Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Augmenting the dual fuel-pump setup

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    I like ATL products, hadn't seen that. Its hard to tell but is that plastic? It looks cast or molded with a parting line. If plastic I can see why they'd want to FIA rate it.
    Its molded in a very stiff, rubber like compound. Not plastic as far as I can tell. It would definitely "yield" before breaking if anything impacted it.
    John
    E36 LS3

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynor View Post
    Attachment 602758

http://www.atlltd.com/atl-new-produc...s-manager.html

ATL FIA rated crash resistant swirl pot was my solution. Like everyone else running various forms of the swirl pot, problem solved.
    This just made it move
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post

This just made it move

No idea what that means

I'm going to finally start on this project today. I'm having starving issues at 20lbs over weight and I'd like to get it down to 10lbs over with no starving issues

If this doesn't work I'm going to put in the 034 motorsport deal but... at some point I would rather just buy a cell with the trap box built in
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post
    No idea what that means
    Guessing his peepee is happy, lol
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Though I have not tracked my '93 325is, I do run it down WELL below the empty at autocross without starvation. I'm convinced that the early E36 OEM tank setup is the cure!

My Cars
    "Hybrid" E36 M3
    Sometimes you just get lucky. Mine is a 93 E36 that had fuel starvation issues so no sure the "early" OEM setup is it either.

Autocross versus road course long sweepers are also different applications so that could be a factor in starve versus no starve.
    John
    E36 LS3

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Guessing his peepee is happy, lol
    Lol. Correct
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    That is badass, four lift pumps, one in each corner of the tank, all feeding the swirl pot. Real race cars are so much cooler than dumb street cars.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynor View Post
    Sometimes you just get lucky. Mine is a 93 E36 that had fuel starvation issues so no sure the "early" OEM setup is it either.

Autocross versus road course long sweepers are also different applications so that could be a factor in starve versus no starve.
    I did end up with starvation after changing the pump at one point. Same issues you guys are describing here. After farting around for a couple months trying the dual pumps, etc... I took out the replacement pump and compared it to the old dead pump. The pickup depth on the dead pump was lower than the replacement. A little cutting here and there on the new pump and a worm gear hose clamp later and the new pump depth was the same as the dead one - starvation GONE! What I'm suggesting Maynor is that maybe your pump was replaced at some point with one of these less pickup depth pumps.

I will admit that track is on a different level from autocross, but I do have data of 5-6 second corners at 1.3+G at seriously low fuel levels without a hint of starvation.
    Last edited by jakermac; 06-26-2017 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    Finally got started on this thing and... I have less confidence about it. By the time I get the box small enough to fit, there's going to be very little room for the doors to swing open. I could remove the pump filter maybe.

Probably the right thing is to make an aluminum cylinder ther correct shape and size and add the doors to that.

Maybe the 034 Motorsport way is best... haven't given up yet just a pause in thought.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I will admit that track is on a different level from autocross, but I do have data of 5-6 second corners at 1.3+G at seriously low fuel levels without a hint of starvation.
    Made me look. 11 seconds between getting off the gas and getting back to full throttle. Long braking followed by long right turn. Only about 7 seconds cornering but if the fuel is already up on the front of the tank and just rotates over to the sides...
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Any updates on what folks have done?
    The BW kit is $380. I'm ok with that if I have to, but it seems there are better solutions for same or less price.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Any updates on what folks have done?
    The BW kit is $380. I'm ok with that if I have to, but it seems there are better solutions for same or less price.
    At least for that you're getting new, zero hours main and transfer pumps as well as the other necessary plumbing odds and ends. Now if you've already replaced your stock fuel pump that may not count for much, but otherwise a 95 M3's original pump is fast closing in on being a quarter-century old.

I installed the BW kit in 2003 and haven't had to give fuel starvation another thought since.

Neil

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I'm about to pull the trigger on that kit myself.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I tried the dual pump set up and didn’t have luck. Hanging a second pump in the center of the tank, with no partitions around it, really doesn’t make any sense if you are trying to use the last bit of fuel in the tank. When I moved the second pump to the back corner of the tank I was able to go into the reserve light in long RH sweepers and hard acceleration.

I mounted the pump to a simple aluminum bracket held by a hose clamp and the bracket is bonded to the bottom of the tank with fuel safe sealant. Both pumps are plumbed in parallel and wired to separate relays and fuses triggered by the stock fuel pump wire. I did not buy a dual fuel pump kit, it was all DIY. So cheap, so easy.

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    I was having trouble at Summit Main with bad stumbling from turn 1 through not turn 2. Diagnosed it as a fuel starvation problem. Installed the BimmerWorld dual-pump setup at the beginning of last season and the problem was gone.

Sounds like there might be different solutions that work equally well depending on the particular situation - auto-x, DE, TT, racing...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    BW kit ordered. I'll report back. I'm still seeing that this seems to not work for some.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    A few comments about the install:
    - Instructions are decent, but not perfect. Some vague statements like "rotate the driver side pump". Relative to what? How much? There are (confusing) pictures, and you have to double check a handful of things to insure all is right.
    - BW really should provide splice connectors for the wiring. I mean, quality splices are what, 5c ea in volume? So the kit is not a complete kit.
    - The 2 access holes in the body (E36) have sharp edges. Watch the routing of the rubber hoses to insure those sharp edges and hoses don't meet. I actually needed to bend the edges in one spot.
    - I'm not keen on running a rubber hose between body parts, blindly. Long term wear and leaking gas is what comes to mind. But....I think it's ok.

It runs. We'll see next weekend if I can get below 1/2 tank before sputter sputter.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 03-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    A few comments about the install:
    - Instructions are decent, but not perfect. Some vague statements like "rotate the driver side pump". Relative to what? How much? There are (confusing) pictures, and you have to double check a handful of things to insure all is right.
    - BW really should provide splice connectors for the wiring. I mean, quality splices are what, 5c ea in volume? So the kit is not a complete kit.
    - The 2 access holes in the body (E36) have sharp edges. Watch the routing of the rubber hoses to insure those sharp edges and hoses don't meet. I actually needed to bend the edges in one spot.
    - I'm not keen on running a rubber hose between body parts, blindly. Long term wear and leaking gas is what comes to mind. But....I think it's ok.

It runs. We'll see next weekend if I can get below 1/2 tank before sputter sputter.
    Interested to see your results. I thought my pump had too much clearance to the bottom, but the sock is touching the bottom. Have to do something, tired of running 3/4 fuel load.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Has anyone tried running a small molded tank like this? Plum it so the fuel return runs straight into the tank?
    https://pitstopusa.com/i-7864914-atl...6-gallons.html

Alternatively, ignoring the kit itself and just focusing on the foam, anyone make and/or try something similar?
    https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/produc...m-in-tank-kit/

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Honestly wish someone would develop a fuel hanger surge tank for the E36 platform.
    http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Hange...BMW-P1542.aspx (Here's one for E90)

I would rather have something like this in the passenger side hanger than do the BW dual pump setup.

Since nothing like this exists I'll likely add an external surge tank.
    instagram @andyitslit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12