Thread: my 535i wont start...I screwed up...help please

My Cars
    535i

BMW F10 blower motor noise repair

guys...i was working on cleaning my blower motor and i removed the blowermotor. there was a red power wire feeding the electrical box on top of the blower motor. i am not sure what that is for. i removed the wire and i even covered it up with electrical tape but it touched the ground rod and caused a small spark...i suspect it blew some fuse.

I started getting drivetrain stop error right after and now my car would not start. i measured voltage too but i dont see any voltage on that wire.
    Also my blower motor is not running...the controls show fan is on and on full but no motor running.

i have no idea where it is being fed from. there are so many fuse and i dont want to remove each one of them to check.
    can someone guide me where is the fuse located.
    i made a small video on what i am talking about. i will appreciate any help

its a 2012 535i

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCZ7NC5ZgI

here is a video i made on all this...hopefully someone else wont make the same mistake i did.

How to remove leaves/debri from blower motor BMW F10:

https://youtu.be/J4HcNS2kvuQ

How to fix the Blower motor housing with missing foam:

https://youtu.be/BCVUEqUItok

Last edited by dewana421; 07-04-2017 at 02:50 PM.

My Cars
    2014 550 MSport
    Sounds expensive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    There are 2 fuse boxes in your car, one is behind the passenger tail lamp on the passenger quarter panel and accessed through a door in the trunk carpet.

The remaining fuses are in the JBE (Junction Box Electronics), behind the glovebox. To see those you can remove a trap door in the back of the glovebox, but to reach/change any of them you need to pull the glovebox and passengers knee airbag out. Fuse71 in the JBE is the main power supply to the blower, but I think you have deeper issues than that.

There is also a power distribution box that saddles the battery. Remove the trunk floor liner and you'll see it. Remove the red top cover to reveal the non-servicable high amp fuses. Test them with a DMM and see if any are blown. If any are blown you have to replace this as an assembly. KL30 originates here, and is where the likely failure lies.

Now those things said. The module that is on top of the blower motor housing is called the Integrated Supply Module, Z11. It has the lug on it you shorted out. It also has a dozen or more integrated fuses under the sealed housing (the long rectangle bit with the vent) that are not serviceable. You may very well have smoked one of those as well.

That's about all I can give you as a starting point. I would verify the fuses are all intact on the battery mounted power distribution box first since that is the easiest to reach and cross off the list. I would then check the fuse panel on the passenger quarter panel.

Report back with your findings and maybe I can be of more assistance.
    Last edited by Stück; 06-24-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    535i
    Thank you so much...
    i will try from there today and report back....i know for a fact that the only time short occured was when i removed the wire from integrated Suppy Module, Z11. the single thick flat red wire was open and away from the module when it shorted to ground for a split second. i am not sure if that wire is supposed to carry positive DC or not because right now its dead and no DC is there. no Neg no Pos.
    where is that fuse 71 located under the dash? do you know the size of that fuse? i cannot locate any diagram showing the location. I was able to pull the lower airbag and glovebox and i can see the fuse box but there are so many of them. not sure which one is fuse 71.

My Cars
    535i
    IMG_5097.jpgIMG_5094.jpg

update:
    ok so i troubleshooted the issue and found this....
    on top of the battery i did found the distribution box and i can see that the same lead that i had lifted and had shorted has no power on the feed side. i checked with a volt meter and no voltage on the feed side of the black thing indicating its fused. It says 32V on there..not sure what it means...32volts wont make sense.

now the question is i did found a plenty of spare ones on my distribution but there is no info as to what is the sizIMG_5096.jpge of the fuse and if i can just plug it in to one of the spare ones and make it work. the writing on top of the black fuse does not matches the ones on the spare so i am not sure. it doesnt event say the amp rating on the fuse (i am assuming the black little box i am pointing in the picture is fuse and not some relay).
    can i move the wire to any spare? do you know the amp rating on mine that is bad and on the spares?
    i will appreciate any help
    Last edited by dewana421; 06-26-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: pictures

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    The fuses are not given a rating because the assembly is not meant as servicable. Its about $200 new and the dealer most likely has it in stock. Buy it and change it out.

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    The fuses are not given a rating because the assembly is not meant as servicable. Its about $200 new and the dealer most likely has it in stock. Buy it and change it out.

ah ok...i just ordered the part...hope to have it in a day or two as the seller is in Florida. i will update as soon as I try it.
    thanks again for the guidance. really appreciate it.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    You're very welcome, happy to be of assistance.

My Cars
    535i
    Update2:
    Ok so I replaced the distribution part and car is now running and no more alarms. The only problem I am having now is that the blower motor is not running.
    The only thing I did was remove it and picked up the leaves from inside and put it back. It was working fine. Why it's not working?
    i read at different forms that blower resister sometimes goes bad but I didnt even do anything so why would it go bad?

I couldn't check the Fuse71 in the JBE as I am not sure which one is it. No numbering and I couldn't find any info in manual. can you tell me the location?
    What could be the problem?
    Last edited by dewana421; 06-30-2017 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Sorry bud, I don't log on here often.

You likely have a blown fuse on another circuit above and beyond the rear distribution box. I suspect something at the front distribution panel/JBE. It's not labeled or covered in the operators manual because operators have no business in there.

Fuse 71 isn't serviceable as far as I can see, at least its listed as non-replacable. If its blown you would need to replace the front power distribution/fuse panel. That job is above your pay grade, you would need to have professionals with coding equipment carry that out.

Just the same have a look. F71 is a 40A fuse, should be an orange ATO if its in there. Use a DMM to check all of them. Most of the fuses in this panel are Mini ATM.

The circuit for the blower is pretty simple, I've attached it here along with a diagram of the front panel with F71 noted.

In the future the best advise I can give you is to disconnect the battery before you tackle a DIY project. These cars are highly complex, and there is a lot of harm you can accidentally do as you're learning.

My Cars
    535i

my 535i wont start...I screwed up...help please

Thank you for all the info sir. I really appreciate you helping...I am going through so much stress.

Few Question:
    I am attaching a picture of the fuse box underneath the passenger side airbag and glove compartment. Is this front Distribution panel/JBE? if yes then it doesn't match the diagram you sent.
    when you say F71 and Fuse71 from what i am understanding is its one fuse not two separate fuse. Am i right?
    I checked all the 40amp fuses under my passenger side glovebox area (see picture below) and all the 40amps are good. All getting voltage on both side.
    is one of those fuses F71?

so if i follow your diagram that you listed, how do i check power pass the F71? like say terminal N21B or N23B or right at blower output stage N2? where are they located. I am an electrical engineer by profession so i am good at troubleshooting but it becomes harder when no diagram or location is unknown.
    If i can prove i have power right at the blower output stage then it will verify that power is good and maybe something wrong with blower resister or fan. just need to know where to check.
    can you see if there is a more precise wiring for my vehicle based on VIN?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dewana421; 07-06-2020 at 02:13 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    The diagram I posted isn't a literal map, it is a electrical diagram... that is the best ISTA has to illustrate.

Check for power at the blower motor housing connector, N2*1B or the final stage resistor N2. If there is power there F71 is obviously good. If there is not I would assume *from here* the front junction box is toast. ISTA states quite plainly that F71 is non-replacable, I was just suggesting a double check.

You may also want to verify the blower is actually plugged in, and with the ignition on give it a little nudge incase the commutator/brushes aren't seated well.

Now you're starting to get into things that require hands on time and ISTA/D to assist. I'm curious if the IHKA is not sending a command request to the final stage over LIN bus due to faults present, but you can't determine that without a proper diagnostic setup like ISTA.

Last edited by Stück; 07-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    535i
    man i cannot thank you enough for all the help you have been giving me.
    so today i got time to troubleshoot...decided to take it all apart (including disconnecting the battery). In doing so when i got to the blower assembly i noticed that it was missing a wire plug on one of the connectors. I immediately pulled the video i was making during initial disassembly (for my youtube channel to help other fix car issues) and noticed that the first time while i was disassembling there was a cable there however it was missing this time..I then proceeded with removing the motor assembly and saw the cable stuck underneath it...i then decided to put everything back the way it was and plug that cable in. i connected the power to battery and tried starting the car. the car wouldn't start and this time giving me bunch of different errors like brake fail, train malfunction etc. ofcourse i panicked more but then something told me these cars have so many computers so maybe i started it too soon after connecting power. i then turned off the ignition and locked the car. left it alone for 15 mins and came back..started and everything started fine including the AC, blowerfan. all speed function working fine and no noise.
    i am so happy now.
    i guess what happened is during the reinstallation of the motor that control wire probably got pinched underneath and i couldnt see it. and maybe i rushed in and did not notice that one plug with no wire.
    I FEEL SO STUPID...
    well lesson learned. and ofcourse i learned alot about the car during this troubleshoot and with your help. So i really really really thank you for all the help you gave me.
    i will definately make sure that i help someone else to pass on the deed in anything that i am a SME on.
    i will post the video on youtube so it will help someone else with lesson learned.
    thanks again!!!!!!

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    No worries, glad to have helped you to the resolution you were seeking.

Just goes to show, never trust the work that came before you. Especially if it was your own, because you are the easiest one to fool.

My Cars
    535i
    true....

here is a video i made on all this...hopefully someone else wont make the same mistake i did.

How to replace power distribution panel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHh_7FJIV1E&t=6s

How to remove leaves/debri from blower motor BMW F10:

https://youtu.be/J4HcNS2kvuQ

How to fix the Blower motor housing with missing foam:

https://youtu.be/BCVUEqUItok
    Last edited by dewana421; 07-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.