Thread: How to Tell If Your BMW Has a Blown Head Gasket

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Lightbulb How to Tell If Your BMW Has a Blown Head Gasket

BMW may have the words “motor works” in their name, but no motor is impervious to damage. Many BMW fans prefer to keep older cars in their garage for the nostalgia and tactile driving experience they deliver. However, as cars age, they become more susceptible to breakdowns. One part that could break on older or … Continue reading How to Tell If Your BMW Has a Blown Head Gasket →
    See more at www.bimmerforums.com - The Ultimate BMW Forum

More...

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Those liquid sealants don't always work too well. My wife bought a Camry where the previous owner apparently used one of those - it popped loose about a month later and the coolant pulled a disappearing act.

Also, it's worth noting that a blown head gasket is most likely to happen if you overheat the car. Keep an eye on that temperature gauge!
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    Those liquid sealants don't always work too well. My wife bought a Camry where the previous owner apparently used one of those - it popped loose about a month later and the coolant pulled a disappearing act.

Also, it's worth noting that a blown head gasket is most likely to happen if you overheat the car. Keep an eye on that temperature gauge!
    This. Use your KTMP if you have a buffered gauge, check temp like you check your gas.

If you are tight on money or the car isn't worth it (the proper use for a liquid sealant, the people who talk it down are usually salty that they spent their hard earned dollars on a proper job while somebody else gets away with a snek oil) and follow the instructions. If it doesn't work use another or give up. Stop leaving this stuff in your system for days and complaining "wow my heater core is clogged and all my passages are blocked".`

HGs in a can\lemonade pitcher\bottle do work in many cases, and thankfully the flamefest on the people who used them has ended.
    Last edited by XAlt; 06-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.