Thread: [Video] Verify - Completely Toast Clucth

My Cars
    94 325i

[Video] Verify - Completely Toast Clucth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    94 325i

[Video] Verify - Completely Toast Clucth

Here is what I've set out to purchase, can anybody suggest anything else? My budget is very tight but if it is necessary to ensure reliability I can make exceptions. (I know I should order the brass pin but it's $40 and I plan on going back in 6 months-year and adding a performance clutch)

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    If you are buying the extensions to take out the transmission bolts you'll need at least 3/8" drive, preferably ½" drive. ¼" will probably twist off. You've got the E-torx sockets? Do you have a Harbor Freight near by?
    Last edited by jmo69; 06-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    If you are buying the extensions to take out the transmission bolts you'll need at least 3/8" drive, preferably ½" drive. ¼" will probably twist off. You've got the E-torx sockets?
    Yes I ordered a set haha, I guess I'll let you know if the 1/4 extensions work, if not luckily there's an oreilly next to home.

My Cars
    1998 318is DASC
    You might also want to change the rear main oil seal while you are in there.
    Now: 1998 E36 318is coupe (supercharged) Past: 1997 E36 318is sedan; 1991 E36 325i sedan; 1994 E36 318is; 1990 E30 318is; 1995 E36 M3; 1990 E30 318is
    My BMW 3 Series Blog | DASC Owners Group on Facebook | Car Magazine Collector | Auto Books and Manuals | 1984 Australian Cannonball Cup

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    You'll need about 2½ feet of extensions to get the top bolts out. The E-torx sockets are even more important, if you try hex sockets and strip the bolt heads you're screwed, the engine and trans will have to come out together to remove them.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by ericballard7 View Post
    Yes I ordered a set haha, I guess I'll let you know if the 1/4 extensions work, if not luckily there's an oreilly next to home.

I work at Oreillys and they have a nice set of 3/8 extensions I use all the time. They are not super expensive and you'll likely need them. 1/4 will snap at the socket if you put significant torque on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also those extensions you got dont look long enough. You'll need about 20-30 inches to hit those bolts. Where are you located?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    I work at Oreillys and they have a nice set of 3/8 extensions I use all the time. They are not super expensive and you'll likely need them. 1/4 will snap at the socket if you put significant torque on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also those extensions you got dont look long enough. You'll need about 20-30 inches to hit those bolts. Where are you located?
    Others have suggested rear main seal. I say if its not broke don't break it. Ive seen and heard about more rear main seals leaking from improper install than age. Of course, if yours is already bad thats a different ball game

My Cars
    94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Others have suggested rear main seal. I say if its not broke don't break it. Ive seen and heard about more rear main seals leaking from improper install than age. Of course, if yours is already bad thats a different ball game
    That was my plan for the rear main seal as well, as for location I'm in Indianapolis! I'm slightly nervous as I'll be doing this all myself. The only other big things I've done is replace rear cv joints and a trailing arm. Watch a tutorial online already and I'm decently confident, the dropping part is what I'm nervous about lol.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Good luck doing this yourself, when I changed my trans my son helped with the bull work because we didn't have transmission jack. Mine also has the starter with the threaded ears, the early engines have bolts and nuts. The exhaust will probably give you problems too.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    1/4 inch extenstions is far too small. i used 1/2 inch, these bolts are sometimes very hard to get out.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by samy01 View Post
    1/4 inch extenstions is far too small. i used 1/2 inch, these bolts are sometimes very hard to get out.
    Especially if you need to use a cheater. The sockets he'll need are a minimum 3/8" drive.