Thread: Rear rotors stuck, won't spin, parking brake disengaged inside car

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39

Rear rotors stuck, won't spin, parking brake disengaged inside car

Trying to remove the rear brake rotors but they are stuck and won't spin. I released the parking brake inside the car. When I pull up the brake there is some tension just like there was before I stopped driving the car a few years ago.

I sprayed the rotors with liquid wrench earlier today but didn't help. Tapped the rotor hat with a rubber mallet and a hammer + block of wood. I've read that the ebrake could have fused to the inside of the rotor hat.

How can I get this off!?

Here's a video of it

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    if you are replacing the rotors, i would take a hammer and hit it from the backside where you took off the calipers. hit hard, not tapping it like a little girl in your video hahahaah
    Last edited by brokeazz; 06-21-2017 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Good grief man, get a bigger hammer and hit the disc. They are rotors, not the peg and hammer set you used as a toddler. Smack the edge of the disc, hard! Tickling the hub isn't going to do anything. You can do this from the side. You do not have to be under the car hitting inside out.

Use a LARGE soft mallet if you're trying to save the disc.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 06-21-2017 at 11:30 PM.

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Good grief man, get a bigger hammer and hit the disc.
    Hahaha - ok thanks, I'll try it - other posts I read about people saying be careful etc...

:one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Can't you pop the wheel on and pull the car a slight bit to free them up? Better yet, if it runs, just move it forward to free them?! BFH works too..extreme cases, air chisel. Beating on it will prob kill the bearing. A few years is a long time.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Can't you pop the wheel on and pull the car a slight bit to free them up? Better yet, if it runs, just move it forward to free them?! BFH works too..extreme cases, air chisel. Beating on it will prob kill the bearing. A few years is a long time.
    It isn't going to hurt the bearing and leverage is your friend... on both the mallet and using the edge of the rotor as the impact point. Given his location, it should not take much more than a few manly whacks to free it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Up here in Canada I've had to hit rotors so hard they come off in pieces, wheels bearings were fine. Get a much larger hammer and go to town.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yep, similar to when the rotors are stuck to the hubs, a large hammer is your friend.

Are you trying to get the rotors off or get the hub to spin? If I were you I'd first take the rotors off and then open up the parking brake drum thing to see what the problem is. Obviously make sure to remove the set screw.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Like everyone else has said, use a hammer. I like to use a deadblow on mine. Transfers more energy (I think) and the plastic helps to keep from damaging the rotor.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    They are rotors, not the peg and hammer set you used as a toddler.
    you just made me chuckle...a lot...at work...in front of co-workers...
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    I know it's a broken record at this point, but I too like to use a dead blow hammer. You can get them at harbor freight for fairly cheap. Make sure your car is stable with whatever jack/jackstands you are using, and smack the hell out of it from behind.
    1999 M Coupe Evergreen | 2008 E90 M3

Click the here for E36 M3 manual swap project!

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    I probably can but would have to put the calipers back together, which I will do if the hammer doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Are you trying to get the rotors off or get the hub to spin? If I were you I'd first take the rotors off and then open up the parking brake drum thing to see what the problem is. Obviously make sure to remove the set screw.
    Just trying to get the rotors off to put new rotors and pads on + bleed the brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Krohn27 View Post
    I know it's a broken record at this point, but I too like to use a dead blow hammer. You can get them at harbor freight for fairly cheap. Make sure your car is stable with whatever jack/jackstands you are using, and smack the hell out of it from behind.
    I used a dead blow last night but its kinda janky and was starting to deteriorate.

I will use a wood block and a small, 3lb sledge hammer that I have.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I think I tried a dead blow when I had this issue, and quickly switched to a normal steel hammer. Just smack the edge of the rotor, hard, at a bit of an angle and it should eventually break free. You're replacing them so you're not gonna break anything unless you manage to miss the rotor.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    The key is loosening the auto adjuster for the parking brake inside the rotor. The cables inside the car have very little to do with the pads hitting the inevitable groove in the rotor.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    It would be easy to loosen the shoes first, if they are gripping/frozen to the inside of the hat.

I had Z3 coupe rear rotors stuck to the hub with its massive rear rotor hats. Nothing worked except going from under the rear of the car with a 2x6 length of wood and a small sledge, hitting the wood block into the back side of the rotor outwards. Then spin the hub, hit in another spot, etc. It will work with some patience.
    Last edited by adamnur; 06-23-2017 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    It's usually just stuck on a lip in the hub. You have to loosen the auto adjust thing. Yes you can beat the crap out of it, but it's easy to wind the thing in and then take off the rotor. Not to mention you damaging a bearing, or ball joint or bushing.

just saying...

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    I put a long screw driver in the side of the rotor to see how the hub would move, it doesn't move freely, I can hear something while I turn it and it takes some light force to turn. Sounds like rubbing and it's like that on both sides

Tried hitting with a small sledge and nothing. Will try to loosen the brake if I can locate it

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    I have adjusted the parking brake downward, towards the hub, using the adjustment wheel on the driver side

The hub rotates easier now but still is making a rubbing sound. Is this how freely a hub normally spins?
    (I feel like I've beaten the shit out of this rotor with a mini sledge)
    Last edited by persiandude; 06-24-2017 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Try hitting it with your purse...

Kidding! You gotta really hit them HARD sometimes. Plan on not being able to reuse them even though I'm sure they'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Your hitting it at the hub,WRONG!
    Hit it at the outer edge of the rotor FACE!

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Your hitting it at the hub,WRONG!
    Hit it at the outer edge of the rotor FACE!
    Hahaha I was hitting it wrong! I sprayed it with sea foam deep creep then hit the edge ����

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    It's usually just stuck on a lip in the hub. You have to loosen the auto adjust thing. Yes you can beat the crap out of it, but it's easy to wind the thing in and then take off the rotor. Not to mention you damaging a bearing, or ball joint or bushing.

just saying...
    I very highly doubt you can damage a bearing or otherwise from a well-placed jab to the back of a rotor's edge with a mini-sledge impact through a block of wood. It is very commonly done without causing damage to anything. It's not always the hand brake either.

Glad you got it, OP.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adamnur; 06-27-2017 at 03:50 PM.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    If you say so.. I wouldn't do it...

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    I use a plastic dead blow, not such a "harsh" NVH hit and knocks it right off. Also doesn't damage/dent the rotor if you need to re-use it.