Thread: Inherited cabrio E30; questions about restoration maintenance

My Cars
    89 325ic

Inherited cabrio E30; questions about restoration maintenance

So I recently inherited an 1988/89 325i that my dad had in his garage for the past 15 years. He originally bought both a 1988 and a 1989, put the best of each together, and built what I now have. With that said, I didn't know much about cars (let alone BMWs) until I decided to replace the dash a few months ago. It's been a steep learning curve since, but I'm gaining speed

So the engine runs great (now that I've had the heater core replaced). And I cleaned up most of the electrical system while I was replacing the dash. I had the convertible top replaced, completely stripped the body/interior and had it re-painted, and now I have it mostly reassembled.

This brings me to my questions (I know, finally). Put it on the lift last week and realized it needs a new muffler, and new lower control arms. Rebuilding the body/interior was easy because, for the most part, I could see what needed to be replaced. But looking at the underside, it's not quiet as obvious. I want to go through the rest of the car's systems and replace/repair what needs attention, but I don't have any idea where to start. I've tried looking up maintenance logs but I just get info about oil changes, etc. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    The first maintenance item will be to replace the timing belt .... maximum timing belt life on an M20 (325i) engine is about 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Failed/snapped timing belts cause head and valve damage to the engine.

Coolant flush is important ... might as well change out the coolant pump and coolant when you do the overdue timing belt. Some people advocate a complete changeout of coolant system after 10 years ...

Fresh oil and filter will be good. and if it has been sitting that long maybe an injector service would be good.

All these comments assume that it has been sitting for a while. After these maintenance items then drive the car and look after things as they present themselves for attention.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    You'll probably want to as least inspect and likely replace subframe, trailing arm, control arm, sway bar, and sway bar end link bushings. Also a brake/clutch fluid flush would be a good idea as it's absorbed moisture. The car runs so it looks like you got lucky with the gas, though you'd be better off replacing the fuel filter. You should also replace all the rubber fuel hose in the engine bay as it gets dry and cracked, and it can cause an engine fire.

Just a couple things
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    After the timing belt, verifiably the most important maintenance on an e30, just start at the front and work your way back. After 15 years of sitting, you can't go wrong with just replacing everything. The front suspension is easier to work on, so I would start there, and then just continue down the underbody. Replace the shocks and all rubber or moving bits. Springs will be ok to stay. Brakes, tie rods, end links, control arms, engine mounts, etc.. the more you replace the less you have to keep a constant eye on.

The big things (if you don't have unlimited money, in order) would be:
    1. timing belt
    2. brake pads and rotors
    3. verifying the integrity of all brake lines, especially the T junction at the back brakes near the rear subframe
    4. shocks + shock mounts
    5. engine mounts
    6. any and all other assorted rubber bushings
    7. rear subframe bushings
    8. diff bushing
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    Sounds like you're already making great progress. Pics would be great - would love to see how it's coming along.

I took my '89 vert to a BMW shop for a buyer inspection, and then to do all the things on their list: timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, a couple leaky seals, and suspension rebuild.

Replacement stock springs from BMW in Germany were the single most expensive item - seems like everybody wants to lower and stiffen their cars so there's tons of aftermarket for that, but precious little available if you just want the stock-original ride. In most cases, springs "just don't go bad", but PO's last replacement shocks only lasted 2K miles before the bottoming out on everything, and the car sat low on level ground. The rebuilt suspension with new stock springs makes it feel like I'm driving a nearly-new car, where before it felt like each of the 4 wheels wanted to go a different direction.

My Cars
    89 325ic
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have the timing belt and water pump ordered. Hoping to take care of those this coming weekend. Changed the oil a couple weeks ago. Have front control arms and bushings on order. Replaced the exhaust system today. I power washed the underside this weekend and it looks like a I have a pretty good leak in the rear differential (main gasket I'm thinking). Once that is fixed, I will go through the fuel and brake systems, before working my way front to back as Kershaw suggested. Appreciate everyone's feedback! Here's a picture from the muffler shop yesterday. I'll post a better one soon. BMW.jpg
    Last edited by bemmergirl; 06-19-2017 at 09:01 PM.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Car looks great. I'd replace those headlights though. They are the original Depo headlights and compared to the later Depos (the ones they sell now) they look awful. Later depos are euro smiley knock offs so they look great. Best headlights are american ellipsoids, they have a great cut off and pair really well with HIDs. HIDs you can get really cheaply from ddm tuning or wherever.

Rear diffs usually leak from the shaft seals.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    89 325ic
    Thanks Kershaw. Those are actually brand new Depos with HIDs. I don't really like the Ellipsoid look, although I kept the originals in case I change my mind (I am a woman).

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Don't they have angel eyes? Or is that just the refraction in the edge of the glass? Angel eye Depos look awful imo. If they're the later style Depos I guess it's just the picture.

E-code headlights are stock, non ellipsoid, and provide very decent light output. Might want to look into them.

edit: and don't take it personally, but nobody cares about gender.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    That was a "women change their minds" joke, breh.

I'm a big supporter of Bosch euro smiley lights. The metal reflectors hold up much better than the plastic hella ones, the cutoff is good, and output is great. I use high-output 55W H1 bulbs and I can see over a quarter mile.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    I know. I was choosing to ignore it. Who doesn't change their mind when it comes to modifying cars or keeping way too many spare parts? I definitely do and according to my most recent trip to the bathroom, I am still a man. If no one changed their mind about their car we'd all be driving stock cars and this site wouldn't exist.

That trope is old. /gettingofmysoapbox

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    I know. I was choosing to ignore it. Who doesn't change their mind when it comes to modifying cars or keeping way too many spare parts? I definitely do and according to my most recent trip to the bathroom, I am still a man. If no one changed their mind about their car we'd all be driving stock cars and this site wouldn't exist.

That trope is old. /gettingofmysoapbox
    I never change my mind. I make the right decision, first time every time.

My Cars
    89 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post

I'm a big supporter of Bosch euro smiley lights. The metal reflectors hold up much better than the plastic hella ones, the cutoff is good, and output is great. I use high-output 55W H1 bulbs and I can see over a quarter mile.

Thanks for getting my sense of humor. And thanks for the feedback about the head lights, I'll look into them.