Thread: e30 convertible tonneau cover

My Cars
    92' e30 convertible

e30 convertible tonneau cover

Hi Guys

First time poster to the forums. I have a 1992 E30 convertible with an automatic top that I have acquired two months ago. My question is this, when the top is down and folded in the well, the tonneau cover sticks up about 3/4" on the passenger side rear. Is there an adjustment that would allow the cover to sit flush? It almost seems as if the cover for the mechanicals located in the top well is preventing the top from folding enough to allow the tonneau cover to sit flush. Can anyone help?

My Cars
    97 ///M3
    This is a common issue if the tension straps are worn. The top needs some help to fold properly. Stop the top just before it is completely folded and Make sure the tension straps are tucked in. Once it is in the well and before the kid closes give the top a push to seat it in the well. Then close the lid.

As well, BMW came up with a revised plastic cover for the motor sometime in 92 which protected the top from cuts but sat higher compounding the issue.

Congrats on having an operating automatic top they are rare.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    92' e30 convertible
    Thanks so much for the advice. I have tried pushing the top down into the well, but the passenger side just won't drop down as far as the driver's side. I even removed the mechanism cover with no different results. I will take a second look to make sure the tension straps are folding as they should. Once again, thank you for the information.
    92' 325i (e30) cabriolet
    87' 325e coupe (is conversion)

My Cars
    97 ///M3
    No problem. I should have mentioned that it will never go down as much as the driver's side. Does the lid close properly without the top stored? Prior to locking the top which pushes the back down.

The reason I ask as on my 1992 a previous owner tried to force the lid closed without the top folded properly and bent the hinge. Even without the top stored the lid had a gap if about inch. I have worked this down to about a 1/4 inch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    92' e30 convertible
    Sorry I haven't checked back in a while, but I found one of the hinges at the base was in fact bent outward. It wasn"t easy, but I managed to bend it back enough so that the interference was gone. The roof now folds well again. Thanks again for your input !
    92' 325i (e30) cabriolet
    87' 325e coupe (is conversion)