Thread: E39 97 radio wont work

My Cars
    E39 97 528i

E39 97 radio wont work

So i have a e39 97 bmw 528i i just brought it and the radio isnt workign i brought a new one and it wasnt the problem. Not sure what to do now anybody knows what coukd be the problem or any suggestions i really appreciate it

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    What is the problem? No power at all? Or is the radio code missing?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum firstly!

There's not enough information to help you just yet. Plus, it's not possible to give you a definitive answer as no one here can see your car.

When you say you purchased a 'new radio' .. exactly which one did you buy? which 'radio' was in the car when you purchased it? I suspect from what you're saying it's an aftermarket head unit? if, so you'll need to check the wiring of the car to ensure it's functional and correct i.e ensure there's a working +12V, switched +12V, earth, speaker wires are all intact etc etc. If you have an OEM radio, then the same for that as well, also if you purchased a 'used' OEM unit, it might not be working so you'll need to source a known working OEM unit that's the correct one for your early 97 E39 - there are differences.

Do take some clear pictures of what you have as well?

There's also plenty of auto electricians in NY who could look and do the testing of the correct power/ground cables etc and then wire in the replacement radio or aftermarket unit etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

Dwin is offline Go Big or Go Home......
    My Cars
    98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum firstly!

There's not enough information to help you just yet. Plus, it's not possible to give you a definitive answer as no one here can see your car.

When you say you purchased a 'new radio' .. exactly which one did you buy? which 'radio' was in the car when you purchased it? I suspect from what you're saying it's an aftermarket head unit? if, so you'll need to check the wiring of the car to ensure it's functional and correct i.e ensure there's a working +12V, switched +12V, earth, speaker wires are all intact etc etc. If you have an OEM radio, then the same for that as well, also if you purchased a 'used' OEM unit, it might not be working so you'll need to source a known working OEM unit that's the correct one for your early 97 E39 - there are differences.

Do take some clear pictures of what you have as well?

There's also plenty of auto electricians in NY who could look and do the testing of the correct power/ground cables etc and then wire in the replacement radio or aftermarket unit etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
    The one and only audio guru has spoken!!!
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    The only easy way to troubleshoot this is by substitution. But, you need to be sure that you have the correct component.

Dennis, I laud your patience!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.