My Cars
    E89 135i (N55), X5 4.8is

X5 2005 E53 4.8is - Definitive answer about bluetooth

I can't seem to wrap my head around what is needed to get bluetooth working properly in this car. There are a TON of aftermarket options - including but not limited to:

1. Fitting a new ULF
    2. Replacing with Aftermarket Stereo
    3. Fitting a new TCM
    4. Fitting a GROM Audio

My end goal is to be able to do these 3 things
    1. Retain use of steering wheel controls
    2. Make & answer phone calls
    3. Stream bluetooth music

What I am trying to do right now is add bluetooth to my car for a reasonable price (the ULF upgrade path guaranteed to work via bimmernav is more than I'd like to spend (almost 20% of the value of the vehicle...), and the kit from Grom is in the same sort of price range as well. I can go with the Aftermarket Stereo route which is the most cost effective and it gives you things like reversing camera which will undoubtedly add to the experience of driving the X5.

So from what I can see my car DOES have some sort of bluetooth. It came factory standard with the built-in car phone. It's a cordless one and it looks like it connects back to the vehicle using Bluetooth. So surely I must be able to do something to get bluetooth-capable phones to connect and make calls? I have worked out that my car is indeed "Wired for telephone".

Can someone please shed some light on what is the easiest route to get BT Streaming / Calls working properly? Will a new TCM do the job?

Here are some photos of what is in the car now.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If your 2005 4.8is has a build date of 10/04-up...then you at least have the first two of your "end goal" list...BT telephony came standard with the premium pkg and BMW assist (which the 4.8is came standard with).

To use this built in BT system...only requires following the instructions that should be in the small booklet that came in the owners manual about how BT...and it should contain the PK (pass key) code required to pair your BT device with your X5. If you do NOT have the BT instruction booklet with the PK code...then BT TCU module should have the 4 digit code written on a label...you'll have to pull up the plastic floor piece that's right next to the BT module behind the rear left cargo door. The BT module is mounted at an angle.

Below are the instructions for pairing your BT device to the X5:

TIPS:
    • KL R=ignition position 1
    • KL 15=ignition position 2

CLIFF NOTES:
    1. Turn ignition on (you have up to two minutes to pair)
    2. open your smartphone's BT settings & search pairable devices
    3. you should see your BMW X5 on the list (you should see "BMW_ _ _ _ _" where the blank spaces are the last 5 digits of your VIN)
    4. select your BMW (on your smartphone), then enter the PK code for your BT TCU module (that is in your paperwork or on the module itself)
    5. wait for confirmation that the device (your phone) has paired
    6. shut ignition off & wait 30 seconds....the next time you turn the car on, your smartphone should be paired
    7. (if you have a lot of contacts...it will take a while for all of your contact list to upload...which will occur automatically while your driving around and your phone and X5 are paired)

BT music streaming (A2DP) was not developed until around 2010...which means your e53 X5 was built approx 5 years prior to the development of the technology you seek...which means for music streaming, you'll probably need to go aftermarket because not only did A2DP development come after your vehicle was built...new generation BMWs (approx 2010-up model years) that have A2DP capabilities have a completely different communication bus system...which means the oe BMW components required for oe BT streaming integration will not have "plug-n-play" capabilities with your old school BMW's communication bus. So this means you'll need to turn to aftermarket means for integrated BT music streaming...or serious rewiring/reworking of new gen BMW components.

Here's an ongoing multi-page thread about integrating the new generation NBT/CIC/CCC systems with the old generation BMW models: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...in-E39-E38-E53

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Not sure if you've checked back or not to see the info above...but here's a bit more info that may help you determine what you have.

Your BT/TCU module is located just below your CD changer. It is a rectangular silver module mounted at an angle. If you remove the plastic floor piece that is covering most of the module...you should be able to see the label on it. That label should give you more details. If the production date is after 10/04 and it has the BT icon on it...as well as the PK code...this should help with pairing your smartphone to your X5 to at least get telephone connectivity:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)