Thread: Transfer Case Issue - Advice Needed!

My Cars
    X3

Transfer Case Issue - Advice Needed!

My 2011 X3 xDrive28i has been shuddering/hesitating on low speed turns for about 6 months now. In August 2016, one of my rear tires went bad and was continuously loosing air, was replaced by the same tire and specs, (the other three tires were not changed). Thereafter the car ran fine for about four months and in January one day while I was parking in my apartment building's car garage, upon turning it felt like a tire was hesitating or something was stuck in it. The issue was sometimes more pronounced and sometimes non-existent. I took it to a local mechanic who fixes BMWs and he said the front tires need changed. He changed the front tires (so now I had two brand new tires in the front, one tirewhich was put on 4 months ago along with an older tire in the rear. The issue seemed to have gone away. I did not feel any hesitance or shuddering for a few weeks and then it started all over again. Frustrated with my experience with the first mechanic this time I researched a bit more and found two garages which are more reputable. Both of them confirmed that the transfer case needs changed. Both of them proposed I swap it with a donor from a salvaged car. The cost garage#1 quoted was around $1400 and he said after the work is done he will guarantee the part/work for 10 days, this guys only deals in high end Mercedes/BMWs/Range Rovers. The cost garage#2 quoted was $1800 and he would guarantee the part/work for 30 days, his is more a general repair workshop but is well equipped and also recommended highly, but they do not just do BMWs or german cars. I asked both of them if they could rebuild the Transfer case and garage#1 said it can't be done, garage#2 said that he had tried it with a few customers but it tends to breakdown on the Beemers (he said on the Range Rovers the rebuilt transfer cases work fine).

I would like to see what the forum members thoughts are on this issue. I was not aware of replacing the tires at the same time otherwise probably I would not have encountered this issue. Some lessons are learnt the hard way.

Here are my questions: (...and thank you for reading through and providing your input)

1) Would you suggest I go with garage#1 who deals more exclusively with german cars and is providing a lesser warranty OR garage#2 who deals with mostly all types of cars but is giving a shorter warranty?

2) My current tire tread depths are as follows: Front tires: 6.5mm, Rear Passenger: 5.5mm and Rear Driver: 3mm. After getting the transfer box changed should I get all 4 new tired ($$$$, they're around $350each). Or two new at the rear? Or just one at the rear that's most worn? I'm currently using Pirelli P7 RFTs 245/50 R18.

3) Garage#1 told me as did the very first guy I went to that tire depth doesn't matter as long as it's the same make/specs/tread. Now that's pretty much opposite of what I've read on the forums here. Garage#2 agreed that different tire depths makes the transfer box work harder and puts undue wear on it and he suggested I change the tires after getting a new transfer box. What do you guys think?

4) I want to see if other people got their transfer cases fixed and provided I be vigilant with my tires, I want to know if this issue gets fixed or does it keep recurring?

5) Also, I've seen a lot of videos and read posts about people rebuilding transfer cases/actuator motors on older X5s and X3s. Does anyone know how to distinguish whether theactuatormotor is bad or the actual transfer case is? The garage people told me that it's definitely the transfer case.

6) Finally, I've read some posts where people have had similar issues and they flushed the Transfer Case oil and put new oil in it and it worked for them. Does anyone know if this is a long term fix or does this just make it better temporarily?

I'm sorry for making this so long. I intend to keep the car for a few years and am pretty good at taking care of my car. Had I known to change all tires together I would not have been bothering you guys. I've read through many posts on the transfer case issue and just want some advice. Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Sorry to hear about your troubles but xfer case issues on E83 is fairly common and NOT caused by your tires if they are the same size and brand regardless of tread depth.

Usually a VTG actuator ( transfer case motor ) will fix the problem but you need to tell the vehicle it's been replaced ( service function )

I would first inspect your fluid and see if there is any metal or hunks of anything in it. E83 transfer case fluid is normally black and stinks but it's not a cause for alarm.
    second I would crawl under the truck and unplug the transfer case motor ( when the car is cold ) as you will burn your fingers trying to access it hot ). See if the jerking sensation is eliminated. YOU WILL turn on a bunch of 4X4 lights and DSC lights but they should clear when the VTG actuator is plugged back in and there's been a key cycle.
    If the sensation goes away you most likely need a transfer case motor BUT BMW has just released a kit to rebuild the motors which is a little cheaper than a new one. The plastic gears inside the motor get worn down over time and don't allow the VTG motor to operate properly.
    Although transfer case issues are common, transfer case actuator issues are WAAAYYY more common and will usually give the same faults when tested. Normally they have codes like " transfer case internal " and " VTG nominal torque " usually accompanied by FC 54C6 for transfer case oil wear limit reached.

I understand people avoid the dealer for non warranty repairs when possible but the dealer has ALOT more info then an Indy guy. If I were you I would take it to a dealership for diagnosis at the minimum. I'd venture a guess many people have had unnecessary transfer case replacement due to non BMW shops not really understanding the faults they are seeing. Many times a new transfer case fixes the issue as it usually comes with a new motor on it.
    If the dealership says you need a transfer case as well you can atleast move forwards with confidence on the real issue regardless of where you get the work done.
    I personally think 10 day and 30 day warranties are sketchy as shit for nearly 2K dollars. Just an FYI BMW dealerships have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on all parts even if purchased over the counter.
    Last edited by SlackTube; 06-14-2017 at 08:22 PM.

My Cars
    X3
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackTube View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles but xfer case issues on E83 is fairly common and NOT caused by your tires if they are the same size and brand regardless of tread depth.

Usually a VTG actuator ( transfer case motor ) will fix the problem but you need to tell the vehicle it's been replaced ( service function )

I would first inspect your fluid and see if there is any metal or hunks of anything in it. E83 transfer case fluid is normally black and stinks but it's not a cause for alarm.
    second I would crawl under the truck and unplug the transfer case motor ( when the car is cold ) as you will burn your fingers trying to access it hot ). See if the jerking sensation is eliminated. YOU WILL turn on a bunch of 4X4 lights and DSC lights but they should clear when the VTG actuator is plugged back in and there's been a key cycle.
    If the sensation goes away you most likely need a transfer case motor BUT BMW has just released a kit to rebuild the motors which is a little cheaper than a new one. The plastic gears inside the motor get worn down over time and don't allow the VTG motor to operate properly.
    Although transfer case issues are common, transfer case actuator issues are WAAAYYY more common and will usually give the same faults when tested. Normally they have codes like " transfer case internal " and " VTG nominal torque " usually accompanied by FC 54C6 for transfer case oil wear limit reached.

I understand people avoid the dealer for non warranty repairs when possible but the dealer has ALOT more info then an Indy guy. If I were you I would take it to a dealership for diagnosis at the minimum. I'd venture a guess many people have had unnecessary transfer case replacement due to non BMW shops not really understanding the faults they are seeing. Many times a new transfer case fixes the issue as it usually comes with a new motor on it.
    If the dealership says you need a transfer case as well you can atleast move forwards with confidence on the real issue regardless of where you get the work done.
    I personally think 10 day and 30 day warranties are sketchy as shit for nearly 2K dollars. Just an FYI BMW dealerships have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on all parts even if purchased over the counter.
    Hi SlackTube,
    It was good to get at least one response. Thank you. Your reply was very insightful and that's exactly what I am trying to figure out here. Since I am a first time BMW owner and previously I've had Merecedes and Pontiacs, I know every car has it's own quirks. It is so very hard to get relevant information especially on a transfer case problem where threads run for 30+ pages. I have sat down and read many posts and threads and still my understanding of the transfer case is rather rudimentary.

I do have a service package on the vehicle which is basically where the dealer takes care of oil changes, spark plugs and brakes. The warranty has expired. The dealer charges around $600 for a diagnosis and estimate, if you get the vehicle repaired from them then they apply that towards the repair. I'll try to find out their rates for a rebuilt transfer case.

Regarding the actuator motor, I've read the threads and saw some videos as well. I know there is a funny noise that comes when you turn off the car. And, I do have a very short and high pitched buzzing crank once I turn off the car. It is not as long as I see in the videos on line but it's definitely noticeable. Now most videos are of the older X5s and the X3s (E83), while my car is the F25 which is the 2011 version. Someone else on the forum had mentioned that the F25 transfer case was an improved version of the older one.

You are right about the shitty warranties offered by the two garages. I'm just demoralized by this whole issue, I am new here and cannot get a proper reference for a decent mechanic. And to add to that your analysis seems very accurate where mechanics are intent on changing the transfer case even if its a the motor thats problematic. I did bring up this issue with both the mechanics and they reacted like they've never heard of such a thing. I asked both of them about rebuilding the cases and they gave me a 'wtf' are you talking about look. One said he tried doing a rebuild and the car broke down afterwards hence he doesn't recommend it. Which makes me wonder if he just made that story up to make his life easier.

Anyhow, again, thank you for your insight.
    Last edited by Danielali; 02-14-2019 at 04:06 PM.