Thread: 3 series E90xi

My Cars
    2008 Mazda 3i Sedan

3 series E90xi

I have been warned by a number of BMW enthusiasts I know personally that I am to steer clear of the xi, to stay away from the twin turbo at all costs. Can anyone provide me with a detailed answer as to why this is? I know its because the maintenance is more complicated for mechanics but I don't know the specifics. Would anyone like to explain?

Thanks,
    Connect
    Last edited by FrenchConnect; 06-23-2017 at 02:50 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved from General BMW sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    As far as the xi models go, it's a simple matter of there being more parts that could break. The all wheel drive also adds to the drive train power losses and adds weight. The general consensus seems to be not to get all wheel drive unless the conditions in your area require it. If you don't NEED it, don't get it. Rear wheel drive BMWs are generally very well behaved.

As for the turbo models, the same applies. More parts that could break. It's really a matter of how much power you want and what you're willing to pay to have it. Turbos and related parts wear out and will need to be replaced at some point. You will also encounter the increased maintenance required for a direct injection fuel system. From what I've seen personally, buying a used turbo model is a bit dicey because maintenance is rarely kept up with and they are often dogged out.

I live in south Louisiana so I'd never consider an xi model, because I just don't need it. As far as the turbo models go, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they should be avoided at all costs. That's just ridiculous. If the power is what you want, it's what you want. As I said, it's a matter of how much you're willing to pay to have it. The annual cost of ownership of a turbo model just plain costs more. I will say that when buying a used turbo model, you must take all precautionary measures possible. Get the VIN of the car you're looking at and run a carfax on it. Take the car to a BMW shop and have a pre-purchase inspection done. Take the car for a good ride and pay attention to what the car tells you.

If you are considering a turbo model but are trying to rule out getting a twin turbo model, I really can't comment except to say that you should do your research on specific model years. I just recall reading something about the single turbo model having cast internals vs the forged internals of the twin turbo models.

What exactly are you interested in getting.

My Cars
    BMW x models have proven to be very reliable as far as the all wheel drive system goes. I do agree that if you don't need it, don't buy it. But don't be afraid of it. It's not an endless source of problems. A diesel on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician