RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E93 Convertible top malfunction

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328ci

E93 Convertible top malfunction

Hello,

I was closing the hard top on my 2007 E93 convertible. The top closed properly, but the motor would no stop running. The top had been working perfectly up until this point. I had to remove the power supply connected to the module on the battery to get the motor to stop. When I reconnected the power supply, the top will now not open. The motor does not work at all. The latches unlock and the windows roll down and that's it.

Are there specific fuses for the motor?

I ordered 2 relays that are connected to the motor. They are relatively inexpensive and I've read that they could be the problem.

Do you have any ideas why the motor would not stop and why it now will not run?

Thanks

My Cars
    330d E93 2009
    how did you get on with that mate?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328ci
    I'm still waiting for the relays. Will know soon.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328ci
    Hi,

I changed the relays and it did not solve the problem. I took it in to be diagnosed by BMW. They opened and closed the top manually and said the mechanics were fine.
    They determined it was the motor/hydraulic pump. They quoted me $3955 to replace.

I decided to take the motor off of the hydraulic unit and have it looked at. While I was doing this I noticed a lose connection in the motor. So I soldered the connection as I had nothing to lose. I put the motor back in and the top worked perfectly.

I will attach pictures soon to show exactly what the problem was. I hope this will help someone in the future.

I almost spent $4000 and was able to fix the problem at no expense and 20 minutes of work.

My Cars
    2010 E93 335i
    Good job!!
    I have e93 end on the roof i found mount, if you knew- what for it is?InkedIMG_4335.jpg

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible
    I've owned 4 BMW cars and two M/C's. What you experienced is the real Robber Baron BMW dealership world. Even the aftermarket shops do the same. If you cannot afford to pay, then don't own a Beemer. BUT, if you have a techical backgroundand can think out problems - you can fix it yourself as you have done. Ive replaced/repaired what turned out to be loose or broken wires, simple adjustments and inexpensive (module) replacements that have saved $1,000's - most for nothing more than my time and effort. Almost all with the help of these forums. Kudo's to you and those like you who don't give in, pay the piper but still drive this incredible car.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Jeez, Tony....

Out of 4 posts you've made, two have been to ancient threads, out of nowhere: This one five years old, and the other FIFTEEN years old.

And in one of these replies, you joined in to badmouth BMW, claiming faulty design, while delivering your completely non-applicable fix for an E46.... to an E36 thread.

On the remainder of your posts, you've bad-mouthed BMW dealerships, AND independent repair shops, and scolded the experienced, very helpful JDStrickland, who was trying to warn you away from "coding out" adaptive headlights rather than fixing them properly. You advised him to watch youboob videos and use Chinese crap instead of paying attention to his sage advice!

On this forum, we have a large number of exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced owners, dealership techs, and independent-shop BMW techs, racers, etc.: and we're all here, giving our time and experience for free. We don't appreciate your characterizing many thousands of hard working honest people as "Robber Barons".

And, by the way, they are "Bimmers".

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i Convertibl
    Hi Astar5,

It appears the exact same thing happened with my e93. Can you clarify on which wire was loose? I'm hoping mine ends up being a simple fix like yours was. Thank you very much!