Thread: E30 bad ignition?

My Cars
    E30 ranger lesabre

E30 bad ignition?

325e. Turn the key it cranks. And cranks. And cranks. No spark. Used a multimeter on the ignition coil. No volts. Dont think im using it wrong. Where would i go from here?

My Cars
    E30 325i
    crank sensor?

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Pull a plug, if it's soaked with fuel then it's not the crank sensor. But I'm betting it's dry and it's the crank sensor.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    I agree ..
    - it is likely the crankshaft position sensor (located on the bell housing for the 325e engine)
    - or the next thought would be fuel pump (but the fuel pump will not engage if the cps is not working anyway)
    Last edited by my1stE30; 06-19-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    87 Cabrio
    I currently have a no start, no spark that I will continue troubleshooting soon. Regardless less of CPS, there should be voltage t the coil. Thes tests should all be performed with a fully charged battery. Remove battery terminals, remove all wires from coil, ohm test coil using a good voltmeter between +15 and the other smaller terminal and then +15 and center. Bentley explains this quite well. I suspect that you have either a bad coil or ignition wiring if you properly checked coil voltage and didn't have any.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I don't think you'll have voltage at the coil if the CPS is not working properly. Coils are usually the last thing to go bad, I've seen some that were way way way out of spec running just fine.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by my1stE30 View Post
    I agree ..
    - it is likely the crankshaft position sensor (located on the bell housing for the 325e engine)
    - or the next thought would be fuel pump (but the fuel pump will not engage if the cps is not working anyway)
    says who?

you guys all say a lot of different things on here, some of you say you need power to the dme for it to work, some say its the crank position sensor, some say the fuel pump should kick over even if there is no key in the ignition, there is always power running to these things...