Thread: Is this EWS diagnosis correct?

My Cars
    2001 325xi Touring

Is this EWS diagnosis correct?

I have a 2001 325xi automatic wagon. Intermittent no start. Replaced antenna ring. Replaced ignition switch.

When it fails:
    I have 12 volts at the input (black/blue) wire of the EWS from the ignition switch when I turn key to start.
    I also have 12 volts at terminal 6 on the EWS in the start position, so the neutral safety switch should be good.
    I'm getting a door chime with the key in the ignition and drivers door open, so in theory the key is being recognized by the EWS.
    I have no voltage on the output (black) wire to the starter with the key in the start position.

This all should point to a failing EWS module, correct? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks,
    Keen

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    These cars have EWS3. Do a search for EWS.pdf. It explains everything about EWS3 and other versions of it. My experience with EWS says it either works or it doesn't. There's no intermittent
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 06-12-2017 at 06:10 PM.

My Cars
    2001 325xi Touring
    So, if the EWS isn't intermittent, what else might be causing my intermittent no crank? And why would I have no voltage at the EWS output to the starter? When it does crank, it starts well.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    The starter relay (part of ews module) is failing. If you can solder decent you should be able to open up the ews module and solder in a new relay. You can also bypass the ews starter relay circuit by connecting the two larger wires together. Last (most expensive) would be to replace the ews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 325xi Touring
    OK, finally solved this. I got a cable and INPA to read the codes. Turns out I had a code 128 EWS parity error. Apparently this almost always suggests a bad key, and sure enough, a new key has fixed the problem.

So what this means is that all those posts in various internet BMW forums that a door chime means the key is recognized by the EWS are wrong. I'm guessing that the door chime is just like other vehicles, and has nothing to do with the EWS. It only means there is a key physically in the cylinder.

Thanks for the help,
    Keen

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the the cluster lights up but there are no clicking noises when starting always try another key first