Thread: Timing Chain - how much slop is too much?

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i

Timing Chain - how much slop is too much?

While setting valve clearance, I was watching the timing chain on the top timing gear. When I turned the crankshaft, the timing gear could move about 1mm back and forth before the chain would move. Also, I could pull a link slightly away from the timing gear.

I haven't found any guidelines for checking the chain other than Haynes saying every 30,000 miles (seems extreme) or various people commenting that a chain will last the life of the engine (which is dependent on how much tolerance you can accept and how long the rest of the engine lasts).

Overall, not noticing any issues that could be chain-slop-induced, but would like to know if I need to think about this as a project for next winter.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E21 323 2-E28, 1-M6, E92
    Turning the engine back and forth will push the tensioner piston back reliving tension on the tensioner guide. When this happens you can hear the oil bleed out of the piston if it is functioning correctly.
    But since this is a result from turning the engine backwards and that is not the condition of when the engine is running I would take that with a grain of salt.
    What you would want to look at is while rotating the engine in the direction of rotation and the tensioner piston bled, is the finger on the tensioner guide touching the front cover in the oil reservoir where the piston sits?
    That would indicate the whole tensioner assembly has run out of room to adjust your timing chain.
    This would be caused from a stretched chain, worn sprockets and were on the tensioner guide.

Long winded I know, hope that helps,
    Jeff