Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Aftermarket radio

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

Aftermarket radio

I recently purchased a 2003 BMW 530i. I was wondering if any of the guru's out there can tell me if this aftermarket radio would work with it. Thank you in advance.

Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7" WVGA Capacitive Touchscreen Display and Included ND-BC8 Back Up Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2AOT85..._J4.pzbJZ4R91F

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You can fit any aftermarket head unit you wish to the E39. You need to be aware of the double DIN chassis size of the unit as it has a disk mechanism internally. If you wish for the unit to sit flush with the dash contours, you'll need to cut/modify the cabin airbox to allow the unit to 'sit' further back. This adds to time/costs as you'll need a fitting kit and then if you aren't so confident in installing car audio equipment, the fitting charges by a reputable and knowledgeable car audio installer who knows how to modify the airbox correctly.

You can omit the issues of fitment if you

1. Choose a fitting kit which 'tilts' the head unit's lower rear edge to clear the 'top front edge' of the cabin airbox.
    2. Choose a shallow depth mechless head unit - Alpine iLX-007 or Parrot Asteroid Smart.

Hopefully, soon more premium, respectable and recognised car audio brands will release more shallow depth fully featured double DIN head units that have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on board natively. Alpine are due to have their unit out in the USA now or very shortly apparently.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2002 540iT Sport Wagon
    I have the Pioneer NEX4200 in my e39 touring.
    1. I did not have DSP so it was a pretty easy
    2. I had the factory NAV so I had to run a very long handmade harness to the back to mate with the radio harness.
    3. Used the factory amp with factory speakers
    4. Used the Metra kit, I did not and would not cut my airbox.
    5. the upgrade using stock amp, speakers, and sub sounds great IMO

I bought the Pioneer because it has the adjustable screen, tilting it to make it easier to see in the driving position. I sold all my original gear on ebay to pay for the radio and other mods/repairs. Just be prepared to break a lot of aged plastic parts and make friends with your local BMW parts manager.

IMG_0654.jpgIMG_0659.jpg