Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vorshlag motor mount stud broken! Which resulted in much $$$$ carnage.

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    While this is a used car, its been in my area for the last 6+ years and I've known all the owners. To my knowledge (meaning, yes, there is a chance here) it hasn't had a clutch done in at least the last 6 years.
    Actually, the car has been in your 'area' for over 11 years Note: there is a VERY strong possibility that those are either a)beta motor mounts or b)original design, first batch. I do believe that someone broke one of the studs a couple of years ago and replaced it (the stud). Can't recall if it came from the vendor or Home Depot.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Revshift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '98 M3
    John, I have a set of the "old" design base plates/studs in my spares box. I'm not sure but I think Dave replaced them with the updated design. I'll dive into this Thursday afternoon/Friday morning and will know for sure then...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Pile of new parts are here. Will hopefully get it all installed this Friday while my son is at school.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    My life as a track rat has been so much more chill since I reconciled myself to the fact that I need a trackable car, and yet another trackable car to run when the other one breaks on Thursday night. But even that path to Nirvana failed me in May, when both of them broke . . . and my 2013 E92 M3, with 30,000 miles on it, came up with both an oil pan gasket leak and a power steering pump leak. So no BMW club HPDE weekend for me, and kiss that $500 registration fee goodbye. All I can say is, Terry's motor mounts sound like they're more reliable than the manufacturer's parts.

I don't use Vorshlag motor mounts, or stock motor mounts, and still I keep a spare pair of my preferred brand on hand just in case, and I don't use engine-driven fans because I've seen other guys tear up their radiators with them on the track once an engine mount lets go. Transmission mounts, guibos, center support bearings, and U-joints are on hand as well. Not to mention half-shafts, CV joints, and differentials. Come to think of it, I need to get some hub bearings. And replace my back-up jack, since my existing back-up jack pooped the bed at the track last week.
    Last edited by JBasham; 06-22-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    My life as a track rat has been so much more chill since I reconciled myself to the fact that I need a trackable car, and yet another trackable car to run when the other one breaks on Thursday night. But even that path to Nirvana failed me in May, when both of them broke . . . and my 2013 E92 M3, with 30,000 miles on it, came up with both an oil pan gasket leak and a power steering pump leak. So no BMW club HPDE weekend for me, and kiss that $500 registration fee goodbye. All I can say is, Terry's motor mounts sound like they're more reliable than the manufacturer's parts.

I don't use Vorshlag motor mounts, or stock motor mounts, and still I keep a spare pair of my preferred brand on hand just in case, and I don't use engine-driven fans because I've seen other guys tear up their radiators with them on the track once an engine mount lets go. Transmission mounts, guibos, center support bearings, and U-joints are on hand as well. Not to mention half-shafts, CV joints, and differentials. Come to think of it, I need to get some hub bearings. And replace my back-up jack, since my existing back-up jack pooped the bed at the track last week.
    Not to mention electrical sensors. ABS sensors, coil packs, etc!

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Clearly the answer is to have at least 3 dedicated, prepped track cars, along with 3 tow vehicles and 3 trailers. That way a track day will never be missed!

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Clearly the answer is to have at least 3 dedicated, prepped track cars, along with 3 tow vehicles and 3 trailers. That way a track day will never be missed!
    And 2 mechanics to tow/repair/etc.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Well, tore into the car today. So far I've removed the Vorshlag mounts (more on them in a minute), installed the new AKG motor mounts, removed the old water pump and installed the new Stewart water pump and installed the CSF radiator, new shroud and Spal fan.

Unfortunately work came to a bit of a halt as my little son came home from school sick, so I'm keeping an eye on him. I still need to wire the Spal fan and fill and burp the coolant system.

So, the Vorshlag mounts. Here's the deal, the entire stud cam up and out of the drivers side mount. So the stud didn't break, but where it threads into the base plate broke. The threads in the base plate are all goobered up and won't take any torque. It does look like these are the old style base plate/mounts, which are prone to failure.

So while Vorshlags offer of a new stud to me was something, it wouldn't have helped me at all. I needed their "updated" base plate/studs, which they were (and still?) out of stock of when I called.

Not sure if this could be characterized as a "better" failure or "worse" failure than having the stud break.

Last edited by DocWyte; 06-23-2017 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Pains me that you missed your event . Feel bad for your loss, but Terry tried to weigh in and it seems Vorshlag atleast attempted to remedy. May be worth letting it go IMO. Always something to worry about on these cars when they go through the abuse we put them through.... Not trying to stir the pot, but you definately made your point!

Good luck and electric fan conversion was a wise choice!

My Cars
    '98 M3
    It was just bad timing, that's all. Was unlucky enough that they didn't have the new design in stock.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    My friend also broke earlier type of those mounts. Stud snapped just above plate, just like it's most likely to do.
    It's no wonder, stud is so long that it will definitely flex.

We changed to Bimmerworld group n replicas, no problems since that.
    Even my "monster" has them, I don't feel need to go for solid ones.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I wanted the Bimmerworld group n mounts but they're out of stock until September.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Have you looked at other brands? I put some Condors in mine, and they are working very well. https://www.condorspeedshop.com/coll...nt=32325768257

I doubt that there would be much increase in noise or vibration, as it looks like the vorshlag mounts are a straight through (not isolated) stud. I don't know that for sure, as I have zero experience with them.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Yes. I bought the AKG Motorsports mounts....

My Cars
    4x4
    Akg ftw

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Broken fan and rad classifies as major carnage now ?!

A bit of an over reaction from where I am sitting.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    Broken fan and rad classifies as major carnage now ?!

A bit of an over reaction from where I am sitting.
    Still a shitty way to blow a 300 dollar radiator, 130 dollar motor mounts, 50 dollar fan, and 450 dollar track weekend.

I would classify a grand as carnage. Whats your threshold?

My Cars
    '98 M3
    $300 radiator, $175 motor mounts, $100 fan, $100 fan shroud and a $200 weekend. For some people that's chump change, for me, given that I'd literally just replaced the fan and radiator, its not.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Still a shitty way to blow a 300 dollar radiator, 130 dollar motor mounts, 50 dollar fan, and 450 dollar track weekend.

I would classify a grand as carnage. Whats your threshold?
    oh I agree, it's shitty regardless and I would consider a grand pretty good damage and not something I would be happy about either, but not sure I would go ahead and start calling out a company over it. Specially when it seems that you didn't buy the parts or install them from the company...

I consider major carnage stuff like this,

I guess it's all relative,

I just never understood ranting on the internet about companies when it's not really their fault.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 07-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    This was a clear product failure. Definite cause and effect

My Cars
    1993 325is
    This was a clear product failure. Definite cause and effect
    Which could have been caused by any number of outside factors as well as a potential issue with the design.

The horse is long dead. Stop beating it!

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Then stop posting nonsense in my thread.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Which could have been caused by any number of outside factors as well as a potential issue with the design.

The horse is long dead. Stop beating it!
    Why do you think Vorshlag changed the design? As I recall it was due to reports of the original design failing.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Looks like John in Houston confirmed that these were VERY old units, possibly prototypes from 2006! And Doc confirmed they were the old design. This wasn't some "new part" that failed, at least 5+ years old.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Why do you think Vorshlag changed the design? As I recall it was due to reports of the original design failing.
    Read this (or below): https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...13-upgrade-kit

As with all racing parts, there are always design parameters that have compromises. We designed the Vorshlag Competition Motor Mounts to fit this chassis, add stiffness to the mounts, and to meet certain BMWCCA and SCCA class rules. The original rules restriction called out a "percentage of metal content" that could not change. This limited how much aluminum we could add to the design.

In 2013 the SCCA changed the wording of the driveline and bushing rules in several classes, completely removing the metal percentage requirement and just giving it a "must weigh as much or more than stock" limit. This allowed us to improve the design and still remain legal for all of these classes that use this new rule wording. In spring 2013 we updated the drawings to add more metal to the base assembly, which shortened the length of the stud and lengthened the center post. It also supports the bushing insert along more of its length, which is helpful as the motor mounts are canted at an angle in the engine bay and see some side loading.

The updated Vorshlag motor mount's aluminum center section is now 1.2" longer, which makes the entire assembly stronger. The new main stud is also shorter and should see less bending stress if the mount is loose, or when the motor is tilted on the axis of this stud, etc. All Vorshlag E36/46 Competition Motor Mounts sold since May 2013 have this new base design. But what about those of you who have mounts from 2006-2012, that want to upgrade?

If you already own a complete set of Vorshlag E36/46 Competition motor mounts we offer this shopping cart entry that has the 2013 version of the aluminum base, with all associated studs pre-installed, as well as all new Nylock nut and washer hardware for the top and bottom. Just add the existing Nylon or polyurethane bushing and upper aluminum cap from your old set and you are Upgraded.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by Fair; 07-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast