Thread: E36 sbc swap

My Cars
    328is 318is

E36 sbc swap

Looking for info on how expensive it is getting a carbureted 305/350 sbc to run competely in my E36 328is. I'm planning on selling the complete 2.8 swap, il be making custom motor mounts and custom trans mounts and I'll be fabricating anything else I need to. With all that in mind I'm wondering what things I would HAVE TO BUY and what things I'll have to keep in the engine bay as well as with the car. This is going to be my first v8 swap.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    any reason your wanting to use the 350 and not an LS?

My Cars
    95 M3
    For how cheap the LS truck motor's are and how easy it is to make power, there's no reason to even consider an SBC.
    95 M3, 5.3 LS, PTE 7675CEA, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
    10.4@136 Pump gas at 3530lbs.

Build thread
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...LS-Turbo-build

My Cars
    328is 318is
    I just want a 350, cheap to buy, easy to find, and parts are also cheap. I'm looking to do the most simple swap without actually pouring money into it like a budget build.

My Cars
    328is 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    For how cheap the LS truck motor's are and how easy it is to make power, there's no reason to even consider an SBC.
    How cheap?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowe36Frank View Post
    How cheap?
    They can be had for a few hundred dollars, there's a lot of info on here if you do some searching.
    Instergrams: @davemakepictar

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    I've built a few SBC's on a budget but I have to agree with everyone that it doesn't make sense to build one anymore unless it's for nostalgia. The LS based truck motors are apples to apples better in every way. Don't get me going on carbs. It's often said that they're easier to tune but very few people truly know how to tune one correctly. Jets, power valves, PVRCs, air bleeds, accelerator pumps, pump cams, nozzles, etc. I had to learn all that tuning a blow through turbo SBC. It took a long long time to get it right using a WBO2 and even still it can't compare to an OEM EFI system in tune accuracy. Not trying to be discouraging but just trying to advise that you might find that the end result doesn't justify the time, money, and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    328is 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    This.

They can be had for a few hundred dollars, there's a lot of info on here if you do some searching.
    I'll be looking into the LS swap, but it's pricey compared to the 305/350 I think, I have been looking locally but still almost double the price just for the motor since it's an " LS " as I was just told lol

My Cars
    328is 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL350 View Post
    I've built a few SBC's on a budget but I have to agree with everyone that it doesn't make sense to build one anymore unless it's for nostalgia. The LS based truck motors are apples to apples better in every way. Don't get me going on carbs. It's often said that they're easier to tune but very few people truly know how to tune one correctly. Jets, power valves, PVRCs, air bleeds, accelerator pumps, pump cams, nozzles, etc. I had to learn all that tuning a blow through turbo SBC. It took a long long time to get it right using a WBO2 and even still it can't compare to an OEM EFI system in tune accuracy. Not trying to be discouraging but just trying to advise that you might find that the end result doesn't justify the time, money, and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would rather go carb, I would be buying a competely brand new I don't know much about them but I don't have a problem learning about them. And as far as tuning goes I'm trying to keep it simple and do the lease of any tuning then I would already have to do with just the carb and motor, what I'm asking is wouldn't it be easier to just swap in a carb 305/350 then a LS ( not looking for power ) iv seen people run 305/350's on the bare floor with a battery.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    So what headers/exhaust manifolds would you use...none on the market that I'm aware of. Likely the biggest expense/time consumer.

A 5.3 truck motor will make more than a well tuned Gen I engine...with an aluminum block that is only ~$300 more compared to $3000 for a Gen I.

My Cars
    95 M3
    The 4.8 in my e30 was $275 delivered with a 6mo warranty.

I've never paid more than $350 for an iron block 5.3 complete, intake to pan.
    95 M3, 5.3 LS, PTE 7675CEA, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
    10.4@136 Pump gas at 3530lbs.

Build thread
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...LS-Turbo-build