Thread: Where can I get another key for my BMW?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

Where can I get another key for my BMW?

Ok, this is what happened. ...my BMW was in impound for 60 days. When it was released I noticed my fob key did not lick or unlock the doors. Then after driving to my destination, the key would not come out of the ignition. I jiggled it and moved the steering wheel and shifter around. No luck. So I waited about 10-15 minutes and the key came out no problem. This key being stuck in the ignition thing now happens everytime I turn off ignition. Very annoying. I realize that the battery in the key charges itself while in the ignition. After not being driven for 60 days I'm sure my problem was a dead battery. So, I bought a new battery and the housing etc for it and have had no luck. I don't want to buy a new key from BMW. Is there anywhere I can get a key besides BMW?

My Cars
    2xe9xM3,00540,00323
    Just bought a non FOB for my e39 from thebmwminipartstore $57 shipped. They have FOBs too, but they are expensive. You will need a copy of registration and drivers license to send to them. I got mine in 4 days.

Chris

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcbean55 View Post
    Is there anywhere I can get a key besides BMW?
    Over the years, I have seen it posted before that all keys, regardless of where you buy them, come from BMW NA in some form or another. Only BMW knows the key cut pattern. You can order one from a variety of sources but they are just being a middleman taking a cut.

Your best bet is to go to the dealer, provide proof of ownership and pay the price for a new key. It's generally about $185.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    I did buy one online and it didn't work. And it has an uncut key attached to it and it can't be removed to put my cut key in it . Regardless, it didn't work on locks anyways. It's not as easy as it looks on Google. I guess I will just go to BMW. Thanks

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    I did buy one online and it didn't work. And it has an uncut key attached to it and it can't be removed to put my cut key in it . Regardless, it didn't work on locks anyways. It's not as easy as it looks on Google. I guess I will just go to BMW. Thanks
    Why didn't it work? It shouldn't be necessary to remove the key blade, why can't you just get the blank one cut?

I bought a cheap €7 key that you can find on ebay, got it cut for the car by copying the original, programmed the ews chip and it works fine including remote locking and starting the engine. Granted, there are some subtle differences between the original keys and the cheaper copies but for the price they are well worth it.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    I can make you any car key you need. PM me if you are interested. I do it for members here for a very reasonable price.
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Pay your car tax bills first!

Ok, this is what happened. ...my BMW was in impound for 60 days. When it was released I noticed my fob key did not lick or unlock the doors. Then after driving to my destination, the key would not come out of the ignition. I jiggled it and moved the steering wheel and shifter around. No luck. So I waited about 10-15 minutes and the key came out no problem. This key being stuck in the ignition thing now happens everytime I turn off ignition. Very annoying. I realize that the battery in the key charges itself while in the ignition. After not being driven for 60 days I'm sure my problem was a dead battery. So, I bought a new battery and the housing etc for it and have had no luck. I don't want to buy a new key from BMW. Is there anywhere I can get a key besides BMW?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    He can't afford to, BMW car key expenses come first!!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The dealer only ews chip in key shaft