Thread: New here and need some advice. 1995 540i/6

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i

Question New here and need some advice. 1995 540i/6

Hey guys new to the forum but always lurked around. I recently bought a 1995 540i/6 and I'm overhauling the suspension. It currently sits on h&r spring set and some worn dampers. I purchased some of the stuff already. Moosehead upper bearing, 850i lower aluminums (lemforder) revshift 80a engine and trans mounts.
    Here's the deal... Im thinking I want aluminum uppers and I'm pretty sure most of you are going to tell me it's a waste of time. Im pretty sure no one makes uppers in aluminum, but I've been thinking (this can be dangerous) and I realized the the strut tensioners on my e39 seem like they would be a pretty close fit. I can't really get both of them on a lift at the same time I was curious if anyone had measurements on the overall length, the ball joint taper, bushing OD etc ? The service my shop buys through can't get lemforder uppers for the e34 and one of the TRWs is on backorder... My price on the TRWs with a three year warranty is under 60 delivered per arm
    I think the e39 thrust arms in aluminum by lemforder are about the same price

Thanks for your time fellas

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    It is interesting how similar they look, but no, there's a zero percent chance that they just happen to be the same length when the E39 suspension is a new design and not a carry over from the E34. Plus the bend in the E39 arm does not look sufficient to clear the E34 tie rod. This huge bend in the E34 arms is probably why they could not be made from aluminum in the first place.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    I guess I'll have to take some measurements.
    Bmw has less engineers doing more. They very often draw on old designs and slightly modify it. The 335i looks like an e39 swallowed a pair of turbos and lost some weight. Except for those heavy runflats
    Last edited by Billyj; 06-22-2017 at 11:25 PM.

My Cars
    various
    99% sure it won't fit. Someone here would have noticed many years ago.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Welcome. Is your car white, black interior??

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Yes sir on style fives. Quilted black head liner

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    99% sure it won't fit. Someone here would have noticed many years ago.

You're probably right, I've owned the e39 for 4+ years but I've never held the e34 upper control arms. I'm going to order both and compare.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyj View Post
    Yes sir on style fives. Quilted black head liner
    The seller is a friend. You got a nice deal, not many rust free E34s in this neck of the woods, especially 6 spd. 540s.
    The engine is far lower miles than the car and he just did a new clutch and a bunch of other stuff too, he took a bath selling it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    I'm pretty happy with it! seems like there's a valley gasket leak going on, needs a decent amount of suspension, brake, steering and minor(relatively) engine work. It went to a good home, this is my fifth BMW and I've owned six cars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    The seller is a friend. You got a nice deal, not many rust free E34s in this neck of the woods, especially 6 spd. 540s.
    The engine is far lower miles than the car and he just did a new clutch and a bunch of other stuff too, he took a bath selling it.
    So did you help him bypass the clutch safety switch and ews? Lol I know who to blame!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyj View Post
    I'm pretty happy with it! seems like there's a valley gasket leak going on, needs a decent amount of suspension, brake, steering and minor(relatively) engine work. It went to a good home, this is my fifth BMW and I've owned six cars

- - - Updated - - -

So did you help him bypass the clutch safety switch and ews? Lol I know who to blame!
    Yes, I suppose I did. Not sure what all was done in the end as I didn't do the fixing but there was an EWS issue("starter relay") we were confused about, it was discussed here briefly.
    Gimme the dirt so I can bust his balls.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    I haven't had the time to fix it if you have the thread link I'd appreciate any backstory.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    YOUR car in this thread;https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...elay-WTF-is-it
    At the time I was not aware that the relay is integral with the EWS, which is above, to the left of the steering column.
    There was another recent EWS thread with similar theme, WTF is the relay. Not sure what Tom eventually did to bypass it.