Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Where can I get another key for my BMW?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    6
    My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

    Where can I get another key for my BMW?

    Ok, this is what happened. ...my BMW was in impound for 60 days. When it was released I noticed my fob key did not lick or unlock the doors. Then after driving to my destination, the key would not come out of the ignition. I jiggled it and moved the steering wheel and shifter around. No luck. So I waited about 10-15 minutes and the key came out no problem. This key being stuck in the ignition thing now happens everytime I turn off ignition. Very annoying. I realize that the battery in the key charges itself while in the ignition. After not being driven for 60 days I'm sure my problem was a dead battery. So, I bought a new battery and the housing etc for it and have had no luck. I don't want to buy a new key from BMW. Is there anywhere I can get a key besides BMW?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Posts
    277
    My Cars
    2xe9xM3,00540,00323
    Just bought a non FOB for my e39 from thebmwminipartstore $57 shipped. They have FOBs too, but they are expensive. You will need a copy of registration and drivers license to send to them. I got mine in 4 days.

    Chris

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    203
    My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcbean55 View Post
    Is there anywhere I can get a key besides BMW?
    Over the years, I have seen it posted before that all keys, regardless of where you buy them, come from BMW NA in some form or another. Only BMW knows the key cut pattern. You can order one from a variety of sources but they are just being a middleman taking a cut.

    Your best bet is to go to the dealer, provide proof of ownership and pay the price for a new key. It's generally about $185.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    6
    My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    I did buy one online and it didn't work. And it has an uncut key attached to it and it can't be removed to put my cut key in it . Regardless, it didn't work on locks anyways. It's not as easy as it looks on Google. I guess I will just go to BMW. Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    621
    My Cars
    2003 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcbean55 View Post
    I did buy one online and it didn't work. And it has an uncut key attached to it and it can't be removed to put my cut key in it . Regardless, it didn't work on locks anyways. It's not as easy as it looks on Google. I guess I will just go to BMW. Thanks
    Why didn't it work? It shouldn't be necessary to remove the key blade, why can't you just get the blank one cut?

    I bought a cheap €7 key that you can find on ebay, got it cut for the car by copying the original, programmed the ews chip and it works fine including remote locking and starting the engine. Granted, there are some subtle differences between the original keys and the cheaper copies but for the price they are well worth it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dirty MFin Jersey
    Posts
    1,167
    My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    I can make you any car key you need. PM me if you are interested. I do it for members here for a very reasonable price.
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Norwich, Connecticut.
    Posts
    155
    My Cars
    MB, Volvo, Audi.

    Pay your car tax bills first!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcbean55 View Post
    Ok, this is what happened. ...my BMW was in impound for 60 days. When it was released I noticed my fob key did not lick or unlock the doors. Then after driving to my destination, the key would not come out of the ignition. I jiggled it and moved the steering wheel and shifter around. No luck. So I waited about 10-15 minutes and the key came out no problem. This key being stuck in the ignition thing now happens everytime I turn off ignition. Very annoying. I realize that the battery in the key charges itself while in the ignition. After not being driven for 60 days I'm sure my problem was a dead battery. So, I bought a new battery and the housing etc for it and have had no luck. I don't want to buy a new key from BMW. Is there anywhere I can get a key besides BMW?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    SKOKIE,ILL
    Posts
    1,757
    My Cars
    EXOTICS
    He can't afford to, BMW car key expenses come first!!
    "Choosing the correct shop is as important as the correct diagnosis

    Former owner of a Red RL411 wannabe owner of pictured vehicle

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    1,027
    My Cars
    2001 525it
    The dealer only ews chip in key shaft

Similar Threads

  1. Where can i get turbo kit for my bmw 330ci?
    By yutij13 in forum 1999 - 2006 (E46)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-04-2014, 10:50 AM
  2. Where is the best place to get another key for my 2001 X5
    By NJ Wildman in forum General BMW sponsored by Intercity Lines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
  3. where can i buy another key for my 03 m3?
    By pandp in forum 2001 - 2006 M3 (E46)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
  4. Where can i get blue bulbs for my headlights??
    By Badmannorz in forum BMW Rides & Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 02:09 PM
  5. where can i get new bulbs for my m5 fog lights
    By wasya_s4 in forum 1988 - 1996 (E34)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 02:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •