Thread: FYI - SLS shop error / service mistake - sensor arms!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1

FYI - SLS shop error / service mistake - sensor arms!

Well doesn't that serve me right for taking car to a shop.

Had some work done because it was needed for an alignment and it worked best w other priorities to drop it to the alignment guys to do the work then align. Well...

Got it back and was AOK for a few miles... Then got SLS INACTIVE message, and car started riding terrible. Ended up on the bump stops. Very obviously it'd been running down the air during the drive and eventually hit the rock bottom.

Very long painful story short, the shop effed up on reassemble and swung the sensor arms past vertical down so when the control arms went back up the sensors were jammed on the opposite side that they are supposed to swing, and when down on the ground were totally jammed up. Basically made the car think it was still on the lift all the time.

I confirmed this w a visual first while still on the ground, then with an INPA read that showed "lift mode" active. Once I jacked it up it was purely a few mins to flip the sensors over to the proper side.

Immediately on setting the car down, it pumped up as normal and all was great.

Well except for fact the alignment was probably crap because the rear suspensh was borked when they did the job. So its going back tomorrow - thankfully in its own feet not on a flatbed.

But the whole adventure did make me think of some old posts/threads of guys who had had similar "all looks fine but SLS INACTIVE!?!?" Threads and I suspect the same has happened to others either with shops or with home work... Worth adding to the catalog of SLS "watchouts".
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Glad to hear you were able to rectify the problem and lucky they did not break parts.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    I started working on my cars because it was all I could afford. Then I got into it and enjoyed it. Now I don't trust anyone else.

Case in point. I just did the airbag recall on the E39 last week. Aside from taking 1.5 hours for a 5 minute job I ended up with a flat the next AM. Surely just a coincidence. Except they adjusted the tire pressures. Tire shop couldn't find a leak but replaced the valve core and it no longer leaks.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    97 528i
    yeah....I've seen that before....usually we were fixing something some shadetree indy was doing. Same with the headlights...we'd get cars in with the adjusters flipped and owner complaining that the lights were aimed 1 foot in front of the car. I'd relay the issue to the owner after fixing it (n/c of course...) I'd get "I just had it in here with you guys and you were the ones that looked at the suspension..!!!" and I'd say "absolutely sir...we sure did...and whoever just put the new control arms on that we recommended...." Well...you know the rest...
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0