Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best data acquisition apps and setup

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Cheapest: Harry's (Note, you don't have to capture video with Harry's. Just run the lap timer.)
    did not know that, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I run video and can always analyze splits later. What I am missing is the instant feedback of the laptimer

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Haifisch M3 View Post
    I run video and can always analyze splits later. What I am missing is the instant feedback of the laptimer
    Huh? Harry's displays your laptimes on the iPhone screen in real time.

My Cars
    1995 M3

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Huh? Harry's displays your laptimes on the iPhone screen in real time.
    I don't have Harry's laptimer

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Haifisch M3 View Post
    I don't have Harry's laptimer
    Touche.

My Cars
    2004 E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
    the gps decimal degrees is 5, needs to be 6 to use with circuit tools vbo export, you can see the erroneous data here.. GEMS does not have this problem but none of my friends run data that can import into gems so it's not terribly useful to me. I use harry's to log and export the data in vbo format, it's very handy when I have time to get on the pc and really dig into the laps
    http://forum.gps-laptimer.de/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4356

I do not like racerender, I did not think it supported the mk2 so no live anything I do not bring a laptop to the track to overlay between sessions, harry's can do this so I can at least see live and change/improve. half my buddies run racerender because odb2 works for them, and racerender exports to VBO too so I can compare data with them.

the biggest problem with harry's right now is the racecapture devices do not support direction, they even have a compass but they never enabled it or a calculated direction. This causes big problems when you autocross, the start/stops NEVER work for me, you have to run full manual and it's a pain, the laptimes are always wrong because the triggers fail. When I sit in grid you can watch the map spin like a top because the app does not know what direction you are going

harry's should have a fix for this racecapture issue, calculating direction off the gps data. Hopefully it's soon as the autocross season is almost half over, 2 events this weekend and I'm still manually recording and really dont know how fast my runs are due to the trigger issue
    Bringing this back up instead of creating a new thread. I'm looking to run the RaceCapture tools, using Harry's for real-time telemetry, and Circuit Tools for post-analysis.
    Are these two issues with the GPS resolution for Circuit Tools, and the GPS direction for Harry's still existent?

If anyone is running this setup, could you please share your recent experiences.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I'd forget all that mess and just run an Aim Solo. The Aim software and userbase is what you want.

(My RaceCapture setup has been useless for data analysis and driver comparison. I run a Solo 2 in addition for that purpose)

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yep, without others to compare your data to, data analysis gets a bit boring. AiM stuff has 2 big advantages, fantastic support and broad use.I have learned that when a 'pro' looks at your data, they can tell you a lot. But that's usually not convenient.

I do wish AiM would open up their data formats a bit. I would love to sync the AiM data with the time info in my vids (from 3rd party cameras). But then...AiM wouldn't be able to charge tons for their integrated cam.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    I do wish AiM would open up their data formats a bit. I would love to sync the AiM data with the time info in my vids (from 3rd party cameras). But then...AiM wouldn't be able to charge tons for their integrated cam.
    It’s not hard to merge video and AIM Solo data using RaceRender once you learn it, but it’s not something I do trackside. I use an ancient GoPro, and to me the video stlll looks much better than AIM’s SC video.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks, I'll check out RaceRender again, I looked at it a few years ago, but kinda forgot about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12