Thread: Newbie questions about DIY maintainability

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual

Newbie questions about DIY maintainability

Never owned a BMW before. I'm looking at a 2010 535Xi manual wagon as a possible upgrade from my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT manual wagon. Nice fast AWD manual wagons don't come easily, and this is a pretty cool opportunity.

I'm an automotive DIYer. I don't hesitate to replace a clutch in my Subarus, and I'm familiar with the basics of monitoring fuel trims, misfires, etc. to help diagnose performance problems and keep my cars running tip-top. I'm no professional, but not afraid to get my hands dirty.

I've owned 5 turbocharged cars, all modified, none heavily, and I'm generally familiar with the concepts of how proper tuning maintains boost, mixtures, and timing to prevent knock and protect the engine. But till now they've all been 4-bangers with single turbos.

Thing is, I have no idea if BMWs of this era are a bunch harder to maintain and repair than the cars I know. I have an '02 Audi A4 that's no problem to work on, but I'm worried this new machine might be a different sort of animal.

Can anyone offer advice on whether I can expect to be able to maintain and repair this car myself? Cause I have no intention of pouring my money into a repair shop.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 530I
    My 02 cents.

These cars are a fun to drive and own as you already know but one thing that I would strongly recommend is to get a good OBD2 scanner.

Not a generic scanner but something that can diagnose multiple systmes on a BMW. At a minimum you need a scanner that can troubleshoot engine, transmission, abs, and airbag. Even though an obd2 scanner that is capable of diagnosing all systems would be great.

These cars are full of technology and control units. Soon you will find out that without a good scanner you won't get very far.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    For general engine operation, I use an OBDLink MX with Torque Pro. To pull ABS, SRS, transmission, and manufacturer-specific chassis/body codes, I use a Launch CRP123, whose BMW definitions I'll update before going to test drive the car today. For my Subarus, I use a Subie-specific app with the OBDLink. What do you recommend for late-model BMWs?

Apologies if I wasn't specific about what challenges I'm worried about. Let's say I need to replace the thermostat or brake pads. Should I expect to spend an hour with the tools I have (not quite professional, but nothing to be ashamed of), or are we talking a weekend and $500 in BMW-specific tools?

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    FWIW, the answers I sought are available aplenty at
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731460

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    We think alike ;-) I have a 2005 Outback XT 5spd next to our 535i xDrive 6spd. Plan was to replace the Outback, but the E60 is just too nice to go exploring fireroads or hauling lumber etc so we have them both. Also had a 1998 A4 and 2003 A6 holy cow those were money pits.

So anyway, brake pads are no problem.

Thermostat (and water pump while you're at it) will take a day+ ... no special tools, but $500 for the WP+TSTAT.

Subaru's are notoriously easy to work on, our Audi's were not. The BMW probably has just as poor reliability as the Audi's but at least it is easy to work on. Things are pretty straightforward. You won't need many special tools; the code reader is crucial (I use the Carly app) and you'll want a set of the Torx sockets. bavauto.com and pelicanparts.com are good resources for tools, parts, and above all, repair information. There's also a "so you just bought an E60" and "mike millers BMW maintenance" pdf's floating around the internet.

Getting a manual transmission will help you avoid half the mechanical issues with the car. The other half relate to water pumps, carbon buildup, and various oil leaks, the occasional turbo. The engine internals are solid. Then there's all the other stuff like ECU failures that will crop up over time.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I DIY my 08 535xit with 120k. 5series.net seems to have the best tech. I should think about radiator and hoses. WP done under warranty about 4 years ago. Also have rattling WG on cold start.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum - take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles on the E60 platform. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

BMW 5-Series E60 (2004-2010) Technical Articles
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    As a whole, the diy is as you expect. The hard part is sometimes the need to use the car computers to change specific settings as a part of the repair or upgrade process.

For example the battery has to be coded to the car after replacing so that the cars charging system knows how much to charge the battery, reducing load on the charging circuit etc. A scan and program tool is necessary or a good Indy who has oem software and knows how to use it. Basics like an oil change don't need anything special

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by sid the sloth View Post
    As a whole, the diy is as you expect. The hard part is sometimes the need to use the car computers to change specific settings as a part of the repair or upgrade process.

For example the battery has to be coded to the car after replacing so that the cars charging system knows how much to charge the battery, reducing load on the charging circuit etc. A scan and program tool is necessary or a good Indy who has oem software and knows how to use it. Basics like an oil change don't need anything special
    well said, sid. the electronics in the car are far more extensive than any other car of similar vintage that I have ever worked on. it's definitely worth investing in the appropriate tech to be able to interact with the various systems in modules. you will probably hear people mention carly for bmw, which seems to be the easiest way to perform basic diagnosis and coding. however, if you want to take a deep dive into the electronics and coding, you will need a proper OBDII cable, and BMW software (TIS, WDS, INPA, ISTA, WINFKP), most of which can be found on the net.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I am completely on-board with what BostonJohn is saying. I DIY on anything from my old 1968 Mustang, to our 06 530xi. The 530xi is a rolling computer system, with 54 central processors and 257 interactive systems crammed in (IIRC). You MUST have an excellent OBD-II tool to diagnose any issue. Carly looks like a great OBD tool and is very affordable. However, a Windows laptop running INPA/WinKFP/NCSExpert really is the way to go. The thread below is the best one I have seen for installing a current version of the software.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...xperimentation

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    I just want to caveat that on my E36, diy was so incredibly straightforward that it was hardly a chore. The E60 is far more sophisticated. My background is computer engineering and I work on industrial control systems and I have next to no desire to do any form of electronic programming at home on the car. Much rather give it to someone who can warranty work to a degree and knows his or her way around the craziness of all those computers. My thought anyway. As a whole the car is very reliable so I wouldn't fret too much, honestly.