Thread: Considering a Z4 or Z4M

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe

Considering a Z4 or Z4M

I'm coming from a newer miata and shopping for a car that better fits my stature (i.e. where my head doesn't hit the roof and the seats grab me better - I'm thin with a long torso). How does the Z4 or Z4m work for headspace and ergonomics? Is there any repairs and maintance things that you need to watch out for like the subframe issues in the Z3s? What's the operating costs like?

It will be a daily driver.
    Last edited by ragtophardtop; 06-15-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Other members will likely chime in here, but I know that the Z4 has a slightly longer wheel base than the miata, so that should help quite a bit. Operating costs will be slightly higher than the miata; but definitely not unreasonable. The Z4M will be higher of course. The most important thing would be to get a full, proper PPI report done - this will give you the necessary info needed to decide whether the car is a good fit or not. Take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles on the Z4 platform; this will give you a sense of the workload. Please let us know if you have any questions!

BMW Z4 and Z4M (2003-2008) Technical Articles
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4
    I just bought a Z4 2008 last weekend. I am 6' and I find the car has plenty of headroom and legroom. In fact my girlfriend commented on how much room there is to stretch your legs.

It sound like you are taller so a quick test drive should answer any headroom/legroom questions.

I do love the car though. Very unique design, handling is fun, enough torque to feel sporty, and the cabin is comfortable without being overly techy thereby keeping the feel of a true 2 seat sports car.

My only quibble is the suspension is stiffly sprung. It's a blast on the open road but at lower speeds in the city or generally on rough roads you are going to feel every bit of it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I'm 6'3" tall and 170 lbs. So pretty tall and slender. I have a 34" inseam.

I love the Z4 seats. Love driving the car. I fit great. The seat actually has an up and down adjustment that my old car didn't have. So it slides back and forth, the back tilts, the seat tilts, and it raises and lowers. I keep the seat a little raised and the back isn't even all the way back against the back of the cab. I don't drive slouched, but not straight up either.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Take a test drive.

Even if you're not going to buy that particular car, I'm sure you can find a used z4 at a dealer somewhere and that will give you an idea how well you fit.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Coupe
    Thanks guys! I am going to find a Z4 with sport seats for a test drive. They are not plentiful in my area, but I'll find one sooner or later. I'm not a tall guy (5'10") but I have a very long torso.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Make sure to post some photos of the new ride! Let us know if you have questions on articles or parts.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST