Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Z3 owner, attempting to restore to former glory

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7

New Z3 owner, attempting to restore to former glory

Hi everyone. I added a new member to my BMW family this week. Purchased on June 8, 2017.

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 5-Speed
    136k Miles
    Condition: neglected

Some pictures:

2017.06.09 - First drive to work RF by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.09 - First drive to work LR by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.09 - First drive to work RR by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.09 - First drive to work Interior by George Fayad on 500px.com

Overall not the best condition but it was at the right price. Took delivery at about 9:30pm and immediately put the top down and drove it 50 miles down I80. Best. Feeling. Ever.

So far I noticed a few things:
    -Paint obviously is an issue along with the few dents and dings, that's going to get sorted out eventually.
    -Suspension could use a refresh. Squats hard under acceleration and the front end is plenty soft and a bit wobbly. Likely needs a full kit up front to get all the bushings nice and fresh. Looking at doing a slight drop too.
    -Top is shot. Back window is gone and the fabric is starting to fray. Seems the car was set outside for a large duration of its life.
    -Headlights are foggy. Decided to do a simple Mothers restore kit on them for now and likely look for some better headlights eventually

I gotta say this is a dream come true for me. I've wanted a Z3 for 21 years and can't express how exciting it is to finally own one. I can't wait to make this into a beautiful example of what a Z3 should look like.

My wife helped me out with some leather treatment on the interior. Still looks a bit faded, but overall much better than before.

I also spent some time with the headlights and got them to at least look presentable until I decide what kind of lights I want up

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup Before D by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup Before P by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup Compare by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup After D by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup After P by George Fayad on 500px.com

Not perfect, but good enough for now.

I've got the top all duct taped and held together for the most part. My priorities are to get the top replaced, get all the mechanical aspects of the car sorted out, then once it drives like it should, focus on the body and paint.

Edit: oh and I'm already 3d printing the pieces to fix the obnoxious seat sliding that happens when I hit the brakes.
    Last edited by JesterMX6; 06-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMX6 View Post
    Hi everyone. I added a new member to my BMW family this week. Purchased on June 8, 2017.

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 5-Speed
    136k Miles
    Condition: neglected

Some pictures:

2017.06.09 - First drive to work RF by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.09 - First drive to work LR by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.09 - First drive to work RR by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.09 - First drive to work Interior by George Fayad on 500px.com

Overall not the best condition but it was at the right price. Took delivery at about 9:30pm and immediately put the top down and drove it 50 miles down I80. Best. Feeling. Ever.

So far I noticed a few things:
    -Paint obviously is an issue along with the few dents and dings, that's going to get sorted out eventually.
    -Suspension could use a refresh. Squats hard under acceleration and the front end is plenty soft and a bit wobbly. Likely needs a full kit up front to get all the bushings nice and fresh. Looking at doing a slight drop too.
    -Top is shot. Back window is gone and the fabric is starting to fray. Seems the car was set outside for a large duration of its life.
    -Headlights are foggy. Decided to do a simple Mothers restore kit on them for now and likely look for some better headlights eventually

I gotta say this is a dream come true for me. I've wanted a Z3 for 21 years and can't express how exciting it is to finally own one. I can't wait to make this into a beautiful example of what a Z3 should look like.

My wife helped me out with some leather treatment on the interior. Still looks a bit faded, but overall much better than before.

I also spent some time with the headlights and got them to at least look presentable until I decide what kind of lights I want up

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup Before D by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup Before P by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup Compare by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup After D by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.06.11 - Headlight Cleanup After P by George Fayad on 500px.com

Not perfect, but good enough for now.

I've got the top all duct taped and held together for the most part. My priorities are to get the top replaced, get all the mechanical aspects of the car sorted out, then once it drives like it should, focus on the body and paint.

Edit: oh and I'm already 3d printing the pieces to fix the obnoxious seat sliding that happens when I hit the brakes.
    Lol.sounds like me just 3 weeks ago,identical car, check engine light,SRS light,rattles in back.squeak in steering column,stripped and painted those identical wheels Black,
    Fixed rattle in back by removing bumper counterweights,but only after changing out upper shock mounts which looked new.
    Make her your own baby..Fix one thing at a time,find 3 more,lol. Get on eBay and order a (Creator system scan tool C310+) your gonna need it...
    Welcome to the Forum,Brian..

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3

Save yourself some time and effort and buy these.
    http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/_p.../seat-bushings

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Congrats on the new ride. I also have a 97 and love it. Looks like one if the previous owners already retrofitted the roll hoops. The windshield surround is covered in black vinyl tape and there is new paint under there. Unless you are a stickler for keeping things OE, I recommend an aftermarket top (I have a GAHH top). Enjoy!
    Kelvin

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Watch out for the interior plastics; they're sure to be brittle and break easily on a sun-damaged car like that. Lots of those small interior pieces are $$$ or no longer available (ask me how I know).

Otherwise, should be a great project. A new top and some new paint will take that car a long way.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Save yourself some time and effort and buy these.
    http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/_p.../seat-bushings
    That's the same thing i'm 3d printing.

Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. I also have a 97 and love it. Looks like one if the previous owners already retrofitted the roll hoops. The windshield surround is covered in black vinyl tape and there is new paint under there. Unless you are a stickler for keeping things OE, I recommend an aftermarket top (I have a GAHH top). Enjoy!
    I'm not one of the OE type of BMW owners. I've had a long list of BMWs and never had issues with aftermarket (even flat out cheap) parts. I ordered a Haartz Twillweave off of eBay and imagine I'll be perfectly happy with it.

So that black on the windshield is just vinyl tape? I thought it was some type of coating these come with.

Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    Watch out for the interior plastics; they're sure to be brittle and break easily on a sun-damaged car like that. Lots of those small interior pieces are $$$ or no longer available (ask me how I know).

Otherwise, should be a great project. A new top and some new paint will take that car a long way.
    Thanks. Yeah I've had issues with the plastics in my E34 and E36 and know the struggle all too well. Once the new top is on it'll be a lot easier to DD too. I don't plan to stick her in a garage to keep miles off or anything like that. This gal will get driven. Hard.

As for paint, that'll be one of the last things I do. And even then, I'm not sure I'm going to keep it red. I truly dislike red cars and, while red fits the roadster really well, I'm more likely to end up picking black or silver in the end.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    ... The windshield surround is covered in black vinyl tape and there is new paint under there. Unless you are a stickler for keeping things OE, I recommend an aftermarket top (I have a GAHH top)....
    I removed the windshield tape, too:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4#post27567724
    And also have a GAHH top which cost about $500. The OE (BMW) top costs four times as much as a good aftermarket top.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/54318411122/
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    ^^ thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to remove the windshield tape instead of try and fix it. I actually quite like the look of it removed.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    I just bought a 98 Z3 in showroom condition from the original owner. Good look with the restore, take patience for that and I certainly don't have it.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Nothing substantial yet. Trying to get the musty smell out of for the most part which is always a challenge.

However until i buy an OE center tray, I 3D printed a cup holder to get me by.

2017.06.15 - 3d printed cup holder by George Fayad on 500px.com
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Musty smell? Get your hand under the carpet, both sides, by reaching under the seats where the split is and feel deep down forward for moisture....or puddles.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    yeah i've felt under there a bit and didnt find anything but i think once i have the seats out for the slide fix i'll get all the way under the carpet and see what i find. i think most of the issue is just the heavy rain we got while the rear window was busted. and since then its been 90F+ outside with the top closed just swimming in its own humidity.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... Trying to get the musty smell out...
    The natural smell in a dry Z3 is not musty. More like old leather.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The natural smell in a dry Z3 is not musty. More like old leather.
    thats the smell i'd prefer. I've had plenty of old bmws and they all smelled the same. this is the first one that hasn't had that smell and its driving me nuts lol
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Ordered a couple cheap bits for the car. Center vent assembly and a set of fog lights.

The top arrived, so I'm looking at getting that replaced soon. I also cut the muffler off and will likely just put a pipe in to replace it. Muffler delete on this car sounds incredibly good. No drone, no rasp, just a nice solid "european" exhaust note.

My biggest complaint about this car so far is the seats. These are by far the worst seats i've ever experienced in a BMW. Zero support, position is uncomfortable, no side bolsters. Its hardly what i'd expect from BMW, let alone in a roadster. My question is, i've seen threads about people upgrading to sport seats or fitting seats from other BMWs in the car but, has anyone fitted seats from other cars into one of these? I've got a pair of seats out of an FC Mazda RX-7 Turbo II and they're very comfortable and supportive. Also light which is a bonus in this case. Some basic measurements tell me they should fit without issue. I'm going to look closer at the mounting rails and see what modifications will be needed but I'm leaning towards these right now.

These aren't mine pictured, but the same style and color.
    DSC_5232.JPG

I'm thinking if they fit, I can worry about color matching later with seat covers or something.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Dinan S2
    Ordered a couple cheap bits for the car. Center vent assembly and a set of fog lights.

The top arrived, so I'm looking at getting that replaced soon. I also cut the muffler off and will likely just put a pipe in to replace it. Muffler delete on this car sounds incredibly good. No drone, no rasp, just a nice solid "european" exhaust note.

My biggest complaint about this car so far is the seats. These are by far the worst seats i've ever experienced in a BMW. Zero support, position is uncomfortable, no side bolsters. Its hardly what i'd expect from BMW, let alone in a roadster. My question is, i've seen threads about people upgrading to sport seats or fitting seats from other BMWs in the car but, has anyone fitted seats from other cars into one of these? I've got a pair of seats out of an FC Mazda RX-7 Turbo II and they're very comfortable and supportive. Also light which is a bonus in this case. Some basic measurements tell me they should fit without issue. I'm going to look closer at the mounting rails and see what modifications will be needed but I'm leaning towards these right now.

These aren't mine pictured, but the same style and color.
    DSC_5232.JPG

I'm thinking if they fit, I can worry about color matching later with seat covers or something.
    The stock Z3 seats are absolute garbage. The M seats are a huge improvement and what I would use if I wasn't tracking my car. I put a pair of Corbeau A4 wides in my Z3 (driver one has the bottom seat foam shaved). I love them. Putting in the seats from an unrelated car will have some interesting challenges with the brackets. I don't know how tall you are, but you'll have to be careful about the seat height - that would be my biggest concern.
    - 2000 540iT Dinan S2 -2000 Z3 -

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    glad i'm not alone in hating these seats . I guess i could keep an eye out for M seats, even if i do get the FC seats to work.

i'm short. 5'7"

from what i could see, height should be fine. the rx7 is a similarly sized interior and my fingers are crossed that they work. the side bolsters and bucket hug you and I have no problem giving up black leather since the car sits in the sun when i drive it to work.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and congrats on the ride! I'm attaching a helpful link to our site's DIY tech articles on the Z3 platform that I think you'll find valuable if you're going to be doing the maintenance and repairs yourself. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ch_main_Z3.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Welcome to the Z3 forum. Best thing for the stock seats is to have them restuffed and reupholstered. The foam is shot. When the are done they are actually quite comfortable. Sport and M seats are both better than the standard seats.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Saturday July 1, 2017

Replaced the lollipops, engine, and trans mounts today.

2017.07.01 lollipop removal by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.07.01 puller to remove bushing by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.07.01 condor offset bushing by George Fayad on 500px.com

2017.07.01 condor trans mounts by George Fayad on 500px.com

Also, test fit my Style 68 wheels. Originally bought them for the drift car, but they look pretty good on here. Need to strip the paint and see how it looks again without the peeling purple

2017.07.01 style 68 test fit by George Fayad on 500px.com

I've also got some style 73 wheels to test fit. I'm leaning towards the 73s because the 68s are wider and allow me to run better tires up front on the drift car, but we'll see what happens.

unfortunately, installing the solid lollipops just made me aware of my loose balljoints. I'll probably just replace both control arms instead of pressing new ball joints into them.
    Last edited by JesterMX6; 07-01-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Very cool project you have going. Keep us up to date. Good luck with your new ride.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Dinan S2
    unfortunately, installing the solid lollipops just made me aware of my loose balljoints. I'll probably just replace both control arms instead of pressing new ball joints into them.
    You have got to love it when that happens!

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Monday July 3, 2017

Started stripping the paint before getting interrupted by a thunderstorm forcing me inside. Fumes were too strong to proceed haha.

IMG_20170703_135020.jpg

IMG_20170703_143028.jpg

IMG_20170703_154055.jpg

It's such a tedious process. I'm half tempted to take them somewhere and have them blasted.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    I think I'm going to go with the style 73s. I like the multispoke look better with the curves of the Z.
    IMG_20170705_125809.jpg

Also, when shutting the door this happened...
    IMG_20170705_151327.jpg

So now I get to locate a drivers door panel.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Dinan S2
    You just need a new handle. I made a bracket out of aluminum and used window-weld to attach it to the handle. I think I made a second bracket for something else related to this and did the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast