Thread: Seen any good retro paint schemes?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Seen any good retro paint schemes?

I'm a fan of Austin Healeys and early Corvettes (and even Wiesmann roadsters) and I realize I really dig authentic-looking vintage 2-tone paint schemes.
    I've seen loads of photos on-line of Z cars with paint schemes which attempt to capture the sort of vibe I like but many fall flat (see below).

I'd be grateful if folks here would share images of custom paint jobs that actually improve the retro look of the Z3 (or at least get the job done well).
    Cheers,
    Brad

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/4371675036_374ce9b627_o.jpg

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I have also seen many people try for the retro look, but I have never seen any that come close to working.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Different people will have different opinions about what works, but here's one. My personal take is that a Z3 is not a Corvette or a Healey, so don't try to make it look like one.

I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Different people will have different opinions about what works, but here's one. My personal take is that a Z3 is not a Corvette or a Healey, so don't try to make it look like one.

Without chrome bumpers, mirrors, and wire knock-off's it really doesn't work. Could use a luggage rack too.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Short answer is 'no'. Seen attempts, none good.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    This gent Peter has a retro-ish car in HK but his mods don't extent to paint. It's real nice, FWIW...

Tapatalk w/ S7 Edge. As such, as much as I would like to, I can't vote in your poll.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Thanks Terry, et al.
    I've been giving thought to how some of the retro-themed paint jobs I've seen could be modified to actually enhance the look of my Z3.
    I've seen the scalloped sides, the Cobra-like twin stripe jobs, some hood-and-trunk attempts, but nothing inspires me.
    My car has very tired paint, many chips in the nose, and various scuffs--it was apparently a 15-year FL car and I know the second owner, here in PA, stored it outdoors for 5 years.
    So I'm just considering options for now--other things need attention--and I don't intend a 'restoration'. I'll probably go for general tidying-up while I make some subtle modifications.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 06-16-2017 at 10:02 AM.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    A good detail shop can do wonders with chips and old paint. It may be worth your time to get estimates from some of the "good" shops in your area.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    I'm a new Z3 owner too and my car also has tired paint. Not terrible, but I would love for it to be better. I will probably just go the detail route and call it a day, but a wrap could be interesting. I day dream of turning my black roadster Laguna Seca blue or possibly Grigio Telesto.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    A good detail shop can do wonders with chips and old paint. It may be worth your time to get estimates from some of the "good" shops in your area.
    Thanks! I was wondering whether some professional attention could restore the finish without breaking the bank.
    I'll check with a couple places.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Saw this on FB today...

Tapatalk w/ S7 Edge. As such, as much as I would like to, I can't vote in your poll.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    z3
    I could see running around like that for a bit if it was vinyl... might be a fun look for awhile

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2008 Ford Fiesta
    I love most stock Z3 colors. But when I saw this custom it blew my mind:
    gulfz3.jpg
    (source: facebook group)

And on that inspiration, one could try a Martini racing paintjob (wrap) as well.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I wondered what a Z would look like with the two-tone blue/silver paint scheme my old Datsun 280ZX had. I never wondered enough to paint anything, but I liked that look.

(not mine, just found on Google)
    001.jpg

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by m18 View Post
    I love most stock Z3 colors. But when I saw this custom it blew my mind:
    gulfz3.jpg
    (source: facebook group)

And on that inspiration, one could try a Martini racing paintjob (wrap) as well.
    The problem with that one is that I associate that colour scheme with Porsche.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    The problem with that one is that I associate that colour scheme with Porsche.
    I agree--the Gulf livery looks great and is even inspiring on the right cars, but I don't think the Z3 is among them.

I've admired many options from Wiesmann, but some are over-the-top (i.e., the side scoop and color carry-over on the steering wheel and upholstery) and I'm unsure whether they could be tastefully adapted to the Z3 nose and lines.

This version really needs to be toned down, IMO:

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 06-24-2017 at 09:33 AM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Using the Wiesmann as inspiration, I tried a rough sketch using my car (silver hardtop over schwartz body) and German flag colors...deliberately attempting to make it less flamboyant than the cars above.
    Body would remain black, but what is shows as light grey here would be the same silver as the top:

The color change would not be obvious from this view, I imagine.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Looks like racing stripes (had seen a lot of them on z3), which is more for american cars, on german cars it looks silly. Imho you should stick to one time period, don't try to mix them. Remeber that Z3 is already a homage to 328, please, don't ruin it to mimic other models.
    Last edited by deni2s; 06-24-2017 at 02:53 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Looks like racing stripes (had seen a lot of them on z3), which is more for american cars, on german cars it looks silly. Imho you should stick to one time period, don't try to mix them. Remeber that Z3 is already a homage to 328, please, don't ruin it to mimic other models.
    Oh, I probably won't get around to doing it anyway...maybe I'll just put in Corvette-style taillights.

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by watch carefully View Post
    oh, i probably won't get around to doing it anyway...maybe i'll just put in corvette-style taillights.
    :d
    lol

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Oh, I probably won't get around to doing it anyway...maybe I'll just put in Corvette-style taillights.
    Probably you had seen ferrari and german porsche with quad round taillights produced before chevy started to use them... From modern cars more well known in Europe are nissan g-tr and lotuses. I am not sure where hamann got the idea to use round taillights in body kit for z3, but probably from bmw 2002 or ferrari (as they did bodykits for ferrari's with some very design similar details as on z3 at the same time period). I did my homework before applying mods on my car. Did you?

Last edited by deni2s; 06-26-2017 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    I think the nicest retro mod you can do is get M mirrors for your z3, its not paint, but it completes the car imho.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Our cars are old enough now to look retro without doing anything to them but driving them around. None of the two-tone paint schemes seem to work--there just aren't natural character lines to define the breaks, and so they look wrong. I have the factory luggage rack, and I think that gives it a bit of a classic tilt.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Not really all that relevant but it shows another variation of what multiple colors look like on a Z3.

Last edited by CMM3; 06-29-2017 at 03:17 PM.