My Cars
    2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 335i

Do I need a new rotor?

Hello all,

I have a 2007 BMW X5 4.8i (E70), and I have noticed that it is time to change my brake pads. I can see that the pads are super thin now and the brakes squeak when I stop.

My car is at 98k miles right now. I recently replaced a leaking expansion tank, which got me wondering when I will have to replace the brake rotors. I have used OEM BMW brake pads since I picked the car up new from the dealer.

So do you guys think that I need new rotors? And how do I tell?

Thanks.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If those are the same rotors from when you bought the car, I would look into getting new ones. Are you doing the job yourself or at a shop? If you're doing them yourself, check the rotor's outer edge and see if you feel anything, like a small lip; if so then you at least need to sand them down. If you're taking it to a shop, they'll be able to tell you if you need new rotors (check yourself beforehand though). Other members will likely chime in with some advice as well. Best of luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    You need new rotors. I have yet to find an X5 that's rotors were still in spec after wearing through one set of pads.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    If those are the same rotors from when you bought the car, I would look into getting new ones. Are you doing the job yourself or at a shop? If you're doing them yourself, check the rotor's outer edge and see if you feel anything, like a small lip; if so then you at least need to sand them down. If you're taking it to a shop, they'll be able to tell you if you need new rotors (check yourself beforehand though). Other members will likely chime in with some advice as well. Best of luck!
    Yes I am doing the change myself. What do you mean by a small lip, and how do you know the rotor needs changing (minimum thickness).

Thanks.

My Cars
    Measure the rotor with a brake micrometer. The minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor. And just remember, even if it is above the minimum now, think about how much thinner it will be by the time you wear through another set of brake pads if you don't replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician