Thread: 2011 750Li xDrive.....good car??

My Cars
    2001 740il

2011 750Li xDrive.....good car??

Found this locally at a high end dealer, been wanting a car like this for a long time, turning 50 next month and this would fit the bill for sure. decent service history on car fax, what else should I look for and does it seem like a good prize to start? Stopped by tonight as they were closing and is sure was pretty, dealership owner was driving it home and let me check it out quick inside and under the hood. Any insight would be great, thanks in advance.

http://www.prestigemcars.com/2011_BM..._268376957.veh

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Ok thanks.

My Cars
    They are amazing cars. Just don't expect to put gas in it and drive it forever. They require ongoing maintenance and repairs. If you're expecting Japanese reliability, and cheap repairs, look elsewhere. That car cost $100k when it was new, so expect repair bills to reflect that high entry price tag.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I'm aware of the repair and maint costs but also heard of high mileage electrical issues and oil leaks??? True or was that the previous generations. With the mileage I would be putting on it, max 10K/yr or much less, I was hoping I could enjoy it......any particular issues I should be aware of or just the normal wear and tear. Thanks

My Cars
    bmw 750i xdrive
    this is my first post but i want to help you out with my own experience. i own a 2013 750i xdrive for about 3 years now. i had turbo coolant line changed, 2 struts changed, and the rear right door sunshade issues. all repaired under warranty. however, the turbo coolant line is starting to leak again now. other than those issues, the car is awesome and the one you re looking at is pretty nice, and it got lots of options. the car does seem to burn a lot of oil. i always have a couple of quart of oils in the trunk.

my advice is: check the struts for leaks. remove the engine cover and check the coolant line going into the turbos for leaks. pictured here: http://i.imgur.com/85qyLuk.jpg
    open the coolant tank reserve cap(not the one by the alternator), and see if it its low. if its low chances are it is leaking coolant somewhere.

run the car up to operating temperature before going for a test drive see if any CEL lights will come up.

if i was in your shoe, i would get a 2013. 2013 has a lot of changes. even a 740 2013 is newer looking than the 2011. check here: http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car...50dde23692.htm

goood luck.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    No it is absolutely not. N63 is the worst thing to happen to humanity since bubonic plague.
    run...unless you love oil and coolant leaks and spending thousands every year to keep it on the road, then by all means, enjoy

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yea the turbos in the v of the engine, coolant lines on top of the turbos and the lovely oil return plate which can leak a ton of oil. To replace the plate you have remove almost every thing in the valley of the engine, plus they don't even vent the hood. Stupid engineering.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    OK, no go!!!!! Thanks.

My Cars
    Look into 740's. Same luxury, just lighter on the wallet. Lacking about 100 horsepower, but still has plenty of power and torque on tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '01 s54 M Coupe; '11 750
    You are getting a bit of misinformation and heavy bias here. The N63 has definitely had some issues, and the maintenance can be expensive. But remember, you are buying a V8 Twin Turbo engine... a configuration that has historically been found in exotic sports cars. A $100k car is going to require the maintenance of $100k car, no matter what the used price is. If you want care free, go buy a Honda/Toyota/Tesla. Unfortunately, sometimes it is just a trade-off.

That being said, the N63 engine has been put into tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of BMWs for about 4-5 years. They are not all ticking time bombs. Our family has an '09 and an '11. The '09 does burn a bit of oil (like most BMWs these days), and had a slight transmission tick until it was fixed for $160 in parts. The '11 has been trouble free except for a minuscule coolant leak that cost less than $5 to fix. Both have almost 50k on the odometers, and were purchased used. I would have no problem buying an N63 again with the right due diligence.

I also have an s54 M Coupe. Despite being named one of the ten best engines for multiple years, the s54 engine had a bad rap after a batch of bad bearings caused some of the early engines to grenade. Is it a concern when buying used? Yes, but it is considered a maintenance item for owning a high-end engine. Does it mean the car (e46 M3 / M Coupe & Roadster) are junk? Absolutely not, and the rising values attest to that.

(Almost off my soapbox.) You might want to shop around as well. The price on the car listed seems high considering the mileage. Again, do your homework, and don't be in a rush. You'll find something great.