Thread: Brake Problems - Stuck Caliper?

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe

Brake Problems - Stuck Caliper?

I just did a suspension overhaul on my 96 m3 and after getting it aligned and driving it for a few minutes, the steering wheel started to shake a little which got worse as I kept driving. There was also a sort of intermittent grinding noise and vibrations coming from the front right of the car when braking and when I stopped to check it out there was a smell coming from the front right wheel (wasn't anywhere else) kind of like something was burning. I noticed the rotor was stuck in place when I was working on the suspension but I just assumed it was because the car hadn't been driven in months and it was just some surface rust holding the brakes shut. When I first start driving everything is fine, but when everything gets up to temp the problem comes back and the steering wheel goes crazy. Obviously its the front right brake but has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking it could be a stuck caliper but does anyone else have any other ideas of what it could be and how to fix it?
    The car only has 58k on it and the front and rear brake pads and rotors were replaced ~15k mi ago. I'm going to take a look at it either later today or tomorrow so any ideas before I go would be great. Thanks.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Jack the car up and take the caliper off on that corner. Make sure guide pins are clean and move freely, and make sure piston retracts smoothly when you use a c-clamp on it. Check the pads and rotors for damage. Replace anything that needs replacing (do both sides) and then clean and reassemble everything with the proper lubrication.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy