Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I brought home another e23... Now there are THREE! But this one I couldn't resist~

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Well that BLOWS. Did someone cut a tree down and not pay attention?!
    Too bad you and LJ weren't in on the new glass from Ivo this year.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay535is View Post
    Well that BLOWS. Did someone cut a tree down and not pay attention?!
    Too bad you and LJ weren't in on the new glass from Ivo this year.
    Nope, branch just let go- it sucks... Don't need Ivo for windshield, ordering direct from Germany, delivered to my door for under $280... Don L is hooking me up on his supplier- and no waiting till next March!

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Well FUCK, that's less than I paid...

My Cars
    85 €735i 08 550i/6
    I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago, although I only had to pay about $200 to fix my hood and fender.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    You gotta be kidding... Good there was no damage- Looks like my car will rub out, have to see what it looks like after, definitely some trim damage and windshield will have to be replaced.

My Cars
    85 €735i 08 550i/6
    Never park under a tree. Even if it's hot outside.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    And that's a young tree, how could a big branch like that split off...

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Dunno, all I know is that tree isn't going to cause any more ssues for me...

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Some progress on the car, I got the idleing at around 800+-, pretty solid idle to considering the M30..., think it's still a tad high but much better that the 1100-1200 prior. I'll get a timing light on it and check timing too, that should tell more.

Did the first MPG test and was amazed, before with the reactors on it gave 14.5+- average- 2 tank fulls as I wanted to see how it did with some of the early tweaks, today it gave 19.8 average on 170 miles of driving, so pretty good, my commute to work is about 36 miles round trip and no freeways, all surface roads and about an 8 mile stretch of canyon roads. The 19.8 was with very little freeway use, and losts of stop and go on surface streets. Sill think it could get a little better.

Can't wait to get the suspension done, not really liking the ride and new tires on order too. Also, new rear subframe bushings and dog bones- on this car the subframe bushings are super easy, bolt on!!!

Enjoying the car, more and more as it starts to come together.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by kojo96 View Post
    new rear subframe bushings and dog bones- on this car the subframe bushings are super easy, bolt on!!!
    The increased cost of the early subframe bushing is more than offset by the significant decrease in labor and special tools needed to change the newer bushings. Should get things in the back rocking and rolling better.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    The increased cost of the early subframe bushing is more than offset by the significant decrease in labor and special tools needed to change the newer bushings. Should get things in the back rocking and rolling better.
    Yeah, and just realized no "dog bones" on this car... Rear trailing arms are so different from later cars also, thinking about adding gussets or maybe boxing them in, don't think I want to replace them with the updated or e32 units but I'll wait til the suspension is done and see how it is.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Front getting suspension today, Bilstein Sport struts and H&R springs, can't wait to drive it- Rear later this weekend along with subframe bushings.

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Man I need a ride!

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    C'mon up LJ, welcome anytime!

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    So today I decided to work on the car today, suspension was in my head for a while and I got tired of waiting on a friend to free up a lift so I got myself motivated and pulled the car into the drive way, started at 10:00AM and wrapped it up at 7:30, now at least the fronts are done, and with only 1 broken part... brake pad sensor... Fix that on next brake pad change.

H&R springs and Bilstein sport struts- Pulled both housings and thought about renting a claw spring compressor but decided not to- Drove to my buddy's shop and pulled his spring compressor off the wall and brought it home, if I wasen't going to use a lift at least a quality spring compressor was in order! He didn't mind and didn't have any spring work planned... Figured I'd take my time but once I got started I wanted to get it done.

Working with a wall mount spring compressor on the ground was both easier and harder if that makes any sense, the hard part was wrestling/handling the housing while trying to insert the strut and set/compress the spring. it made for some fucked up attempts that not only didn't work and really only aggravated me, mid day heat took me inside for some A/C- got back at it around 6PM and wrapped it up at 8:30

Front struts (Orange???) were shot, leaking badly! The front end was really bad, tram-lining, floating all over the place- Fun at times and not so much at others...

When I buttoned it up and took it off the stands it sat low, actually lower that I thought it would but looking at it from different angels it looked good. Had dinner and took it for a drive, MAN, what a difference, solid, firm and not harsh at all! Overall very happy with the set up, can't wait for rear to go in, should balance it out nicely.

On another note, for those who've done this at home without a lift, my hats off to you- It was a BITCH! Hardest part for me was lining up those 3 bottom knuckle bolts, what a PITA!!!!! By then I was tired, sore, somewhat irritated and struggled to "crank down on those bolts", hopefully the next time I do this It'll be on a lift.

Here's images before and after.

733i_1.jpg IMG_20170822_193002.jpgIMG_20170822_193008.jpg

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    It's amazing what a few bushings & new struts will do for the handling, isn't it? I've always been pretty impressed with the early suspensions. They're almost as comfortable and a heck of a lot more durable. I never did a front strut R&R on an E23, but it's a chore to line up assembled strut housings in every big BMW I've rebuilt.

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Looks good Dave, given how low the rear is now, you'll probably want to make sure the rear springs are on an upper perch ring.
    I've done front suspension on E23/24/28/34 in the driveway, and the E23 is the most difficult only because it is the heaviest assembly.
    Doing it alone is no fun, I whole-heartedly agree on that!

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Looks good Dave, given how low the rear is now, you'll probably want to make sure the rear springs are on an upper perch ring.
    I've done front suspension on E23/24/28/34 in the driveway, and the E23 is the most difficult only because it is the heaviest assembly.
    !!! Drove the car to work today, front is really nice but the rear is all over the place, more noticeable now then before- Also more door squeaks and rattles now, have stops and catches on order, see how much that helps. Gotta get on the rear end of the car now, glad it's not going to be as hard as the front...

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Is it possible to retrofit a later subframe and E32 trailing arms into the early car?

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Door squeaks, don't forget to lube that stuff.

Doing an e30 front today already put the steering rack in gonna add a cross member and then see how it drives before doing the shift linkage. all driveway shade tree stuff. When I did my E23, I was a lot younger.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    Door squeaks, don't forget to lube that stuff.

Doing an e30 front today already put the steering rack in gonna add a cross member and then see how it drives before doing the shift linkage. all driveway shade tree stuff. When I did my E23, I was a lot younger.
    Yeah, I know... And commend you for the driveway work- personally it kicked my ass, sore today in many places...

- - - Updated - - -

Jay, I'm going to be using Bilstein sports in the rear- 6 grooves if not mistaken, I want a rake of .75" to 1" max at the bottom body point, which groove to try 1st?

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Ah, this car looks familiar
    It was nice meeting you on Saturday!

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Hey Man,... nice meeting you too, you should put up images of your e23, it'll get lots of love here... And you have to get to SD in March!

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Hmm, shorter pistons AND more grooves to play with...you have have to try more than 1.
    I wish I had pics of what I did with my Bilsteins and Dinans...maybe I can get a pic...shoot me a text and remind me.
    Try whatever has the least preload first.
    At least the rears are simple to take in and out... :-/

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Hmm, shorter pistons AND more grooves to play with...you have have to try more than 1.
    I wish I had pics of what I did with my Bilsteins and Dinans...maybe I can get a pic...shoot me a text and remind me.
    Try whatever has the least preload first.
    At least the rears are simple to take in and out... :-/
    would you mind crawling under the car and seeing how many spaces aren't used? I'll shoot you a text in a cple of days, put off doing it till I hear from you. Thx!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast