Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best data acquisition apps and setup

My Cars
    07 STI

Best data acquisition apps and setup

Just wondering what kind of data acquisition apps and peripheral setup people are using for track days and autocrosssing. Not really looking to go full in and buy a race transponder/box yet.
    Some apps I've come across are
    track addict
    racechrono
    solostorm

Thanks

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    I use racecapture pro with harry's laptimer

I probably should have just gone all in, harry's does not play well with the racecapture, and the racecapture resolution is not what it could be for use with serious apps like circuit tools

it does work well for autocross I can quickly review the lap to see if I did something wrong
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

JulianK8Z is offline Custom User Title BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1989 SpecE30
    AiM Solo has a lot of features for the relatively low cost.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I picked up a used traqmate. Does video with sync'd data overlaid
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Dinan S2
    I'm running Racechrono with a bluetooth OBD II scanner, external mic, Garmin GPS unit, and GoPro Hero 3. Works for my very amateur level. Every once in a while, the software gets an update and it causes some sort of issue (like my go pro won't automatically record so it isn't synch'd automatically), but most of the time, it is pretty spot on. I normally have to test it the day before to make sure nothing has changed from the developer.

- 2000 540iT Dinan S2 -2000 Z3 -

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Anybody have experience with Waylens? Seems like a relatively cheap ($500) all-in-one solution.

https://www.waylens.com/

My Cars
    Many
    I use Harry's lap timer with a 10mhz external GPS receiver and a GoPro. I also have AIM Solo.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Anybody have experience with Waylens? Seems like a relatively cheap ($500) all-in-one solution.

https://www.waylens.com/
    That looks pretty interesting. Although, I don't think its features are 'enough better' than my Garmin Virb Ultra to convince me to upgrade. If I didn't have my Virb, I'd have to do some serious research.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woasuby View Post
    Just wondering what kind of data acquisition apps and peripheral setup people are using for track days and autocrosssing. Not really looking to go full in and buy a race transponder/box yet.
    Some apps I've come across are
    track addict
    racechrono
    solostorm

Thanks
    It really depends on what you want the software to do.
    One big benefit of AiM products is that a lot of folks use them, so there's a lot of comparitive data for many track and car combinations out there in the forums. And while AiM documentation is somewhat lacking, support from the community AND from AiM is stellar. And their analysis software can do almost anything (Race Analysis 2).

If you're not looking to acutally analyze and compare your data, any of the smartphone apps will likely do.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 06-21-2017 at 09:43 PM.

I use a Solo and an old GoPro Hero2, but I have to manually do the data overlay via Racerender. That Waylens setup looks like a neat package, though. Camera and data acquisition specs look better than HLT. Doesn't look like there is much capability for data analysis, however. You can go the Smartycam route with the Solo, but more expensive, and I have not been impressed with the video quality on the examples I've seen. Could have been a setup issue.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
    I use racecapture pro with harry's laptimer

I probably should have just gone all in, harry's does not play well with the racecapture, and the racecapture resolution is not what it could be for use with serious apps like circuit tools

it does work well for autocross I can quickly review the lap to see if I did something wrong
    Regarding RaceCapture Pro, what resolution are you referring to? It's very solid hardware. Up to 50Hz GPS with good signal. You can also export (through a few conversion steps, in-app export coming soon) to GEMs which is very powerful. You can also use AEMData which is based on GEMs. What is Harry's doing for you along side the RCP?

RaceRender also supports RCP log files so its easy to do the video overlay.

I have a ShiftX2 on the way and am looking forward to having a hardware shift light and warning lights. It's extremely flexible.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Regarding RaceCapture Pro, what resolution are you referring to? It's very solid hardware. Up to 50Hz GPS with good signal. You can also export (through a few conversion steps, in-app export coming soon) to GEMs which is very powerful. You can also use AEMData which is based on GEMs. What is Harry's doing for you along side the RCP?

RaceRender also supports RCP log files so its easy to do the video overlay.

I have a ShiftX2 on the way and am looking forward to having a hardware shift light and warning lights. It's extremely flexible.
    the gps decimal degrees is 5, needs to be 6 to use with circuit tools vbo export, you can see the erroneous data here.. GEMS does not have this problem but none of my friends run data that can import into gems so it's not terribly useful to me. I use harry's to log and export the data in vbo format, it's very handy when I have time to get on the pc and really dig into the laps
    http://forum.gps-laptimer.de/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4356

I do not like racerender, I did not think it supported the mk2 so no live anything I do not bring a laptop to the track to overlay between sessions, harry's can do this so I can at least see live and change/improve. half my buddies run racerender because odb2 works for them, and racerender exports to VBO too so I can compare data with them.

the biggest problem with harry's right now is the racecapture devices do not support direction, they even have a compass but they never enabled it or a calculated direction. This causes big problems when you autocross, the start/stops NEVER work for me, you have to run full manual and it's a pain, the laptimes are always wrong because the triggers fail. When I sit in grid you can watch the map spin like a top because the app does not know what direction you are going

harry's should have a fix for this racecapture issue, calculating direction off the gps data. Hopefully it's soon as the autocross season is almost half over, 2 events this weekend and I'm still manually recording and really dont know how fast my runs are due to the trigger issue
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I think you might be thinking of something else. Racerender is a PC application for integrating data and video. Here's a guide for use with RCP data:
    https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceC...ceRender_Guide

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    yeah, trackaddict the android app for racerender is what I was thinking about

I only use racerender if harry's totally fails and I have time to mess around syncing up video, I've done this exactly 1 time lol

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Timely: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...ion-cam-guide/

I've been reading some Waylens reviews and virtually zero of them are good. Seems like it has many of the typical start-up teething issues. Lots of complaints about the mount being unstable. The biggest problem with the Waylens is that I can get a Garmin Virb Ultra30 with 10hz GPS for $100 less. And it comes from a solid company that is less likely to go bankrupt. I'm no businessman but I don't see how Waylens could possibly compete with Garmin on this.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Timely: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...ion-cam-guide/

I've been reading some Waylens reviews and virtually zero of them are good. Seems like it has many of the typical start-up teething issues. Lots of complaints about the mount being unstable. The biggest problem with the Waylens is that I can get a Garmin Virb Ultra30 with 10hz GPS for $100 less. And it comes from a solid company that is less likely to go bankrupt. I'm no businessman but I don't see how Waylens could possibly compete with Garmin on this.
    Yep. I'm happy with my Garmin Virb Ultra. And the Garmin Virb editing software has all the basics to overlay track info as collected by the Virb's sensors, although I rarely do that.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Anyone use a Dual GPS ?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...G80/harslap-20

I was thinking I'd get one of these to work w/ my setup. My speeds as noted by Harry's are not accurate at all.

My Cars
    928, 924dp
    New system that sits on your dash for $449. No video capabilities (yet) but it does have a cool App you can download so folks in the paddock can watch your laptimes. The more laps you do in a session, the more accurate Apex Pro becomes as it determines your baseline and the limits of your car.

https://www.apextrackcoach.com/

APEX is an artificial intelligence system used for vehicle performance simulation. APEX learns the performance limits of your vehicle, and gives you real-time feedback on how to optimize your decisions at every point on the track.

Your APEX unit gathers data (at a rate of 12,000 data points each second), utilizing its built-in 9-axis IMU (Inertial Measurement Units), internal GPS, and computer.

APEX uses this massive amount of data to model:

1) Vehicle Capabilities:

Tire grip on current track
    Engine power
    Aerodynamic grip and drag

2) Track Model:

Straights and corners
    Banking and cresting
    Apex grip limit
    Corner entry and exit trajectories

We sold out of them at a DE event in Barber in June but more are now available.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Yep. I'm happy with my Garmin Virb Ultra. And the Garmin Virb editing software has all the basics to overlay track info as collected by the Virb's sensors, although I rarely do that.
    Aero, any thoughts on this random Amazon reviewer's claim that the Virb Ultra claims 10hz GPS but only delivers 1hz? Have you noticed laggy GPS data akin to an iPhone and Harry's laptimer? I made a new thread on that topic, here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ra-30-10hz-GPS

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Interesting. I have an AiM Solo that I use for data analysis, but when I've used the Garmin Virb edit software to overlay track data (speed, direction, G's, etc), I have not noticed any blaring mistakes. I often wonder if ANY sub-$5000 dollar GPS system can provide repeatable results to the level that we sometimes ask in our track analysis. 1' hear, 2' there, and compare 2 laps run hours apart, seems like a lot to ask for for a $500 system, even with "0.1 sec" resolution.

But in short, I don't use the Virb for detailed analysis, but niether have I seen it show a huge error.

I'll take a look at one of the data files. I'm pretty sure it at least reports in 0.1sec increments. That of course doesn't mean the GPS collects data at 0.1sec intervals.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    I've been perfectly happy with Harrys Lap Timer the last few years, for HPDE enlightenment and training. Using a Dual XGPS unit to increase the GPS refresh rate, because the one in the phone is not quite up to it.

BUT as the iPhone generations march on, the cameras have become increasingly lousy at dashcam work. The iPhone 7+ for example takes total crap videos with Harry's.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    Many
    I use Harry's Lap Timer (Grand Prix Edition) with an external GPS receiver and a GoPro 3 for a two-camera view. I also use a Solo Aim for quick looks at current lap as compared to "best" lap. The Harry's info is used for post-event analysis and the Solo is used on track during the session to gauge current lap progress.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    I've been perfectly happy with Harrys Lap Timer the last few years, for HPDE enlightenment and training. Using a Dual XGPS unit to increase the GPS refresh rate, because the one in the phone is not quite up to it.

BUT as the iPhone generations march on, the cameras have become increasingly lousy at dashcam work. The iPhone 7+ for example takes total crap videos with Harry's.
    7 plus is known for having an issue with autofocus. Ironically the front facing camera doesn't have this issue. Here a video with master (GoPro) and PiP (7 plus front). I didn't actually need the PiP but was messing around to see if it works but u can see how the front facing image quality is quite good:

Aero, any thoughts on this random Amazon reviewer's claim that the Virb Ultra claims 10hz GPS but only delivers 1hz? Have you noticed laggy GPS data akin to an iPhone and Harry's laptimer? I made a new thread on that topic, here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ra-30-10hz-GPS
    FWIW, Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone 7 plus the Dual XGPS150 (4-5hz) matched my transponder time to the hundredths.

Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post

I actually raised this to Harry about having the option to set reference Lap as best of current track day or current session vs all time personal best or last lap, and he agreed it makes sense.
    Last edited by Dubbedown; 07-25-2017 at 01:13 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexPerf View Post
    New system that sits on your dash for $449. No video capabilities (yet) but it does have a cool App you can download so folks in the paddock can watch your laptimes. The more laps you do in a session, the more accurate Apex Pro becomes as it determines your baseline and the limits of your car.

https://www.apextrackcoach.com/

APEX is an artificial intelligence system used for vehicle performance simulation. APEX learns the performance limits of your vehicle, and gives you real-time feedback on how to optimize your decisions at every point on the track.

Your APEX unit gathers data (at a rate of 12,000 data points each second), utilizing its built-in 9-axis IMU (Inertial Measurement Units), internal GPS, and computer.

APEX uses this massive amount of data to model:

1) Vehicle Capabilities:

Tire grip on current track
    Engine power
    Aerodynamic grip and drag

2) Track Model:

Straights and corners
    Banking and cresting
    Apex grip limit
    Corner entry and exit trajectories

We sold out of them at a DE event in Barber in June but more are now available.
    Saw this product at PRI back in December. Really innovative approach and certainly worth consideration.

The other option is an AiM Solo. I think the Solo is the best value out there as far as entry level data goes. Easy to use, lots of people using them, and all of that.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Haifisch M3 View Post
    I'd be happy with just a basic lap timer. Any suggestions for a simple, el cheapo model?
    Cheapest: Harry's (Note, you don't have to capture video with Harry's. Just run the lap timer.)
    Next cheapest: Harry's with an external GPS.
    Best bang for the buck if you want to compare and analyze data, and eventually you will.: AiM Solo. (Nearly EVERY track has a bunch of cars that have collected AiM data.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast