Thread: 1990 525i Central locking problems

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i

1990 525i Central locking problems

Hi,

I just bought myself a 1990 bmw 525i and i've been having problems with the central locking. Only the rear doors open with the key, the passanger side front door does sound like its trying to open but just doesnt have the required force to. Drivers side door does lock with the key but doesnt even try to open. I've been trying to find info from these forums and the internet but havent really find anything thats similar to my situation. Does someone have an idea what the problem could be?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

If you goto the passenger side and lock the car, does the driver's door lock? Also you can do the same with the trunk lock if it works.

More than likely the actuator has gone bad, as they are 27 years old, but you can always check the fuses to ensure they are good. Next step would be to pull the door panels off and check for power at each actuator while locking and unlocking the car.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i
    Tanks for the reply!

I dont know whats up with the central locking, because after writing the original message suddenly almost everything started working. The only thing that doesn't work now is that i can't lock the drivers door with the key, but i can unlock it. I am kind of just thinking of leaving it be and seeing if it breaks in the future again.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well these cars can be funky at times, and maybe just want your attention.

So just to clear things up, the drivers door will lock and unlock from the passengers side?

There is a locking switch on both front doors, and I am leaning more to the driver's being bad as it get used all the time.

What I would do is check Fuse #30 as that powers the driver's door switch, and the actuator. If the passenger side is acting up, the do the same with Fuse #31.

Lastly I would suspect the General Module under the back seat pulling it out to look at the connections wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i
    Okay so i went and checked the central locking fuses and they seemed to be okay. I decided to pull them out and put them back in, because you never know with electronics what might fix them. By doing that i just returned to the starting point and also created a new problem. So only the rear doors open with the key, even when using the passenger side lock. I cant lock the the front doors with the key from either side. Now the new issue, this only happens from the driver side door. When i lock the doors with the key, like every second time the rear doors open up again immediately, when i try again they stay locked.
    Last edited by okal34; 06-24-2017 at 07:37 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    When the door opens again after locking, that is a sign of unconform feedback to the ZKE. The ZKE = GM = genral module was later modified to eliminate this. What you first should do is a GM reset
    This Service Information Bulletin supersedes S.I. 61 01 92 (3460) dated January 1992. It incorporates additional information on the new General Module software for E32/E34 vehicles. Please remove and discard S.I. 61 01 92 (3460) dated January 1992 from your S.I. Binder.

SUBJECT: New General Modules (GM)

MODELS: 7 Series (E32), 5 Series (E34)
    - Vehicles produced 9/91 and later
    Situation: New general modules have been used in production since September 1991 in all E32 and E34 models. The software has been completely revised (details of these revisions are found in the attachment to this Service Information Bulletin). Part numbers have been changed to reflect these revisions, as listed below, as of September 1991. Model Part Number
    E32 61 35 8 356 095,
    E34-up to 61 35 8 356 095 9/91 production
    E34-9/91 and later production 61 35 8 355 812
    Note:
    E34 vehicles produced 9/91 and later have different central locking system components from earlier E34 vehicles; therefore, P/N 61 35 8 355 812 is used only in E34 vehicles produced 9/91 and later, P/N 61 35 8 356 095 can be used in E34 vehicles produced prior to 9/91, and in all E32 vehicles. When the general module is connected to the vehicles electrical system, it will recognize (and store in memory) the vehicle configuration, such as:
    - with/without power windows
    - With/without power sunroof
    - with/without wiper contact pressure control
    - with/without headlight washers
    Important Information
    All general modules must be plugged in only after disconnecting the vehicle's battery. If the vehicle's battery is connected when the GM is installed, undefined signal contacts can cause an incorrect vehicle configuration to be stored, resulting in the impairment of one or more of the above-mentioned systems. If one or more of the GM functions are impaired in this matter, the GM can be "cleared" by disconnecting the vehicle's battery for at least ten seconds.

GM Function Changes E32/E34 (Beginning with 9/91 Production)
    - Repeat and Time interlock for headlight washers:
    · Time interlock: 3 minutes
    · Headlight washing at fifth windshield washing after time interlock.
    - Intensive washing pump operating time reduced from 3 to 2 seconds
    - Minimum interval for intermittent wiping is programmable down to 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds)
    - Increased wiper contact pressure during windshield washing cycle is now also provided during dry wiping portion of the cycle (previously only during washer pump operation).
    - Previously, the GM would react to opposing signals (eg., an unlock signal while trying to lock, as with a defective microswitch) by carrying out the first command, then the opposing command (e.g., locking, followed immediately by unlocking).
    Repeating the first command then results in carrying out that command (e.g., try to lock again, and locking is now carried out).
    This function ("Asynchronous Position") is omitted in the new GM for all E32 models and E34 models prior to 9/91 (P/N 61 35 8 356 095), and remains in the new GM for E34 models after 9/91 (P/N 61 35 8 355 812) only for central locking commands "lock" and "double-lock".
    - After unlocking is performed due to crash sensor activation, the locking command is now reactivated by double-locking with the key from either the driver's or passenger's door.
    - The "one-touch" operation of windows has been expanded to include all four windows in the opening direction. The driver's window still has "one-touch" operation in both opening and closing directions. Interruption of the "one-touch" feature of the driver's window in the closing direction is still accomplished by depressing any window switch (in any direction), or by depressing the sunroof switch in the "tilt" direction (provided the sunroof is not already in the "tilt" position). Interruption of the "one-touch" feature of the sunroof in the closing direction is still accomplished by depressing the sunroof switch (in any direction).
    - The switch-off delay of the interior lights which occurs after entering the vehicle and closing the driver's door has been reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.

The try to resync the door locks http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Locked.htm
    If all that does not help. maybe some of the small grommets in the locking system are broken and fell out https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...light=grommets
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i
    I tried to look at the general module, but every one i found online was from 1991 or beyond, so they look nothing like mine. I took some photos of the connections from the general module and the car, and id like to know if there is a problem.
    20170625_105604.jpg
    20170625_105617.jpg

It looks like the connection peace in the car is missing the metal outline on one hole. Is this intentional or is there a problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by okal34; 06-26-2017 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    525i & Corvette

Found my culprit! Left side of the trunk hinge. Don't know who did this previous hack job but I soldered, mended them all back together, and my central locks are back in order.