does your car have the torch recharge socket in the glovebox? I know of there being a USB adapter that fits it so that might be an option and with that you could subtly run the wires through the glovebox up the passenger side pillar. Then again, your idea of wiring it off from the sunroof motor would probably look cleaner. I tend to just run my cam of it's own battery and then plug it in to charge when not in use.

As for the CC error, were there arrows on either side of the message on the dash? It's also possible there was an error but it fixed itself almost immediately. I had such things happen when I had frayed wires in the trunk.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Did your interior lights come on briefly with the "gong"? The switch in my driver door latch has worn down to the point it will give a signal that my door is open, which causes a gong and a quick activation of the interior lights.

Just a thought

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I installed this Anker dual 2.4a charger in the center console. Ran power straight to the battery with an inline 5a fuse. I love it.

Last edited by Sir Montalbon; 06-26-2017 at 09:43 AM.

My Cars
    Are you sure that it is a 2.4a charger ? Most of the stuff on the market is lies about this. Download "ampere" from the play store, then hook it to each charging port and see the actual current being fed into your phone. Wait about 2 minutes for the current to stabilize. Don't be surprised if you see an average of 0.5a, which is useless for today's devices. If you see 1 or 1.2 amps, you're lucky.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    What good would that do? an app is not a multimeter.
    Charge rates are controlled by phone, not the socket.
    That's why they slow down.

And yes, anker is very good, well known, and it is a dual 2.4amp.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
    What good would that do? an app is not a multimeter.
    The phone has a ammeter in its circuitry. You'd have to used complicated ssd codes to see this. With the app, it is displayed easily.

Charge rates are controlled by phone, not the socket. That's why they slow down.
    Agreed, but the phone cannot push the charger beyond its designed limit even if it wants to. There is much false advertising over cig lighter phone chargers.

And yes, anker is very good, well known, and it is a dual 2.4amp.
    So, at least one socket alone will charge at 2.4 amps peak current ? In that case, thank you, I'll get one.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    It seems to charge two new iPhone's, simultaneously, perfectly fine. But thank you for your un-solicited concern.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    It seems to charge two new iPhone's, simultaneously, perfectly fine. But thank you for your un-solicited concern.
    It's Roberto, Andrew, pick one of the other dozen names he's used before getting the boot. He can't help himself.
    Counting down to ban time...........
    Last edited by ross1; 06-28-2017 at 11:35 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    It's Roberto, Andrew, pick one of the other dozen names he's used before getting the boot. He can't help himself.
    Counting down to ban time...........
    I figured as much. It's hard to miss the signature of his broad theoretical diatribes, founded in what taste like zero relevant experience.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Thank you for your needless sarcasm, and my apologies if me being precise offends your fragile sensibilities.