Thread: Question about ews

My Cars
    94 e36

Question about ews and dme

I have a 94 e36 with a silver label dme is that right? Also was looking for the ews modul under the glovebox and the module is not there and there is no plug for it. The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a chip from turner for my silver some and don't work I don't understand why this car has a silver label when shouldn't it have a red?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    94 cars have ewsl which is a red label. A silver label was car models 95 yr only and had ewsll. The red labels color can wear off leaving it to look like a silver label. However. You should still Have an ewsl module in the passenger foot well. It should be a yellow plug connector under a blue plug connector.

- - - Updated - - -

However. Putting a silver label chip into a ewsl dme will work. You just need to do the ewsl bypass and the car will start as long as no other problems are present. Literally went through this a few days ago in a short hand fiasco with my own mismatched dme and chips.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    94 e36
    My dme is a bosh 413 which I think is a silver label right? I don't know why it was put in my car. I looked for the ews modul but there is no yellow plug there there's just an empty spot. Makes no sense. Is the ews1 modul in the same location as a ews2. Only reason I was looking this up was to try and figure out if the ews was causing my turner chip to not start my car. I sent back the chip because the first one was for the wrong dme and the sencon one was right and matched but still did not start the car. I sent it back again and waiting for a new chip with ews delete added to it it's the last thing to try.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2598.jpgIMG_2543.jpg

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    There were both red and silver label 413 dmes. Red Label 413 has no ews module, silver label has ews module. Your 94 should have a red label, so you are not missing the module, it just isnt supposed to be there.

Just saw your car has a silver label. Interesting.
    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtekJosh; 06-22-2017 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    94 e36
    YeAh car runs fine just couldn't get the turner chip to work. Is there a way to check by numbers or something on the label the color. Can chips with an ews delete for a silver label work in a red label ?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Let me reiterate more clearly. From 92 to 93 e36 had drive away protection. 93 to 94 e36 had ewsl. 95 to 99 had ewsll which is with a chipped key. Sooooo. A 94 has ewsl. If your 94 doesn't have the module then the car has had a ewsl delete chip already and someone removed the module. It's not uncommon for the red color to wear off the sticker. Now, if you do indeed have a silver label it means nothing as in the dme are identical themselves and the sticker color merely represents what ews is on the chip. This is common knowledge with interchangeable dme. The chip will not work because it requires an ewsll signal which is not only the ewsl module but a chipped key signal.

- - - Updated - - -

So if you do have a silver label dme, which it would be a mislabeled, because of the ewsl delete, it is simply by chance. Send the chip back and get one for ews delete. Not ewsl because you don't have the module to do the bypass at all. Not ews ll because you don't have a chipped key or a module yet again... Total ews delete....
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Let me reiterate more clearly. From 92 to 93 e36 had drive away protection. 93 to 94 e36 had ewsl. 95 to 99 had ewsll which is with a chipped key. Sooooo. A 94 has ewsl. If your 94 doesn't have the module then the car has had a ewsl delete chip already and someone removed the module. It's not uncommon for the red color to wear off the sticker. Now, if you do indeed have a silver label it means nothing as in the dme are identical themselves and the sticker color merely represents what ews is on the chip. This is common knowledge with interchangeable dme. The chip will not work because it requires an ewsll signal which is not only the ewsl module but a chipped key signal.

- - - Updated - - -

So if you do have a silver label dme, which it would be a mislabeled, because of the ewsl delete, it is simply by chance. Send the chip back and get one for ews delete. Not ewsl because you don't have the module to do the bypass at all. Not ews ll because you don't have a chipped key or a module yet again... Total ews delete....
    Kind of true but not quite. The part about 92-94 is correct. Not all 95s ate EWS2. Let's keep this simple.

If your e36 was manufactured before 1\95 the dme is EWS1. Manufactured 1\95 or later it's EWS2. That includes a lot of 95 model year cars. The key is the manufacture date not the model year.

Red label and silver label 413 DME's are identical except for the chip inside. You can take the chip out of a red label and put it into a silver label and it instantly becomes a red label dme without any EWS2. This sounds like what is going on with your car. Sounds like the original dme was bad and needed to be replaced. Look at the DME label. There is a VIN number on it. Run that through a VIN decoder and you'll find out the car it came from was a 95 model year 325 with a manufacture date 1\95 or later. You don't need any ews module to use that dme. Just return your chip and get one for a 93/94 325. You don't need a chip with ews delete. You need a chip for EWS1. As I said if you take the chips out of a silver label and a red label the two DME s are identical.

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Kind of true but not quite. The part about 92-94 is correct. Not all 95s ate EWS2. Let's keep this simple.

If your e36 was manufactured before 1\95 the dme is EWS1. Manufactured 1\95 or later it's EWS2. That includes a lot of 95 model year cars. The key is the manufacture date not the model year.

Red label and silver label 413 DME's are identical except for the chip inside. You can take the chip out of a red label and put it into a silver label and it instantly becomes a red label dme without any EWS2. This sounds like what is going on with your car. Sounds like the original dme was bad and needed to be replaced. Look at the DME label. There is a VIN number on it. Run that through a VIN decoder and you'll find out the car it came from was a 95 model year 325 with a manufacture date 1\95 or later. You don't need any ews module to use that dme. Just return your chip and get one for a 93/94 325. You don't need a chip with ews delete. You need a chip for EWS1. As I said if you take the chips out of a silver label and a red label the two DME s are identical.
    Church.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    , no ews module = ewsl bypass OR no start happens. If there is no wire loom to do the ewsl bypass he must have ewsl delete chip..

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    , no ews module = ewsl bypass OR no start happens. If there is no wire loom to do the ewsl bypass he must have ewsl delete chip..
    Sorry but this is total crap. The only thing that car needs to run is a red label 413 dme. You can use an actual red label or you can use a silver label with a red label chip in it. There is no need for an ews delete chip. Ews delete chips are only used in cars that have EWS2 installed. That's any bmw with a production date of 1/95 or later. There is no such thing as EWS1 bypass.

My Cars
    M3
    Spyder, your thinking about this wrong. The ews module is for the chip in the key. The red label has a module, but not for ews. It's the door locks or whatever that trigger the ewsl no start. Only ewsll cars have ews modules. As long as the ops doors aren't double locked and broken open, the car should start without a bypass. I think you misinterpreted something. He simply got the wrong chip, and he doesn't have the module to bypass the key chip and start the car... However, if he did get an ews wire loom, he should be able to connect whatever wire trace that's in that loom and start his ewsll chipped car..
    Z's are for old men too afraid to drive fast anyway.