Thread: Clutch Slave Cylinder Replace Issues

My Cars
    1994 325i, 2011 328i

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replace Issues

I was driving home from school and I noticed my clutch was getting lighter and the catch point lower every time I changed gear. Then finally it stuck to the floor. I pulled over and let the car rest and then set off again. It seemed fine for a little while but then started fading again. Luckily I got to the freeway and stayed in 5th gear all the way back. When I got off the freeway the clutch was fine again but started fading soon. I just replaced the clutch about 20,000 miles ago so my next guess was the slave cylinder. There was not leaking though and the reservoir was completely full.

I replaced the slave cylinder today following the Haynes manual exactly. The old slave looked and felt terrible so it appeared I found the culprit. I installed the new one and bled the system with the 2 man method described in the manual. After I didn't see any more air, I pulled out the slave again and compressed the rod to get all of the air out as instructed (I attached photos of the manual for reference). Got in the car but the pedal went straight to the floor with little to no resistance. I went online and found backward bleeding. People were saying there was probably still air in the system. Went to the store and bought a oil pump, 3mm flex tube and more brake fluid. I followed the instructions in the youtube video below. It didn't seem to work and I had issues with some of it leaking out the bottom but the reservoir seemed to fill up a little from the process.

I tried 2 forms of bleeding and I changed the slave cylinder. What makes me think its something I did is because it still sort of worked before I started and now the pedal just sinks straight to the floor. Any thoughts?

1994 325i convertible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf-...edded%5B%2Fame

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    Could be the master cylinder as well. When I replaced my master cylinder and slave cylinder on my last project I have to pump the clutch pedal like a 1000 times to build pressure so it would not stay stuck to the floor every time I pushed the pedal down. I've had decent luck so far bleeding the system at the slave with a pressure bleeder system and about 20 psi on the system during bleeding.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoky540i View Post
    ...I have to pump the clutch pedal like a 1000 times to build pressure so it would not stay stuck to the floor every time I pushed the pedal down.
    Exactly what it feels like to me.

But the rule of thumb is if it uses fluid it's the slave, if it doesn't use fluid it's the master. The master has two seals and can bypass internally with out leaking externally, the slave has one seal and a dust boot, so if that one seal leaks, it's using fluid. In other words I'd guess your slave was old and tired but working ok and the problem is the master.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    1994 325i, 2011 328i
    Alright so I just replaced the master as well. Then I went to bleed the system and when I was in the middle of it, my second person who was pumping the pedal said there was a liquid. I went up to check and brake fluid was pouring out of the input somewhere. Has this happened to you or anyone? The last thing I want to do is remove that after the terrible time I had replacing it but I may have to. Any ideas on where it's coming from? Can I just put a hose clamp around the input hose?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Its possible the hose wasnt fully seated on the master. I remember just how cramped it is up there under the dash. Bleeding the slave Is infinitely easier with a pressure bleeder.