Thread: Fuel gauge inop - Solved

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

Fuel gauge inop - Solved

Working on a friend's rather "compromised" M3. Among the laundry list of issues is a completely dead fuel gauge. The needle does not move and the red light is NOT on. Just dead.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    i don't know exactly how the gauge bahaves when one or both of the sensors is broken, but when i disconnected one of them, the needle went towards empty, i don't remember if the light came on. maybe it helps to visually check the connections or maybe do a resistance measurement of the fuel level sensors to see if they're good or not.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    My car would show E, then remain there after the fill up. After some random period, the needle would jump to the then-current level, and then fall as expected until it got to E, and repeat. I always filled the tank, so I was observing E at a time when I should have seen F. The problem that I fixed was dirty sweeps on the fuel level sending units. I pulled the sending units out -- the right side of the car includes the fuel pump and sending unit together -- and cleaned the contact sweeps. I used a course business card for texture and some contact cleaner for the chemical component.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not recall the condition of the Low Fuel Indicator light. The needle stayed on E with a full tank of gas, then it would eventually jump to the current fuel load and fall correctly to E. I set the odometer to zero on the fill up, and the needle got back to E after 300-ish miles at 80-ish MPH.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    apparently it is unfortunately often that the wire(s) of the fuel gauge sender unit inside the fuel tank get's lose. Resolder or replace the old wire and the problem should be solved. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...stays-at-empty
    In post # 13 there is a SI with a data on resistance to measure https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mp-Wacky-Gauge
    Last edited by shogun; 06-23-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Again, the gauge is dead and the RED LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON.

I will rephase this and say that the gas gauge is inactive -- in every aspect.

That said, I have not had the cluster out to see if the low fuel light is burned out.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Here is the E36 cluster plug pinout from a German forum with my translation

weißer Stecker/white plug:

1 - Kontrolleuchte Fernlicht/control light high beam
    2 - Instrumentenbeleuchtung (Klemme 58g) / cluster ilumination, terminal 58g
    3 - Kontrolleuchte Blinker rechts /control light turn signal right
    4 - Kontrolleuchte Blinker links / control signal turn signal left
    5 - Warnleuchte elektr. Getriebesteuerung /warning light electric gear/transmission control
    6 - nicht belegt/ not used
    7 - nicht belegt/ not used
    8 - Warnleuchte DDE / warning light DDE
    9 - Vorglühkontrolle/preglowing control light (diesel)
    10 - Warnlampe Überrollschutz/warning light roll over protection cabrio
    11 - Diagnose RxD
    12 - Diagnose TxD
    13 - Öltemperatur/oil temperature
    14 - Warnleuchte Airbag/warning light airbag
    15 - Klemme R, z.T. nicht belegt/terminal R, partly not used
    16 - Motorkontrolleuchte (Check Engine)/ check engine light
    17 - Warnleuchte Handbremse/warning light parking brake
    18 - Warnleuchte Bremsflüssigkeit/warning light brake fluid
    19 - Warnleuchte Bremsbelagverschleiß/warning light brake pads
    20 - Drehzahlsignal/ROM signal
    21 - Kraftstoffverbrauchssignal/fuel consumption signal
    22 - Klemme 30/terminal 30
    23 - Klemme 15 (Spannung für Kontrolleuchten)/terminal 15, power for control lights
    24 - Klemme 31 (Masse für Kombi-Elektronik)/terminal 31, ground for cluster electronics
    25 - nicht belegt/ not used
    26 - Warnleuchte Katalysator-Übertemperatur/warning light cat overheated

blauer Stecker/blue plug:

1 - Kontrolleuchte Anhängerblinker/control light turn light for trailer
    2 - Tacho A-Signal/speed meter A-signal
    3 - Klemme 31 (Masse für Kontrolleuchten)/terminal 31, ground for control lights
    4 - Klemme 15 (Spannungsversorgung der Kombi-Elektronik)/terminal 15, power supply of cluster electronics
    5 - Klemme 15 (Spannungsversorgung Ladekontrolleuchte)/terminal 15, power supply alternator/battery control light
    6 - Klemme 61 (Masse Ladekontrolleuchte)/terminal 61, ground battery control light
    7 - nicht belegt/ not used
    8 - Kontrolleuchte Nebelscheinwerfer/control light foglights
    9 - Akustikausgang Warnsignal (zum Gong)/accustics out signal to gong
    10 - Ausgang Informationssignal Tankinhalt für Bordcomputer/output signal information tank volume for board computer
    11 - Warnleuchte ABS/warning light ABS
    12 - Warnleuchte ASC/warning light ASC
    13 - nicht belegt/ not used
    14 - Warnleuchte Gurtwarner/warning light seat belt
    15 - Restet für Serviceintervallanzeige/reset for service interval indicator
    16 - Klemme R/terminal R
    17 - Kühlmitteltemperatursensor/coolant temperature sensor
    18 - Kühlmitteltemperatursensor/coolant temperature sensor
    19 - Warnleuchte Öldruck/warning light oil pressure
    20 - Fehlerlampe SMG (M3 SMG)/fault light SMG M3
    21 - bis 9/96 nicht belegt, ab 9/96 Masse/ up to 9/96 not used, from 9/96 ground
    22 - nicht belegt/ not used
    23 - nicht belegt/ not used
    24 - Ausgang Dimmsignal/Helligkeitssignal/output dimmer signal
    25 - nicht belegt/ not used
    26 - Warnleuchte Check-Control/warning light check control

schwarzer Stecker/black plug:

1 - Tankgeber/Kraftstoffniveaugeberfuel /tank level sender
    2 - nicht belegt/ not used
    3 - Tankgeber/Wegsignalgeber (Reedkontakt) Masse Klemme 31b/fuel tank sender/mileage sender reed contact
    4 - Eingang Wegsignal TW (Reedkontakt Wegsignalgeber)/in signal mileage TW (reed contact, mileage sender)
    5 - Kontrolleuchte Nebelschlußlicht/control light rear fog light
    6 - nicht belegt/not used
    7 - nicht belegt/not used
    8 - nicht belegt/not used
    9 - nicht belegt/not used
    10 - nicht belegt/not used
    11 - nicht belegt/not used
    12 - nicht belegt/not used

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    The fuel senders are in series so an open circuit at either one and the gauge will read empty. I think they are about 350 ohms each so around 700 ohms total when full because they are in series (those are not exact numbers). Just pop up the rear seat and take the access covers off. Unplug the electrical connector on each sending unit and check the resistance with a multimeter. They will likely not read the same unless the tank is full FYI, the non pump side will be lower if the overall level is closer to empty because of the siphon transfer system. The right side is a combo of the pump and sending unit but the plug I think is different so you will be able to tell which connecter is the pump and which is the sending unit.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Fuel sender ohms left and right and full and empty accdg to SI 16 04 98 are here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post17792986

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    If you have an OBC check range. If range is --- car thinks it is out of fuel, if range is high it may be just the instrument cluster.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    I appreciate all the input. Assuming the red light is good, the either the meter movement is broken or the gauge is dead. If the sender plugs are unplugged, the gauge will show empty AND the light will be on.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Took the cluster out after tapping on the glass and the needle moved to half, then shivered and headed to the E. Pulled the cluster apart, put it back together, and the gauge works. Wonders never end.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That sometimes helps, so some things happened like you unplugged for example the plugs in the back, that could - just as example - have fixed the contact problem of the pins.
    I had a similar problem 2 years ago on my 1988 E32 750, used contact enhancer spray and the problem was gone.
    I can only recommend to use contact spray and enhancer in all electrical connections on our old cars, work sometimes wonder. BMW has a service info on that:
    BMW recommends to use Stabilant 22A Electrical Contact Enhancer,
    Features
    - Electrical contact enhancer
    - Leaves a thin polymer film that is conductive between mating surfaces, but is non-conductive between adjacent pins

- BMW bulletin # SI 610500 Stabilant 22A Electrical Contact Enhancer Model: All BMW
    Complaint:
    Connectors which carry low current are more likely to form deposits which affect the resistance of the circuit through the plug connector. Depending upon the particular circuit these deposits can cause malfunctions and consequently activate warning lamps and check control indicators.
    Remedy:
    Part replacement can temporarily stop the problem.If the connector is the problem then without disconnecting the connector measure the resistance of the circuit running through the connector to make sure the connector has a high resistance. A good resistor will have close to 0 ohms resistance. Visually examine the male and female terminals in the connector housing by removing them. Look at the integrity of the wire crimps, and in some male terminals the integrity of the weld of the male pin to the terminal. Then reinstall.With a zero residue electrical contact cleaner liberally spray the male and female connectors, and allow the air to dry. Apply Stabilant 22A to both male and female terminals so they are saturated, and reconnect the connectors while they are still wet. When the Stabilant 22A dries it will leave a thin coating of polymer film which is conductive between mating surfaces, and is non-conductive between adjacent pins. It can also prevent the formation of more harmful deposits.

- When applied to contacts, it provides the connection reliability of a soldered joint without bonding the contacting surfaces together

Areas of use: - Electric ignition system,- Instrument clusters
    - Blade fuses, - Bulbs, - Heater and AC controls,- Car stereos and speaker connections,- Sensor connectors,- Electric rear-view mirrors,- Solenoid door and trunk locks and power windows,- Horn circuits,- Tail lights, parking lights and headlights,- Trailer connections,- Door activated switches,- Battery terminals and starter lugs and terminals,- Voltage regulators, alternators and generators,- Diagnostic equipment,

Is available from BMW, Wurth, other makers like De-OxiT, I use a product from Philips, because easiest to get here where I live.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    ALWAYS good input from Shogun.

May need your input on another gas gauge issue on a 95 M3 clone I am building for a friend. The gauge reads empty and the red light is on. I KNOW there is 5 gallons of gas in it. I have installed a dual pump system to avoid fuel starvation in hard/long right turns on track. I will be rechecking my wiring work. I pulled both pumps (new VDOs) and used a multimeter to confirm that both are working properly. Also, (and maybe unrelated) the temp guage reads straight up when the engine is cold. I unplugged the sensor and the gauge reads cold. May be a bad sensor, or the cluster may be screwed up.

More later. The temp sensor will be replaced, and the fuel pump wiring will be checked.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Besides other things, this wire you have to check, that is for fuel pump sender and often breaks http://s71.photobucket.com/user/shog...ml?sort=4&o=13
    There is a DIY on a German forum in case of probs with level sensor, to check this first on the E36
    Last edited by shogun; 06-30-2017 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    I have "swept" the level sensors with an ohm meter. Bothe read correctly. As a matter of fact, I used those same two pieces in M3 for a week with ZERO issues. The problem is apparently NOT the fuel pumps. The installation requires some rewiring, so I will check that. What I would REALLY like to know is the input voltage values at the level sensors should be.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Well, seems the C plug was not in place. Done!!!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    C plug?
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    C plug?

There are three plugs in the back of the instrument cluster. A, B, and C. The C is the small, black plug.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Ah I know them as X16,X17 and whatever

Did the car have an OBC?

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Ah I know them as X16,X17 and whatever

Did the car have an OBC?
    Yup. But currently not functional. Borrowing a known good one to check out the connections.