Thread: What is this?

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed

What is this?

This is where my temp sensor would be. Right near the right front wheel. But it looks nothing like the sensors I see online. Curious if this is part of the reason my temp readings are off

Last edited by DustenA; 06-23-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
    2008 F-250 - Tune/Delete/Studs - Lifted - BroDozer
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194
    1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    2015 Hyundai Sonota Sport
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Looks like a hack job.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Government tracking device that the DEA puts on drug dealers cars.

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    but its plugged into my temp sensor lol.

Im curious if anyone recognizes it as a different sensor on the car, or as stated above, a hack job, which is what 90% of this car is.
    2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    Explains why he has so many cars.

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Explains why he has so many cars.
    Wrong. I have an addiction, and a wife who makes good money and lets me spend it on cars.
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    E39 535i
    It's a good addiction to have to be sure...

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

My Cars
    E39 535i
    And, yeah, that's not what the temperature sensor should look like, or be mounted.
    Its a good chance it is responsible for your erroneous readings

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    With all those cars and all that accumulated car knowledge, you still haven't figured out how to spot a hack job when you see one?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    Maybe a universal air temp sensor?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Whaaat, Dusten's car has some crazy hackjob absolutely random sensor ziptied into place where the factory one is supposed to be!? How absolutely improbable! /snarkasm

You just can't imagine what your'e going to find next with this car! What WILL be next!?!? Will the blower motor turn out to be a part from a 1987 Ford Festiva? Will the window regulators turn out to be JBWelded to the door frames? Will the entire dash wiring harness turn out to be re-done with home speaker wire? Tune in next week on "WTF IS UP w/ DUSTEN'S CAR!!!!"

I love following it, although I would have burned it to the ground probably myself!!

Yeah, the OEM one should be an easy junkyard pickup. But it snap fits into the porkchop, so if you are chopless then you need to either get a chop, or, re-use the ziptie mechanism. Support is pilling up to get porkchop. Car looks like a POS beater ghetto assmobile without a porkchop anyway.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    With all those cars and all that accumulated car knowledge, you still haven't figured out how to spot a hack job when you see one?
    My other cars aren't hack job pieces of shit. So I'm a little inexperienced with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Whaaat, Dusten's car has some crazy hackjob absolutely random sensor ziptied into place where the factory one is supposed to be!? How absolutely improbable! /snarkasm

You just can't imagine what your'e going to find next with this car! What WILL be next!?!? Will the blower motor turn out to be a part from a 1987 Ford Festiva? Will the window regulators turn out to be JBWelded to the door frames? Will the entire dash wiring harness turn out to be re-done with home speaker wire? Tune in next week on "WTF IS UP w/ DUSTEN'S CAR!!!!"

I love following it, although I would have burned it to the ground probably myself!!

Yeah, the OEM one should be an easy junkyard pickup. But it snap fits into the porkchop, so if you are chopless then you need to either get a chop, or, re-use the ziptie mechanism. Support is pilling up to get porkchop. Car looks like a POS beater ghetto assmobile without a porkchop anyway.
    Noted
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Just imagine how many E39's in much better shape make it to the junkyard. Your pos, er.... I mean, pos E39 has just about as many f'ups as that TikTekToe dude that starts a new stupid thread every time his dashboard chimes a new code for craps sakes. Holy crap, I have never seen a car have so many issues. It amazes me that duma$$es that do that to a car like Dusten has, actually breathes the same exact air as our cars, and we do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DustenA View Post
    My other cars aren't hack job pieces of shit. So I'm a little inexperienced with it.

Noted

And that was why I posted that. How the hell did you end up buying that car??? !

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Just imagine how many E39's in much better shape make it to the junkyard. Your pos, er.... I mean, pos E39 has just about as many f'ups as that TikTekToe dude that starts a new stupid thread every time his dashboard chimes a new code for craps sakes. Holy crap, I have never seen a car have so many issues. It amazes me that duma$$es that do that to a car like Dusten has, actually breathes the same exact air as our cars, and we do.

- - - Updated - - -

And that was why I posted that. How the hell did you end up buying that car??? !
    I don't know these cars. So I didn't know what to look for. And a "friend" vouched for the car.

Really, I bought the damn thing on a whim because I needed a new dd after my old one was totalled.

What really pisses me off is every time I think I can sell it, I find another issue. The valley pan is leaking now.
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    are slow
    I don't know these cars. So I didn't know what to look for. And a "friend" vouched for the car.

Really, I bought the damn thing on a whim because I needed a new dd after my old one was totalled.

What really pisses me off is every time I think I can sell it, I find another issue. The valley pan is leaking now.
    Not even joking but just put Bars Leak pellets in there and get it off your hands.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Just imagine how many E39's in much better shape make it to the junkyard.
    Yep. I mentioned in some thread someplace that a really quite nice late blue 530 turned up entirely whole in my local junkyard. Was marked 'bad motor' on the outside. Unfortunately or fortunately it got vultured before I had chance to get any smart ideas, but even if it needed a total motor transplant, it'd have been way nicer than some of the POS's that roll around here. Some nice options too - fold down seats. No clutch but I could use a 530 slushbox beater. Definitely even w/ a bad motor this car had lots less wrong than poor Dusto's rig.

That job really isn't that terrible.

intake off.
    disconnect a bitchload of wire connectors.
    disconnect coils.
    lift e-Boxes and fuel rail.
    remove manifold.
    remove fan & serp.
    remove water pump.
    remove valley pan.
    reverse procedure with new parts

The only issues preventing that from being a no-brainer, as it would be on a 'keeper' car, are:
    - handful of "while you're there" things that should be done (water pump, CCV...) and rack up the parts cost
    - on this car? who knows what other clusterforkz you discover you need to sort out when you start in on it!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    But if you fix everything and then sell to the next guy, and the car is perfect, he'll be like, man, that Dustin guy sold me a great car! What a great dude. In the meantime, you'll be finding more bs on the next car you scooped up. Dude, you've solved quite a bit of mystery surrounding that thing. Keep it.

My Cars
    are slow
    But if you fix everything and then sell to the next guy, and the car is perfect, he'll be like, man, that Dustin guy sold me a great car! What a great dude. In the meantime, you'll be finding more bs on the next car you scooped up. Dude, you've solved quite a bit of mystery surrounding that thing. Keep it.
    What if the next guy comes here and says "man, PO was a bum"?

He'll die a martyr on this forum. I say dump it.
    Last edited by XAlt; 06-24-2017 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yep. I mentioned in some thread someplace that a really quite nice late blue 530 turned up entirely whole in my local junkyard. Was marked 'bad motor' on the outside. Unfortunately or fortunately it got vultured before I had chance to get any smart ideas, but even if it needed a total motor transplant, it'd have been way nicer than some of the POS's that roll around here. Some nice options too - fold down seats. No clutch but I could use a 530 slushbox beater. Definitely even w/ a bad motor this car had lots less wrong .
    Yep, tell me about it. I actually just came from a junk yard that turned out to be about 12 miles or so away from me. I called, and the dude says, "Yeah, we got some of those pos's over here, come on down. I went, they had an "03 530sport, decent shape, but for a headlight, bumper and radiator bits, easy fix, but it was salvaged. Made a deal with him, black sport seats with no wear, hundred bucks for the front seats, fifty bucks for the rear seats with fold down backs, hundred bucks for all the inner door panels, and upper dashboard, rear deck and carpet.
    Then they had a complete Alpine white 740iL runs, no wheels, everything else in excellent shape, too bad it wasn't a sport, but I did get both front 18way seats for a hundred bucks, also the center armrest included. I'm going back for the inner door handles next Saturday, he said come get them, they're yours, I won't let anyone get them. Awesome. Timing chain guides were going on it, still runs, clean title. Colton"s looking for one, but. I'm not sure if he wants to come this far down. Car had 148,000 on it. Engine bay was cleaner than my 540!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    What if the next guy comes here and says "man, PO was a bum"?

He'll die a martyr on this forum. I say dump it.
    Haha! Yeah, didn't think of that.

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Yep. I mentioned in some thread someplace that a really quite nice late blue 530 turned up entirely whole in my local junkyard. Was marked 'bad motor' on the outside. Unfortunately or fortunately it got vultured before I had chance to get any smart ideas, but even if it needed a total motor transplant, it'd have been way nicer than some of the POS's that roll around here. Some nice options too - fold down seats. No clutch but I could use a 530 slushbox beater. Definitely even w/ a bad motor this car had lots less wrong than poor Dusto's rig.

That job really isn't that terrible.

intake off.
    disconnect a bitchload of wire connectors.
    disconnect coils.
    lift e-Boxes and fuel rail.
    remove manifold.
    remove fan & serp.
    remove water pump.
    remove valley pan.
    reverse procedure with new parts

The only issues preventing that from being a no-brainer, as it would be on a 'keeper' car, are:
    - handful of "while you're there" things that should be done (water pump, CCV...) and rack up the parts cost
    - on this car? who knows what other clusterforkz you discover you need to sort out when you start in on it!
    The job doesn't worry me. It's just telling the wife my supposed reliable dd needs another $300 in parts.
    Well, honestly by the time I get it sold I won't need a replacement. I'm done with my 120 mile commute next spring. After that I plan to drive my f250 daily.

Every time I think it's sorted and reliable and maybe I'll keep it, it craps on me again lol
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Every time I think it's sorted and reliable and maybe I'll keep it, it craps on me again lol
    Well damn, all of us kinda swallowed that pill a long time ago. Broke My Wallet is right. Some thought it was Brung Me Women.... lol