Thread: E36 M3 subframe bushing DIY?

My Cars
    X3 M40i

E36 M3 subframe bushing DIY?

I need to replace my worn OEM subframe bushings with AKG poly bushings on my 98 M3. I can't seem to find a comprehensive DIY for the life of me. Is anyone aware of one for our cars?

Also -- can someone who has done this give me a time / PITA estimate for the job? I'm trying to determine if it's realistic to plan to do this in a parking lot in a single 10 hour day. I'm a relative novice, but I have a bushing press set (link below), Milwaukee FUEL cordless impacts and recently replaced my diff and trans mounts so this won't be the first time I drop exhaust, diff, axle half-shafts. I'll have a helper for part of day.

The biggest PITA step seems to be removing original bushings -- my plan is the blowtorch and bushing press method (heat subframe then use press to remove bushings).

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/...l-set-oem.html

Thanks.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    that's the accepted method sucky as it is unless you have custom made arbors (no burning required). Too many variables to estimate time needed. Have a spare car on hand just in case..

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    With two people it shouldn't take much time to get everything disconnected and drop the subframe (either all as one unit with the diff and hubs, or by itself with everything removed). The biggest variable is how long it takes to get the old bushings out. You'll also really want that helper for when you put it all back together. I recently had to get my diff back in solo lying on my back under the car working the jack with my legs to get it in position. Not fun or fast.

With a helper I'd guess 4 hours combined for disassembly and reassembly, plus whatever it takes to do the bushings in between.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Burn the bushings out. A propane torch will do the trick. The key is not burning the bushings themselves, rather the housing around the bushings. They will literally fall right out. Takes just a few minutes and you don't even break a sweat.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Do you daily drive the car? If so, you may want to reconsider going poly. I've spent the past few weeks undoing all the poly bushings the previous owner put in my car. Way more happy with the ride quality.

On the bright side, if you do change your mind after the fact, poly bushings are really easy to remove.

Also -- can someone who has done this give me a time / PITA estimate for the job? I'm trying to determine if it's realistic to plan to do this in a parking lot in a single 10 hour day.
    Not sure what the weather is like in SF right now, but I could not do this job in 10 hours with the current weather in Socal. Subframe with this heat is easily a complete weekend job for me. Heat stroke is no joke.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 06-25-2017 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Just did this on my car. I found the best way for the subframe bushings was to drill a bunch of holes in the rubber around the inner metal sleeve. Then you can hit the sleeve out with a hammer and then take a sawzall (or hacksaw if you have more patience then me lol) and cut through the outer metal part of the bushing and it comes right out with a couple of taps with a hammer. I tried burning them out first (like said above) but the rubber was just too thick.

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    I DIY almost everything on the car except this crap--took it to a pro with the right experience and tools. Never broke a sweat that way, either!
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    I've done this on my back in a driveway and 10 hours sounds about right. Of course, give yourself some leeway for the inevitable "oops".

For a DIY, the Bentley is your best bet, but it's easy to see how everything comes apart. Torque values on reassembly are the important part. Make sure to reconnect your control arms before putting the diff back in because you can't put the bolts in with the diff in the way. I've used both the burn out method and a bushing press kit like the one you linked. I much prefer the press kit for cleanliness and speed.

My Cars
    Many
    Did this in a day by myself. As mentioned above, drill a bunch of holes in the bushing. I soaked mine in WD40 and then set them on fire. The heat pushes the bushing right out and it makes me feel like Jimmy Hendricks.