Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild: Better, Faster, Poorer - Twin Screw Edition

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Motor is done for now. Got cams in and timed everything up. Timing took longer than I though...I was probably overthinking it. Ended up reading the Dr Vanos timing pdf and that made sense for me, using the arrows on the vanos gears to line up with the edge of the head. Once I did that, I got it timed in like 3 mins. Only issue I have to fix is a stripped out valve cover stud. I've got a helicoil on the way. Next up is to get the clutch in, bolt up the trans, and get everything back in.

1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Got a call from my fabricator today. Had him test both my BOV and heat exchanger for leaks. The BOV was unable to hold vacuum at all, turns out the diaphragm is trashed and its leaking from the adjustment screw as well. Also though I had a leak in the heat exhanger and he confirmed that I did. Looks to be in an area that will be hard to fix or even service since its the braised area. Not real sure what im going to do about that.

1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    99 M3
    Walker doing the fab work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    99 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by m3leistung View Post
    Walker doing the fab work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yeap, hasn't been a whole lot of fab for this part, but he did the headers and exhaust for this car. I've been asking him to help with some general mechanical stuff that I didnt have the knowledge or tools for. He's been great as always.
    Last edited by Jab31169; 10-20-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Ok, so its been a while. Life got busy again. Spent a bunch of time trying to get the chumpcar ready and that left me with no free time. So last night at about 10pm I decided to go nuts and try and put the motor back in. I had help getting it out and I thought I would need help putting it back in. Man, it was like 15 times easier going back in. Took like 30 mins to get it in and on the mounts. Was really surprised at how easy it was. Got the steering rack bolted back up, put the shifter in and bolted the driveshaft back up. Got the wiring harness buttoned back up and all the heater core connections buttoned up. Bolted the power steering pump back up and got the alternator back in place for now. Hope to get the rest of the exhaust on tonight and the fuel lines run. I've got to order some AN line and fittings for the oil cooler along with some miscellaneous other hoses and connections. Hope to be attempting to start within the next 2 weeks or so. Got a chumpcar race in two weeks so we shall see. Now that the motor is in I've got some new found motivation for getting her back up and running.

1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    98 m3
    When are we going to retune this guy for e85?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Meh, maybe never...I like where she's at right now power wise.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,
    I know that battle between working on the Chumpcar (Now Champcar, lol) and my M3. I still have a ton of stuff to do to it before our next race at Sebring. We made it 6 hours up at AMP before we broke a ring gear. Being a new team, that of course is a part we don't have.

It sounds like that thing is going to be super capable on track when she's buttoned back up. I might need to pick your brain on my car and what I'm going to do. I am basically going from "Low stance Street and Mexico pulls" setup to "Track/Street" setup. It's awesome that you have so much support over there In Birmingham. I only have a few guys around here that really know what they're doing (and I'm not one of them).
    Ken

95' Dakar M3
    (GT35) 500whp+ and no clue what I'm doing....
    Steedspeed Twin-scroll Manifold, Wiseco 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Supertech Valvetrain, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) Twin-Scroll 1.06 AR, Schrick Cams, TRM Tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix, Coilovers, Chassis Stuffs.

My Cars
    98 m3

Rebuild: Better, Faster, Poorer - Twin Screw Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Meh, maybe never...I like where she's at right now power wise.
    Yeah but itll drop your egt by a couple hundred degrees and therefore your engine temps. Pick up probably 5% whp and give you a nice fat safety margin because the octane .

Anyway were doing a dyno day tuning thing for raj late december, you should come hang either way.

Last edited by vollosso; 11-24-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Yeah but itll drop your egt by a couple hundred degrees and therefore your engine temps. Pick up probably 5% whp and give you a nice fat safety margin because the octane .

Anyway were doing a dyno day tuning thing for raj late december, you should come hang either way.

Sounds nice, maybe one day. Let's just hope she starts first. Yea let me know and I'll try and make it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker10u View Post
    I know that battle between working on the Chumpcar (Now Champcar, lol) and my M3. I still have a ton of stuff to do to it before our next race at Sebring. We made it 6 hours up at AMP before we broke a ring gear. Being a new team, that of course is a part we don't have.

It sounds like that thing is going to be super capable on track when she's buttoned back up. I might need to pick your brain on my car and what I'm going to do. I am basically going from "Low stance Street and Mexico pulls" setup to "Track/Street" setup. It's awesome that you have so much support over there In Birmingham. I only have a few guys around here that really know what they're doing (and I'm not one of them).
    Yea, it's a battle for sure. We didn't do amp because no one on our team really likes amp. Pumped about barbers in two weeks though. Yea got a lot of friends around with a ton of knowledge, nice to be able to use them.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrĐęr§ţđr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Is this car's fuel system already set up for E85
    or would it need new pump, lines, injectors, etc
    to even be prepped for a "Corn Pop"?

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Is this car's fuel system already set up for E85
    or would it need new pump, lines, injectors, etc
    to even be prepped for a "Corn Pop"?
    At most he would need a pump and injectors, but it depends on what he currently has.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Havent done anything to the car in a few weeks. Ordered the parts to make the oil cooler hoses but havent had time to make them yet. Had a Chumpcar/Champcar race last weekend at Barbers. Ended up 6th overall/3rd in class on Saturday and 11th Overall/7th in Class on Sunday.

1995 M3...Screwed

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Havent done anything to the car in a few weeks. Ordered the parts to make the oil cooler hoses but havent had time to make them yet. Had a Chumpcar/Champcar race last weekend at Barbers. Ended up 6th overall/3rd in class on Saturday and 11th Overall/7th in Class on Sunday.

i love barber, never lapped it in a car, but its an awesome track! Its takes a close second to VIR North.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Will have a bmwcca hpde in September, come on down and bring the beast! Barber is a blast

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,
    We should have Skipped Amp and done Barber...For sure...Nicely done!
    Ken

95' Dakar M3
    (GT35) 500whp+ and no clue what I'm doing....
    Steedspeed Twin-scroll Manifold, Wiseco 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Supertech Valvetrain, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) Twin-Scroll 1.06 AR, Schrick Cams, TRM Tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix, Coilovers, Chassis Stuffs.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Last edited by Jab31169; 12-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Hard to say - usually lifters are more consistent..

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    So...got the rest of the intake plumed up. Had to engineer a new path for the ICV since the oil cooler lines are now where the ICV used to be. Wasn't a big deal, got it done with some new 3/4 inch hose and a sharkbite 90 degree fitting. So anyways I pull the car off the jack stands and start it up and take it outside to burp the cooling system. Some of the lifters got quiet, loud tick still present. Takes about 10 mins and car gets up to temp and I get hot air out of the vents. Ticking still present, oil temp not over 100 yet but the pressure is around 40 at idle...normally around 60 until it gets over 120 but nothing too werid yet. Pull it back in the garage and kill it. Get paranoid and pull the plugs and use a scope camera to see if my worst fear is real and one of the rings shifted and is making contact with the pistons. Checked 1 & 6 they looked fine. So i though lets check the oil for shits and giggles....hmmm...like a quart low. So I figured i'd add some. It was right about then I noticed the oil on the garage floor. Now I noticed a few drops the other night after running the car for 30 seconds and didnt think much of it. Walk out to where I burped the car and a nice puddle of oil can be seen. So I started pulling stuff off and could see a pool of oil on the block around the oil filter housing. So I start digging some more and using the scope camera, it looks like the head gasket is leaking oil on the intake side around the #1 cylinder. Why? I have no clue...maybe because its the first heat cycle and the sealant hasn't taken yet...I dunno. Right now I want to push the car outside and set it on fire. I really dont feel like pulling all that shit back off just to find out the gasket is bad or something along those lines. I think I'm done with the car until after the new year. Not real sure what I want to do right now...lots of frustration at this point.
    Last edited by Jab31169; 12-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    BMWs
    Silly question - did you deck the block at all? If so, did you have it decked with the front timing cover attached?

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    No and no, leak does not appear to be from timing cover.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I think the only feasible solution to this problem is a small controlled fire in the driveway

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I think the only feasible solution to this problem is a small controlled fire in the driveway
    Not going to disagree with you
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Silly question - did you deck the block at all? If so, did you have it decked with the front timing cover attached?
    I learned this valuable lesson in a way that I will never forget__the almost hard way...

On an S-52 I built, I think the block was skimmed a couple thousandths is all, so I was able to lap the cover to get it back. Glad I checked that sort of thing beforehand!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I learned this valuable lesson in a way that I will never forget__the almost hard way...

On an S-52 I built, I think the block was skimmed a couple thousandths is all, so I was able to lap the cover to get it back. Glad I checked that sort of thing beforehand!
    I learned it the hard way - still suffering the consequence. I had given the machinist the block, etc. but totally brain farted about the timing cover. It was several thousandths higher than the block. I did some clay impressions and took measurements. Engine was already in the car. Pulled the timing cover and machined it separately. It's better, but it leaks. Someday....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast