Thread: Engine revs, but doesn't go faster at shift. Pulled Code P0128

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2014 Charger

Engine revs, but doesn't go faster at shift. Pulled Code P0128

I just got an 01 330Ci for my daughter, and noticed that when shifting gears (manual) sometimes when shifting, and lifting off the clutch, the engine will rev, but the vehicle doesn't speed up like it should, and then after a few seconds the car will accelerate like it should.

Not sure what that is caused by, and i have been unable to find a previous post when searching that seems to speak to this issue. (Unless I am blind, which is possible).

It's an 01 330 Ci, with 232K on the dial. From what I could research on it, it has a clean service history with no major mechanical issues.

I first thought it was the clutch being slow to disengage, but after having someone else drive it so I could just listen, I'm not sure, as the clutch pedal has been lifted off of completely when this occurs. When you take your time to roll on and off it seems to shift,accelerate fine. But if you get into it aggressively is when it hesitates to accelerate.

I pulled a code of P0128: Thermostat,Coolant temp level low, or something like that. What could cause this? I have never hear of coolant temp being too low, but hey anything is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice,directions given.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    P0128 is a bad thermostat. Common problem. Sounds like your clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. Do you know when/if it was previously done?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2014 Charger
    Not sure when or if it was done, but that was my thoughts as well. Considering the mileage, it was one of my planned replacements as part of getting it road worthy for my kid. Just wasn't sure. Thanks

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    What do you mean by the car having a clean service record? Does that mean that all maintenance has been done as it should have been? The coolant temp being low likely means that the thermostat is stuck open so the engine isn't getting up to operating temp. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, since the thermostat has gone, I'd assume that the cooling system needs a refresh. This is something that should be done every 5 years or 50k miles. If not done at that interval, you should at least keep an eye on it. The parts will fail either from use or age. Most of it is plastic and gets brittle over time.

Since cooling system failure on these cars can be catastrophic, I'd do the whole system. Water pump, thermostat, all pulleys, hoses, expansion tank, radiator, all hoses and any related sensors and the belts. If I remember right, I bought everything as a kit for my E46 and it ran me around $600.

If you have the service records, check to see when the starter was last changed. Changing them is a PITA and you might want to consider just doing it while your tearing everything apart, assuming that you're going to do it yourself.

As for the slipping, that sounds like the clutch to me. Get it done or it will leave you or your daughter stranded. Once they start slipping, it usually doesn't take long for it to go altogether.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2014 Charger
    From what I can research, all of the services were performed at a BMW Dealer for the last 10 years. I plan was to change out the different filters, belts, hoses, oil, anti-freeze, and the clutch. I was going to turn the wrenches myself for most of it, but the clutch is beyond my space/capabilities.

Thanks for the info.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to E46Fanatics to read Mango's cooling system sticky. These cars' Achilles heel is the cooling system. It needs to be overhauled at about 100k miles. Why? The cooling system is made of plastic and the plastic ages from repeated heating/cooling cycles. Be sure the cooling system replacement parts are made by the original suppliers to BMW. Cheap aftermarket cooling system parts will result in an expensive and very large paperweight-an overheated engine.

try FCPEuro and ECS Tuning for great prices on parts. Go to www.realoem.com for part numbers. And use only bmw coolant and DISTILLED water in the cooling system. A 50/50 mix is fine.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 06-26-2017 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Issues with the clutch aside, go through the service records and check to see what's been done. I'm just unsure of your use of the term "service records." Do you me that the car was taken in and had scheduled preventive maintenance done or are you saying that you just have records of what's been fixed as it broke. If it is the latter, you might have to preventive catching up to do.

Assuming that you don't have much experience with the E46, I'd say that you'll need to pay particular attention to the (as mentioned) entire cooling system, at least the front control arm bushings and related joints and take a look at the rear sub-frame mounts.

I'm relatively new to BMWs myself and recently bought my son an '01 325i. After doing research and learning what to look for, I was really surprised by the number of people who own(ed) E46s that completely blew off taking care of the cooling system. It got to a point where I'd pop the hood to check things out and have a look for tell tale signs, but was hesitant to go wiggling things around for fear that I would break off a brittle piece and get blamed for it.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2014 Charger
    Thanks for the info, I will work with the info provided. What's a good price for clutch replacement? Got a quote for 1200. Should I replace the flywheel as well?
    Last edited by Jazzman Q; 06-26-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Still typing

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Honestly, I've never done a clutch on a BMW, but I usually go in and replace everything with the hope that it won't have to be done for another 8-10 years. Pulling the tranny is where all of the labor costs are and better to pay once. Is that 1200 quote for labor only or parts included?

My Cars
    2001 330Ci, 2014 Charger
    It includes parts 560 for the clutch, with another 650 labor. The flywheel was another 800., with another hour of labor added.

I just didn't know if it was necessary to replace both the clutch and the flywheel, and i didn't know if the 1200 was within the realm of being realistic. Last clutch I had replaced was on a 1990 Turbo'd RX-7, but i don't think the flywheel was part of that repair.

It just seemed odd, that's all.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I honestly can't say and have learned not to assume anything on a bmw. Maybe you should post something to the general mechanical forum for more exposure.