Thread: 1982 323i Track Car For Sale, additional information and price reduction

My Cars
    68,74,75,77,80 race cars

1982 323i Track Car For Sale (SOLD)

Hello Gruppe,
    Please forgive this repost, it is the copy from my CL ad, but with additional information and price reduction, I thought I'd post it here first on our forum, before I went back to the abyss and re-posted on CL.

Offered is a rare European classic from the early eighties, a 1982 BMW 323i. This BMW e21 was the top of line model of the five three series models offered by BMW AG at the time. Equipped the the most powerful six cylinder offered, it also included as standard equipment, true dual exhaust, sport suspension and four-wheel disc brakes.

This is the history I obtained from the previous owner and builder. In 2002 he acquired this 1982 BMW 323i, VIN WBAAH3100C7454397. From 2006 to 2008 it was not drive much and sat in his garage most of the time. About this time he decide to make a track car out of it. The floor boards where quite bad so he installed the custom floor pans, framing and roll cage you see in it now and took out as much weight out as he could...and did all the body work himself. Once the body was done and painted he took to rebuilding the engine around 2010. Bought a brand new set of new set of higher compression pistons and rings from a company in England. He took the block, pistons and crank to a local machine shop and had the crank redone and block re-machines for new pistons. Opened the ports up in the cylinder head and re-lapped the valve seats. Reassembled the engine with a new oil pump, timing belt, tensioner cam and crank bearings. 2011 drove it again, was licensed as an antique just to be able to drive it modified as it was. In the Winter of 2012 a slight oil leak was repaired and drained the oil and reinstalled the pan gasket. He was out of town when one of his sons decided to take the car out before he had put oil back in it. He realized his error and shut it off quickly before any real damage was done. However, the owner replaced the bearings and in early spring of 2013 put everything is back together again. Unfortunately the car now blows a little white smoke when warmed up, he believes it could use new valves guides (see below). He took it to a couple auto cross/solo events (no log book) and owned the car until August of 2016.

The body has a fully custom Zender body kit tastefully "fiberglassed" onto this Hennarot e21. The extensive fiberglass fabrication blends the front all the way back to the rear. The bumpers, side markers and body trimmed have been removed and shaved. The deck lid is badge delete and the OEM hood is attached with pins.

Inside, the interior has been removed and finished in flat black. It has a full cage welded to custom framing and lowered floor pan. The front valance and core support has been removed to decrease weight. The dash has been upgraded with a full bank of gauges in a custom race console and a touch button starter. A pair of black Cobra style race seats on custom rails with G-Force racing harness belts, BWA steering wheel and full set of OMP pedals.

This car is equipped with a 165hp (estimated with mild race cam) M20 2.7 liter six cylinder engine fed by a Bosch Jetronic fuel injection. Power is transferred to the wheels by a short-throw ratio 5 speed transmission. Driver assist features include front and rear slotted/cross drilled disc brakes with braided brake lines. Other features include, race header, custom side exit exhaust, JAZ racing fuel cell and new relocated battery to the trunk. The wheels are Riken basketweave 15x7 light weight alloys with 205/50-15 high performance Kumho track tire's on all four corners.

This 323i has a great power to weight ratio this car is an excellent platform for vintage (SVRA Group 8 R/S eligible), Auto-Cross/Solo, High Performance Drivers Education schools, drifting, or ??? Although I would prefer to sell the car, I will consider interesting BMW trades. The car is located in St. Louis, MO, the odometer shows 120,xxx miles (actual mileage unknown) and comes with a clean Illinois title, price is $6850, way below market value for these rare cars!

Thank you for looking, please feel free to contact me by PM, phone or e-mail with any questions and/or requests. If you're reading this ad the car is still for sale...and speaking of reading be sure to read the important information below, thank you.

NOTE: For those wondering how easy would it be to make this purpose built track car street legal...the following information is for you.

This car was built for the track and has all the pro and con characteristics of a track car. If you are determined to make it a street car, you will need to do a few things first. To title it, you can use a year of manufacturers Missouri license plate(s) program, its a little like historic plate requirements minus the logbook. It will need the lights (head, tail, brake) hooked up (wires are present and labeled). The car's wipers are currently inop and there is no heat or air. This car needs a cold start valve for everyday driving, because when it's cold the car can be difficult to start...but remove the air cleaner, spray a little starter fluid and it'll fire right up, once started, no problem restarting the car. The car runs well, the timing and air/fuel mixture has been setup for the track, but you have to keep the rpm's up for it to run properly... at street speeds the car stumbles. So the car could use a change of fluids, timing reset and a tune up.

IMPORTANT NOTE!: I recently had my mechanic look at the engine, and asked what could be the cause of the smoke out of the exhaust. He indicated that it could be one of two things causing it. If it had only been smoke out the the exhaust, it would be that the valve stems seals need replacing ($500). But since there is smoke coming out of both the exhaust and the valve cover breather, the engine will need new rings($1500-$2500). So because of that latest bit of news, I will consider "best offers" along with the sale price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glashaus; 07-11-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Car sold