Thread: What to look for on the 320i, 328i w/xDrive

My Cars
    320i, 328i

What to look for on the 320i, 328i w/xDrive

Hello all,
    I'm in the market for a different car. I have never owned any BMW, so I'm looking for information on the 320i, and 328i models with xDrive. I'm considering buying a 2014 or 2015 model in early 2018.

What are common problems with theses models?
    What should I look for when considering each model?
    How many miles do these models typically get?

Thanks for all your help. I'm very excited about the possibility of being a BMW owner.

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    surf this site, use the search function as nessessary and you will learn a ton to help you with a decision

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by hfbroady View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm in the market for a different car. I have never owned any BMW, so I'm looking for information on the 320i, and 328i models with xDrive. I'm considering buying a 2014 or 2015 model in early 2018.

What are common problems with theses models?
    What should I look for when considering each model?
    How many miles do these models typically get?

Thanks for all your help. I'm very excited about the possibility of being a BMW owner.

As other members suggested, there is a lot of info on them in the forum. The absolute most important thing to remember is to get a full, proper PPI (pre-purchase inspection) report done by a knowledgeable BMW mechanic. This will tell you everything you need to know about the car. How many miles are on the cars that you're looking at? Make sure the service history has been documented as well.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    320i, 328i
    Most of the cars have between 20,000 and 25,000 miles on them. Ok thanks for the info I will do my best to get a proper PPI.

My Cars
    20 BMW 230i Coupe
    Watch for a smoking turbo on start up.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 320ix
    I agree a search is best, but for what it's worth I have a 2015 320ix and I got in Dec 2014 and it has 32k. The only problem I had was a front passenger side actuator that was repaired under warranty. That seems to be a common problem and it will be on your dime after warranty expiration. I also get included maintenance about every 7k as I do a lot of local driving and the service light comes on. These models are 4 yr 50k maintenance and if yours gets to 6th service in that timeframe new spark plugs are included. I like the car a lot, it's not nearly as powerful as my Infiniti G35 but I did not want to splurge for the 328i - you should consider some extra cost for the bigger engine.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328xi

missinformation

Quote Originally Posted by Stemmer View Post
    I agree a search is best, but for what it's worth I have a 2015 320ix and I got in Dec 2014 and it has 32k. The only problem I had was a front passenger side actuator that was repaired under warranty. That seems to be a common problem and it will be on your dime after warranty expiration. I also get included maintenance about every 7k as I do a lot of local driving and the service light comes on. These models are 4 yr 50k maintenance and if yours gets to 6th service in that timeframe new spark plugs are included. I like the car a lot, it's not nearly as powerful as my Infiniti G35 but I did not want to splurge for the 328i - you should consider some extra cost for the bigger engine.
    the 320i and the 328i are the exact same n20 power plant. the 328i is just tuned to have a little more power. shake your head and help the guy out don't screw up the facts.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328xi
    here are the real goods man. just get the 328xi you will have to replace the thermostat it is a $110 part get a cpo. The thermostat just goes every 4 years. the car is a joy to drive. very little issues. buy yourself a Carly for bmw and yes you need to pay for the app and the hardware but it is well worth it. my advice is get the Carly before you get the car so you can use it to look deeper into the car. it isn't a dealer level device, but it will tell you everything you need to know about as many cars as you try. mine is a 2013 328xi it has been awesome. after I got mine I got one for my mother. on both the thermostat has failed but it fails open. with a cpo Bothe have been fixed for free. mine has 120,000km on it and still looks and runs like new.Tip. make sure you do all maintenance.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemmer View Post
    missinformation is right. more powerful engine, not bigger.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2014 320i
    Just bought my first BMW yesterday. Was looking at a q50 at first. Got really close to closing on a used q50, but checked out the BMW dealer. I made the right decision on buying a 2014 320i.

Wish I had asked about adding an alarm. Didn't know they didn't come standard. I have a window malfunction where my drivers side window is really wonky. Covered under warranty so taking it in on Monday. I'm extremely happy I got the lighting package, the premium, and sports package. I think I'd be having fomo and am glad I got those. Very happy with my purchase overall.