Thread: Coil on plug system on M10

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i

Question Coil on plug system on M10

Hey guys,
    I'm doing an E21 project build and had bought coil on plug type ignition coils for it.

Upon thinking a bit deeper, the spark plugs are on the exhaust side of the head.

Will the heat from the exhaust manifold interfere with the coils operation??

Thanks for reading,
    Cheers

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    if you use the heat shield should be fine.
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    Awesome.
    Can't be too sure.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    An EDIS is type box, or LS coil packs would be cheaper and likely more reliable. Not sure what coil on plug packs you purchased, but fitting them may be a bit tricky.

My Cars
    1983 e21, 2018 440i

Coil on plug system on M10

I am thinking roasted coils on plugs.

The other thing is attaching the cop to something. You can't just leave em hanging on the spark plug boot. You will need custom brackets.

On the other hand if you keep the motor NA you can build the bracket with some kind of heat shield under the coils.

COPs are pretty much exclusive to DOHC heads with spark plug in the moddle.

I went with lsx coils and short wires. Wires will be covered with some fiberglass heat resistant tubes.

I am building a turbo motor tho with top mount manifold. Not much space between head and manifold, downpipe and exhaust housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Retoropak; 06-23-2017 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Drool

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Loving that "freight" pair of vice grips.

My Cars
    '77 320i 2.2L M10
    Coming into this thread late. I've been running COP on my M10 for over 7 or 8 years. I used a custom sheet metal bracket to hold the coil packs. Bracket mounts to the 3 valve cover studs closest to the plugs. Based on my experience I would never attempt this on a turbo setup. It can work well on a NA engine.

I used the BMW 12137551260 coil pack. Used on several models and easy to get. It requires an external driver (not digital level trigger). This coil pack drops right onto the plug and is the right length to allow the mounting bracket to be created.

399505_x800.jpg

Heat is an issue. I had some trial and error getting my setup to be reliable. I fried a couple coil packs before I got it all figured out. Once drove home over 60 miles on 3 cylinders. You need to use the heat shield exhaust manifold gasket. Then you still need to fabricate an aluminum sheet heat shield that extends outward to shield the full length of the bottom of the coil pack out to the connector and also wraps around the back of the #4 coil pack. It's the #4 coil pack that I fried due to heat from the header collector/downpipe. A small heat shield extending back and wrapped up the rear of the coil pack to protect its exposed side fixed it.

There is no measurable performance advantage between COP and a good wasted spark setup. If you are considering doing this for performance reasons I would recommend sticking with either a coil near plug setup or wasted spark as they are easier to mount and no heat issues. If you just want to do it for the hell of it then it can be done.

Steve
    Last edited by shauer; 06-27-2017 at 08:06 AM.

My Cars
    1983 e21, 2018 440i
    Quote Originally Posted by shauer View Post
    Coming into this thread late. I've been running COP on my M10 for over 7 or 8 years. I used a custom sheet metal bracket to hold the coil packs. Bracket mounts to the 3 valve cover studs closest to the plugs. Based on my experience I would never attempt this on a turbo setup. It can work well on a NA engine.

I used the BMW 12137551260 coil pack. Used on several models and easy to get. It requires an external driver (not digital level trigger). This coil pack drops right onto the plug and is the right length to allow the mounting bracket to be created.

399505_x800.jpg

Heat is an issue. I had some trial and error getting my setup to be reliable. I fried a couple coil packs before I got it all figured out. Once drove home over 60 miles on 3 cylinders. You need to use the heat shield exhaust manifold gasket. Then you still need to fabricate an aluminum sheet heat shield that extends outward to shield the full length of the bottom of the coil pack out to the connector and also wraps around the back of the #4 coil pack. It's the #4 coil pack that I fried due to heat from the header collector/downpipe. A small heat shield extending back and wrapped up the rear of the coil pack to protect its exposed side fixed it.

There is no measurable performance advantage between COP and a good wasted spark setup. If you are considering doing this for performance reasons I would recommend sticking with either a coil near plug setup or wasted spark as they are easier to mount and no heat issues. If you just want to do it for the hell of it then it can be done.

Steve
    Steve,

Are you running sequential fuel and ignition? Or wasted spark uisng cop?

Where did you get your cam position signal from?

My Cars
    '77 320i 2.2L M10
    Quote Originally Posted by Retoropak View Post
    Steve,

Are you running sequential fuel and ignition? Or wasted spark uisng cop?

Where did you get your cam position signal from?

I'm running sequential fuel and spark. The sequential fuel is a huge improvement if running a high duration cam. Smooths the idle out almost as good as stock. I'm running a 306 cam with an aluminum flywheel and idle nice and smooth at 1000 RPM.

I used an industrial hall effect sensor for the cam signal. the kind that use used to sense gear teeth or ferrous metal without the need of a magnet. I added a metal flag mounted to two of the cam gear bolts and sticks out a little under the upper timing cover. I drilled a hole in the upper timing cover to mount the sensor.

I pulled my site about a year ago. If you would like pictures I can upload a few here or contact me via PM and I can email you some.

Steve

My Cars
    1983 e21, 2018 440i
    Quote Originally Posted by shauer View Post
    I'm running sequential fuel and spark. The sequential fuel is a huge improvement if running a high duration cam. Smooths the idle out almost as good as stock. I'm running a 306 cam with an aluminum flywheel and idle nice and smooth at 1000 RPM.

I used an industrial hall effect sensor for the cam signal. the kind that use used to sense gear teeth or ferrous metal without the need of a magnet. I added a metal flag mounted to two of the cam gear bolts and sticks out a little under the upper timing cover. I drilled a hole in the upper timing cover to mount the sensor.

I pulled my site about a year ago. If you would like pictures I can upload a few here or contact me via PM and I can email you some.

Steve
    Great idea. I was actually thinking about chopping and modifying stock dizzy and welding toothed wheel to the distributors shaft.

The way you did it seems to be easier.

Thanks

My Cars
    '82 320i
    I've been running a coil on plug with LS could mounted on the valve cover for a few years.

(This whole efi set up is currently for sale.)

'82 320i M10 Turbo with VEMS
    '95 525i with VEMS M50 PnP
    '99 528 Wagon