Thread: Top problem

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT

Top problem

I'm buying a 04 MT with a top that will not go down. The latch releases but it will go no further. I assume that when you pull the cable in the trunk that should relieve hydraulic pressure and allow the top to collapse, but it doesn't move. The used car dealer still has the car, has 35 years experience and specializes in Z cars, but he appears to be stumped.

Any thoughts from the forum? Don't say pass, the price is right and I expect to have to replace the hydraulic pump (eventually). It's summer here in Georgia and the top is not needed yet.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    My wild guess is there is something wrong with the hydraulic line. So when you pull the level in the trunk you are still fighting against the hydraulic pressure.

That is a completely wild guess.

If the price is right and you have time to trouble shoot the problem, then go for it. It could be a quick fix, or you could need to replace the motor and hydraulic lines. At the end of the day though, it's a Z4, you NEED to be able to drop the top!

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    I expect I am going to be very familiar with the hydraulic system and top operation in the coming months. Does anyone have a link to the electrical diagram of the soft top?

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    The dealer got it working manually, but I'll probably be replacing the pump soon. The drain isn't blocked so it may be just be a fuse or solenoid, but life usually isn't that easy. Once I finish the fluids flush I'll get to it. The brake fluid was dark brown and the coolant almost straight water. Tomorrow the engine oil which also looks pretty disgusting.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Just because the drain isn't blocked now doesn't mean it hasn't been blocked in the past. As an aside, someone once wrote up a plan to relocate the top motor to the trunk. I haven't seen this mentioned lately so I thought I'd bring it up.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    I saw that mentioned on another forum and will do a search there. My driving is purely recreational and I avoid days when rain is in the forecast, so the pump location isn't critical.