Thread: URO parts

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

URO parts

Well, happened again. I thought I would try again. Dual fuel pump rig in my 97 M3. FAIL. Pulled the VDOs out of me 328 and fuel starvation issues resolved. URO = DON'T.

And to the rep who likes to troll me via PM ---- DON'T.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Over the years I've found URO to be decent depending on what you're getting. Pulleys and T-stat housings, no problem. Electronics and bushings, temporary band-aids.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I vowed never again with URO when I compared the inside workings of their tie rod ball joint to ones like Meyle.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I vowed never again with URO when I compared the inside workings of their tie rod ball joint to ones like Meyle.
    Meyle has proven to be really good. Because Lemforder is so commonly available and who I can source it from (shop owners with access to WorldPac, RM European, etc.) I generally use that for front end parts. WIX filters (ALWAYS), and Behr radiators (ONLY) only after having a couple Nissens fail), and after getting my hands on a Genuine BMW (E36) reservoir I will never use anything else (especially now that the dollar is stronger against the Euro much cheaper than used to be). Oddly, air intake boots and a few coolant hoses can get ridiculously pricey, so since choices can be limited URO becomes almost the only alternative.

One area of parts needs that really is sort of a mystery is who actually produces the best gaskets. While it is fairly well know what parts are OEM and available in their manufacturer's lines (Lemforder, Bosch, Behr, Mahle, etc.) I have yet to learn who produces what for BMW in this area. Imagine URO gaskets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Over the years I've found URO to be decent depending on what you're getting. Pulleys and T-stat housings, no problem. Electronics and bushings, temporary band-aids.
    Maybe so for E36s. I would NEVER use a low end brand T-stat assembly on an M54 series engine. Speaking of M54s, German Auto Solutions make an all metal repair kits for DISA valve that is just killer. ALL metal and about $85. That outfit has some neat stuff.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post

Maybe so for E36s. I would NEVER use a low end brand T-stat assembly on an M54 series engine. Speaking of M54s, German Auto Solutions make an all metal repair kits for DISA valve that is just killer. ALL metal and about $85. That outfit has some neat stuff.
    I just bought an 04 330. I'm doing some basic maintenance on it like cooling system refresh and CCV system. I see those metal DISA kits on eBay. I'm intrigued with them but always a bit sceptical. Do you have any more info on them?

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I just bought an 04 330. I'm doing some basic maintenance on it like cooling system refresh and CCV system. I see those metal DISA kits on eBay. I'm intrigued with them but always a bit sceptical. Do you have any more info on them?

Unless German Auto Solutions is selling them on e-bay, buy direct from them. They also sell the o-rings that so many people say do not exist !!! There are two kits -- one for 2.5, and the other for the 3.0. The valve is CNC machined aluminum, and the plastic junk that fails is replaced by METAL !! The pivot pin (that CAN be ingested by the engine and kill it !!) is replaced by the design. The units on ebay are knock offs. G.A.S. has the originals for $75. I have installed 6-7 of these with zero issues. I would not consider anyone else's because G.A.S. has been very helpful when I had questions.

BTW, in their instructions they specify a quick test to insure that the vacuum pull off valve has not failed. If it has, the DISA is a paper weight, and they sell complete units for no more than a new one from BMW.

First rate vendor.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Just went to their web site. They have been developing an all metal CCV system. At $378 it seems pricey, but when one looks at the write ups and pictures of the product, it looks fantastic. Having trailered a couple of sub 100K mile E46s with hydrolocked engines from CCV failures, I will be getting one for my E39 if they are available for shipping.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yup URO is junk. Had front strut mount studs fail, heard POP, POP and the studs broke off. JUNK JUNK JUNK

My Cars
    -02 530i
    The only URO parts I would put on any BMW are the serpentine belt pulleys, which oddly are much better in quality than OEM since they are made of aluminum instead of plastic.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by granlund View Post
    The only URO parts I would put on any BMW are the serpentine belt pulleys, which oddly are much better in quality than OEM since they are made of aluminum instead of plastic.
    BUT, bearings can be and ARE an issue. Been there, seen that.

My Cars
    -02 530i
    Sorry, I was referring to the larger pulleys, not the idler one with a bearing.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Uro parts never refunded my $90 for a driveshaft guibo they messed up on. I got a funky sized one. Sent it back. Fed ex said they received it at the address to be delivered. They said they sent me my refund. Here I am 2 years later and not 1 instance of any money ever being sent to my account. Not only did they rob me of my money. They got out the money to ship them back the guibo they probably sold again.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    So, my update.

1) I bought the URO fuel pumps from CarID. They were utterly ignorant in their demands to "prove" the inadequacy of the product. Basically, it would have cost me more than the cost of the product to "prove" the failures, and then there was no guarantee that they would do anything. Fortunately, I bought the stuff via PayPal. I had no idea they had so much clout. PayPal stepped in, and CarID buckled.
    2) I bought VDO's (should have in the first place) and they solved the issues.

So, what was ammiss? I installed them to prevent fuel starvation that is so common in racing E36s. Clearly, the pump in the right side was the problem child as it was staving badding even at 1/3 full, and still would not handle the demands of a stock S52 M3 with a race exhaust and an Active Autowerkes tune. Today I autocrossed the car on a course with long, high load, off camber right turns with the red light and no issues.

Thank you VDO, and PayPal. Bye bye CarID and URO.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Update to the update. Bought VDOs from RM European. Jumped in the 328 and NO start. Left side pump was "growling" because it was empty. Right side pump was silent/inop. Installed the VDOs and all is good again. So, I was lucky it ran until it arrived to my garage !!!

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Uro parts never refunded my $90 for a driveshaft guibo they messed up on. I got a funky sized one. Sent it back. Fed ex said they received it at the address to be delivered. They said they sent me my refund. Here I am 2 years later and not 1 instance of any money ever being sent to my account. Not only did they rob me of my money. They got out the money to ship them back the guibo they probably sold again.
    Were you buying from URO direct or a 3rd party? I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to sell directly to the public.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    4x4
    URO sucks

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by NC540 View Post
    URO sucks
    Pretty much.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Uro Premium makes a good window regulator for the e46. I can only speak for the drivers window on my sedan. It's lasted longer than the E-bay and Dormans I tried first. ECS is where I got mine and it comes with a lifetime factory warranty. I buy the rest of my parts from FCP Euro, that way I always have a warranty, and the best customer service. I also bought the G.A.S.0 disa kit for my 2.5L m54, a quality piece of equipment. I've been following the CCV development and this is the first place I've seen a price, I was on their website yesterday and only saw that the first 10 trial units had gone out and nothing about price. The $350 is steep compared to the cost of stock parts but the install is a real PITA from what I've read unless you pull the intake manifold. I've done the starter on my xi without pulling it so maybe I can do the CCV too.
    Last edited by jmo69; 06-29-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.