Thread: Trying to learn NCS Expert

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

Trying to learn NCS Expert

I spent last weekend reading threads until my eyes bled. I think I've got the basics. Is this how it works? Car is a 2004 330.

Use NCS to create a trace file for a module
    At this point you can disconnect from the car and go inside to work on the coding
    Save a copy of the trace file as an emergency backup
    Use NCS Dummy to translate the trace file and make changes to the code settings
    Use NCS and load a profile that has manipulation enabled and write the new settings to the module
    Turn off the ignition for 10 seconds then test to see if the changes work as expected.

Ok there is a few steps I'm leaving out but that's the basics correct?

I created a profile with manipulation enabled. All the threads I read said you read with Expert Mode then you write with the profile that has manipulation enabled. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use my new profile for everything?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    There are 2 "ways" to use NCSExpert.

1. Like you have been using with DIS, edit VO/ZCS and code all modules.

2. Customized coding (non factory) by editing the .TRC file for the module you want to customize.

NCS Dummy is only needed for #2, and I only really use it for the translations and/or options available.

A few common jobs you have to be familiar with what they do:

FA_Write - writes the VO only. Does not change any settings. Usually only done to EWS/CAS, KOMBI, FRM, LCM. Only for modules that store the VO.
    ZCS_Schreiben - writes the ZCS (older cars). Does not change settings. Usually in EWS, KOMBI, or LCM.
    Codierdaten_Lesen - reads the coding data and outputs a text translated .TRC file. Useful for editing just one module custom settings.
    SG_Codieren - writes the module settings according to the VO or ZCS. The program automatically translates your text .TRC (or .MAN) file into hex code and writes it into the module.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Thanks. It's getting easier as I become more comfortable with the terminology

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I've always used #2.

I open NCS and NSC Dummy, as Dummy makes it so easy to just thick the boxes.

Then it's all superfast. Read module in NCS. Switch to Dummy and open tracefile. Thick boxes and export tracefile. Switch to NCS, change job to code, hit button.

Then I usually re-read the module and verify in Dummy if coding was succesfull. But after doing it so much now, with known modules I usually don't bother anymore.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Hey guys, sorry for the thread jack. Hoping to get some help on coding a used LCM to my E39. I've read all the threads on NCS Dummy and Expert over and over again but need some clarification.

I believe I have NCS Dummy and Expert working. I purchased a KCAN/DCAN cable that supports the EDIABAS software group and it should be coming shortly.

I am coding a used LCM IIIB to my E39. I set the mileage and vin successfully using PA soft. Now all lights are working except for the turn signals and high beams. From previous threads it looks like I need to fix this by coding the LCM to default E39 settings with NCS. I don't know what that means. Everything I have read on NCS shows modifications being made to individual coding options (aktiv & neight_aktiv). Is there a separate part of NCS to "code a module to E39 settings"?
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    1998 740il
    You need PA soft to set the VIN and mileage part, Then you need the INPA cable to code the module to the car so it will actually work.

My Cars
    E46 M52TU 323i 2003
    seems to view photo's you have to upgrade the photobucket account for the cost of $399usd yearly ...have used photobucket and never had to pay