Thread: Billows of white smoke out of exhaust on start up

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530i

Billows of white smoke out of exhaust on start up

IMG_1810.jpgJust today I started my car and it started billowing white smoke out of the exhaust pipes. It went away on my drive home, and then I checked the oil dipstick and it was fine and I checked the coolant level and t was a little low so i topped it off. The coolant was not discolored. I took it out for a test and there was just a tiny bit of white smoke in start up but it dissipated quickly, after about 15 mins it started smoking hard out of the exhaust again leaving clouds behind and noticeable loss of power. The idle is rough on startup but wuickly goes to normal after a few seconds. I just got my whole transmission replaced so I'm hoping it's not the head gasket or another costly repair.

I looked at a few other threads and some mentioned a faulty CCV valve and how to check it, if there was suction on the dipstick hole while the engine was on, and there was a tiny bit of suction in but not too much. Pulled codes with INPA and there is nothing, no CEL or anything.
    Before I take it to a shop I just want to know if anyone has had a similiar problem. Thanks!
    Last edited by mikeward617; 06-12-2017 at 01:56 AM.

My Cars
    1999 E46
    Is there a distinct smell from the smoke, almost sweet? That's usually the smell of burning coolant and a sign that the head gasket is gone. I had the same problem and it was the gasket but that was after the water pump failed and the car overheated so was pretty obvious what was wrong. I think getting a compression test done would be to best course of action.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I'd guess HG. Clogged crankcase vent possible if oil rather than coolant. I agree with trying the smell test.